Home-Made IEMs
May 1, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #12,751 of 16,021
Any Feedback on my current Frequency response?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 00.29.24.png

May 2, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #12,752 of 16,021
I have a custom shell with 2 holes for tubes (old build with bad solder and damaged GV).

What’s the best build I can fit in this shell? I’m interested in the Finale 2 but the FED is out of stock. I’d like a build with lots of detail/resolution.
Use ED29689 and ED30761 savant built mentioned in this thread

Hey there :)

Last year I build iems with a BS6 + Zobel, sadly it seems that the left driver is giving up (I have no idea what's the reason, but it is ~20% quieter than the right now)

It seems that it is impossible to bet BS6 nowadays, but I really liked the sound of the build. Can you recommend a build with a similar sound signature?
BS6 has many iteration, which one in damper configuration.

If it was the bassy one, you can try dual CI and TWFK

If it's neutral one
Try masm 3 and also add a wbfk on top of it

If you want to design something new, then we can also help mate

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #12,753 of 16,021
Guys if you use EST...tape the cables to the drivers STRONG! I teared them off and had to resolder the smallest connection ever...

IMG-20210502-WA0019.jpeg

May 2, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #12,754 of 16,021
Guys if you use EST...tape the cables to the drivers STRONG! I teared them off and had to resolder the smallest connection ever...

IMG-20210502-WA0019.jpeg
ghademn, man. this gives me anxiety. I never use alligator clips with my drivers. If you must do, wrap them with heat shrink so it won't dent the drivers. better yet, use blu tack or tack it. :)) I also second being really careful with the ESTs. Good thing that I think I have spent a lot of time soldering in my life that I don't find it troublesome anymore to resolder this. But I did lift a pad off when I accidentally tugged the wire. That was not a good day to say the least.

May I ask your soldering setup?

May 2, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #12,755 of 16,021
ghademn, man. this gives me anxiety. I never use alligator clips with my drivers. If you must do, wrap them with heat shrink so it won't dent the drivers. better yet, use blu tack or tack it. :)) I also second being really careful with the ESTs. Good thing that I think I have spent a lot of time soldering in my life that I don't find it troublesome anymore to resolder this. But I did lift a pad off when I accidentally tugged the wire. That was not a good day to say the least.

May I ask your soldering setup?
Haha I've not noticed any denting or change in FR, the clamp force is not so high. I use a Hakko FX-888D soldering station on 480 C and this soldering holder with CFH electronic solder wire.

May 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #12,756 of 16,021
I use silicone tube as soft jaws when I put drivers in alligator clamps, get a wide reusable silicone drinking straw and cut off a short piece, put the driver inside and clamp. Or you could get smaller diameter and slip it over both jaws of the clamp.

May 2, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #12,758 of 16,021
Your 480*C makes me wonder about its high temperature. I always use 320*C. No flux, well pretinned litz.Zrzut ekranu 2021-05-2 o 21.26.52.png
Drivers took it fine so far, 480 was genius today, was able to solder EST driver pads in like 0.3 seconds haha, no big heat transfer to driver at all

May 2, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #12,760 of 16,021
Here's the best FR we achieved without EST Dhruv is talking about, it sounds like ass and as if singers are glued to their instruments, really smeared and congested all over the place, mids are sometimes even a single blob of sound, especially for electric guitar rock music. Worse than a KZ ATE to be honest, which is kind of unbelievable. I always measured the same amount of bass and it continues down to 6 Hz linear. However somewhere along the deep rumbling got lost and the bass texture too. I exchanged drivers too for the ones of the other channel, exact same graph and sound.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 01.14.12.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #12,761 of 16,021
Here's the best FR we achieved without EST Dhruv is talking about, it sounds like ass and as if singers are glued to their instruments, really smeared and congested all over the place, mids are sometimes even a single blob of sound, especially for electric guitar rock music. Worse than a KZ ATE to be honest, which is kind of unbelievable. I always measured the same amount of bass and it continues down to 6 Hz linear. However somewhere along the deep rumbling got lost and the bass texture too. I exchanged drivers too for the ones of the other channel, exact same graph and sound.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 01.14.12.png

What's the CSD like?

May 2, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #12,765 of 16,021
How are you physically measuring? In the shell with tack to seal the bore?

I breadboard stuff and use a temporary 3 bore nozzle with tubes, FR changes a bit when I put it in a shell, and resistance of the jumper wires have an effect, breadboard components vs small smd components, all has an effect, but I usually get close enough to the finished iem.

Example physical setup, obviously the alligator clips go to a breadboard.
20210308_193958.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back