Home-Made IEMs
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #13,906 of 15,989
Yeah! That's what it means to have their own method. It's just funny that we it's basically the opposite for us in methodology but same results nonetheless.
In fact I chose this method because it is the one where I go the fastest lol

I have to put two minutes under meshmixer to dig and make the nozzle full and then the 3D tubes have to take me 10 minutes maximum on fusion360

I even think I made a video under meshmixer

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #13,907 of 15,989
Tho right now, in some cases I laser cut my faceplates to the exact shape and dimensions of the shell since I don't trim impressions anymore. I scan them, 3D model them and 3D print them so I have basically the way to perfectly cut or even make an outline to cut the faceplate.

My method:
1. Scan impressions
2. Trim impressions via 3D modeling.
3. Export a dxf file in in the shape of the trimmed impressions.
4. Print impressions
5. Either laser cut or create an outline to cut the faceplate from the dxf file i made.
After creating the shell and cutting down to proper size, i place the shell on top vinyl adhesive. Then i use an xacto to cut out the shape. I remove that sticker of the shape and place that on the blank. I then use a bench grinder to remove excess and the dremel to clean up edges. After, install parts.

Use receiver tape to cover sound bores and painters tape to cover the 2-pin. Use a brightly lit background to check for gaps before finish buffing. I buff the whole shell with p400 prior to any installation so I dont have to buff the shell post install. Less catastrophic failure that way. 😂😂

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #13,914 of 15,989
Please make sure to do it in properly ventilated area (laquering chamber) and wear chemical protective mask. Methacrylate aerosol is no joke when breathed in.
Thank you Piotr for reminding me about the safety measures, I know them very well, I am also a shaper and a surfboard glasser so the 3M bi cartridge mask must have just been 20 years that I wear it :D and polyester resin and styrene is even more harmful :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back