Home-Made IEMs
Apr 11, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #13,862 of 15,989
I also got my planar drivers now and they've been a nightmare to tune to be honest. I noticed that all manufacturers seem to use this version of the driver with an added acoustic chamber.

58524C0D-782F-4CCC-85CF-2396EECDD90F.jpeg

Then I found this diagram from the new tinhifi iem and it seems to just be an extra housing glued to the rest of the driver.

4BA24747-8230-4E22-8179-D26D97EF021C.jpeg

I will try to 3d print something similar and hopefully that does the trick.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #13,864 of 15,989
When you say two successive layers, do you mean two layers prior to any curing? Not curing at all after the first? I realise it will start yellowing after too much exposure but I guess two blasts should be ok.

The latest unexpected problem I had was with gluing the tubes onto the BAs. The tubes had a good fit when dry but once I added epoxy they became too slippery and kept coming off. I did both at the same time so had a hard time holding them both still for long enough for it to set. Eventually used super glue and I think it's ok. Just hope nothing went in the nozzles
Ive been using Loctite 3301 UV Medical Adhesive and a UV pin light. Its lasts forever! Plus, it was made to adhere PVC to metal medical devices. If cured correctly, its really difficult to seperate the two with out using a razor of xacto.

Apr 12, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #13,867 of 15,989
I also got my planar drivers now and they've been a nightmare to tune to be honest. I noticed that all manufacturers seem to use this version of the driver with an added acoustic chamber.

Then I found this diagram from the new tinhifi iem and it seems to just be an extra housing glued to the rest of the driver.

I will try to 3d print something similar and hopefully that does the trick.
Timeless also has this and it is less annoying than the older ones, i don't know how the channel match as i have seen defective ones too

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #13,870 of 15,989
Check out this shell design for moondrop CHU, it looks a lot like what I ended up with for my 10mm single planar, might be a good candidate to put a 10mm planar into. And the general shape should be considered for those 14mm planars, but probably starting from the rectangular grill only, not from the full 14mm diameter. Keep volume to a minimum.

Screenshot_20220412-184150_AliExpress.jpg

I also ended up needing a special rear chamber, that was not very fun but I eventually got it.

20201218_165428.jpg

20210726_104148.jpg

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #13,871 of 15,989
Check out this shell design for moondrop CHU, it looks a lot like what I ended up with for my 10mm single planar, might be a good candidate to put a 10mm planar into. And the general shape should be considered for those 14mm planars, but probably starting from the rectangular grill only, not from the full 14mm diameter. Keep volume to a minimum.

I also ended up needing a special rear chamber, that was not very fun but I eventually got it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the back chamber didn't make a difference so I might try removing the back tuning paper next and then add the chamber. I tried different front volumes already with barely any difference but I'll definitely attempt going directly from the rectangular mesh like you said. What I've seen manufacturers use in terms of front volume seems pretty large though.

35983609-FFEF-459E-9497-CAE5A0B48518.jpeg

I also noticed that all of them use front vents which for me completely killed the bass response so maybe that's another clue that they don't use a back filter like on my drivers.

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #13,872 of 15,989
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the back chamber didn't make a difference so I might try removing the back tuning paper next and then add the chamber. I tried different front volumes already with barely any difference but I'll definitely attempt going directly from the rectangular mesh like you said. What I've seen manufacturers use in terms of front volume seems pretty large though.

I also noticed that all of them use front vents which for me completely killed the bass response so maybe that's another clue that they don't use a back filter like on my drivers.
I've been experimenting too, and I can't seem to get the front vent to work. I've tried dampening it with different types paper and foam but the bass response doesn't change too much. The back venting did seem to have a noticeable impact on the upper mid range though.
No front vent, 1mm back vent:
1649838134603.png

No front vent, 2mmm back vent:
1649838197111.png

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #13,873 of 15,989

35983609-FFEF-459E-9497-CAE5A0B48518.jpeg

They add paper damper at that front vent to restrict the flow and reduce bass a bit

Those damping sheet are sold on taobao i guess with different damping factor

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #13,875 of 15,989
Finished my first build. Sonion 1723WT03/9 dual driver with grey damper and stepped horn. I was going to go with the GVs first but after reading about so many people killing them during assembly i thought safer to try something simpler first.

Sound and comfort is good. Found the sound best with no damper or just the grey one. White was a bit dark.

Look is obviously not perfect but I am quite happy and I think the photos make the imperfections stand out more. However even spinning for ages before curing, I was not able to get a perfect faceplate. Not too bad though.

My next build will not be clear so I'm hoping that makes things a lot easier!

Thanks for all the help!

20220414_191850.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back