Home-Made IEMs
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #12,736 of 15,977
Quick update on my build: 711 made things a lot easier to work with and Dhruv helped me out a lot! I got a neat FR now which sounds amazing with quick tests. EST has not been added yet. The spike at 6.5k is a coupler resonance. Bass extends down linear to 6 Hz, crazy!

No more 1000 ohm series for me haha :D

Edit: Most music sounds great, but classical music sounds super muddy! This is weird...

best.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #12,737 of 15,977
@dhruvmeena96 I swear , I came back to this thread 3 times.

@Aldo40 I was trying to hide who am I but you got me very fast . 😂 😉

I wanted to give up with diy iems many times but I simply can't. I love this hobby and I'll continue trying to make the absolute basshead iem with BAs for sure.

I never get you wrong and don't also get me wrong , We simply disagree in many things. We have different opinions , we think different but I learned from you guys helpful things , tips and tricks.
No matter if I'm a basshead or not .

General information about iems shells.
About 3d Printing shells I'm still a noob . It simply takes a lot of time for me to design tubes inside a shell and is difficult for me to make perfect universal iem shapes ( I like to share my iem builds ) One friend helps me with iem shells but aren't perfect.
Once I have a perfect universal stl file I'll post of course.

@dhruvmeena96
Now for the Atlas i like it a lot. Graphs doesn't show everything , All iems are source dependable , which dac/amp plays a role.
The output impedance - power output also. The ibasso dx220 have the best bass separation , output impedance and sound for me for example.

Atlas is my favorite iem because it is small and I don't want to look like a musician when I walk around or in the gym. For Diy iems I don't care how they look but only how they sound. The atlas It doesn't mute everything, is very very good iem and many will agree with it . I don't want to build with dual CIs , are too big in size and I don't like how they sound.
Like I said for me atlas is reference sounding with impressive dynamic sound and bass for a single DD.

I want to have also a flat response from 200hz to 1khz but I want a bass shelf with 9 db boost at 30 hz and boosted extended highs. 2389D is the best mid driver for me, I'll add 2x 2389D in my next build for sure.

Single DD iems can't have a perfect Bass shelf because are SINGLE DDs.
That's why you see everywhere this kind of bass shelf. For a single DD to have a perfect bass shelf , flat mids and extended highs is impossible at least for now.
The companies who make hybrid iems and sound worse than airpods pro and charge twice the price are completely noobs.
Imr acoustics have like I said the best 15mm bass drivers in the market .
Are also noobs when it comes to sound tuning. Have a lots of harsh treble for me .

No I don't listen to trance music. I hate trance. Dubstep is the best music for me ONLY for testing bass response . If I achieve to make Dabstep music to sound amazing on bass then I have reached my goal 🙂
Single DD cannot have perfect bass shelf?

Well you can tune it with perfect bass shelf , it's just that people don't go to the lengths hahahaha and it's time consuming in RnD

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #12,739 of 15,977
One dd to do it all perfectly ?
If so you don't need to build multi driver iems , better to start building iems with single DD .
Dhruv stop the madness.
You disagree on everything

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #12,740 of 15,977
If so you don't need to build multi driver iems , better to start building iems with single DD .
Dhruv stop the madness.
Dhruv is a genius pro, dude, he is right that DD can have proper bass shelf and the rest too. It's a whole different thing to do multi driver iems.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #12,741 of 15,977
Dhruv stop the madness.
Extended treble depends on how good the driver is
But bass shelf is dependent on how you make things happen in back and front air volume

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #12,742 of 15,977
I have a custom shell with 2 holes for tubes (old build with bad solder and damaged GV).

What’s the best build I can fit in this shell? I’m interested in the Finale 2 but the FED is out of stock. I’d like a build with lots of detail/resolution.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #12,743 of 15,977
How do you guys actually fit your sound tubes in premade shell nozzles? I got the soundlink 3D printed universal shells but I have 3 2mm ID (3mm outer diameter) tubes and more than 1 simply does not fit. I can probably go down to 1mm for bass but the other 2 need to stay at 2mm ID

Apr 30, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #12,745 of 15,977
Hey there :)

Last year I build iems with a BS6 + Zobel, sadly it seems that the left driver is giving up (I have no idea what's the reason, but it is ~20% quieter than the right now)

It seems that it is impossible to bet BS6 nowadays, but I really liked the sound of the build. Can you recommend a build with a similar sound signature?

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #12,746 of 15,977
Hey there :)

Last year I build iems with a BS6 + Zobel, sadly it seems that the left driver is giving up (I have no idea what's the reason, but it is ~20% quieter than the right now)

It seems that it is impossible to bet BS6 nowadays, but I really liked the sound of the build. Can you recommend a build with a similar sound signature?
It may not be a defect in the driver, but just a cold solder joint to be repaired. If you use Zobel - has the effect of lowering the volume.
Measure the L/P channel resistance with a meter, maybe it can be fixed if there is a difference in ohms.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #12,748 of 15,977
Thanks for the tips.
It may not be a defect in the driver, but just a cold solder joint to be repaired. If you use Zobel - has the effect of lowering the volume.
Measure the L/P channel resistance with a meter, maybe it can be fixed if there is a difference in ohms.
What do you mean with "- has the effect of reducing the volume"?
I tried measuring it, but all resistances and capacitances seems the same between both pieces.
Does it have filters? Check for clogged filters (or could just be moisture)
The filters do not seem clogged to me. I can't see any residue in them.

May 1, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #12,750 of 15,977
I had something super weird happen with my build today. Crossovers are all working fine. I changed the length of my mid driver tube and suddenly my bass volume was reduced dramatically, even though it still measure the same. It's as if the harmonic distortion has been impacted. All of the slam and male vocal emotionality is gone now. The mid driver should not affect that range as it cuts wayyy above in the FR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back