Home-Made IEMs
Apr 6, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #11,191 of 15,974
That's true. I was emailing with sonion and they told me the same thing. They told me I don't need a crossover but I can use a crossover. is not the same thing a subwoofer directly connected to the source with a subwoofer with crossover. It will have a deeper bass. :)

Yes and no. It won't have deeper bass. It will have less midrange content, which will SEEM like more low end.

I still say that particular sonion needs no additional filtering to be thundering. These crossovers are very shallow slope, so it's not like a driver stops playing at 236.01Hz. At best, we're getting a 6dB/octave roll off. That equates to 1/4 the power at, in the frequency I cited, 472.04, and then another -6dB at 944.08, and so on.

Apr 7, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #11,192 of 15,974
Hi.

I have a question about shells.
I look at the shells that famous companies make and what they make them out of? I know - its printed on a 3d printer.
How do they make such a smooth and shiny?
I attached some pictures from internet.

Attachments

• adv1.jpg
    adv1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
  • adv2.jpg
    adv2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • adv3.jpg
    adv3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #11,197 of 15,974
That's exactly what I'm interested in post-processing.
They either use a 3D printer which prints crystal clear from the start(can't remember the model name, something from envision Tec I think). Or they use a regular DLP or SLA printer and tumble their parts and lacquer them afterwards. At least that's how they produce hearing aids.

Apr 7, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #11,199 of 15,974
Yes that's true. You are right.
6db /octave roll of.
putting 2 capacitors and 2 resistors a second order low pass filter it will be a -40dB/decade or -12dB/octave. That means I must do better a 160hz "cut off"

Second Order Low Pass Filter

This will act as a pure subwoofer. Like a home cinema subwoofer.
My goal is, A not midrange focused iem, with emphasis on sub bass.
So It will not bleed the bass into midrange.
Not only this, but using capacitors and resistors it will be way easier for use with daps. The resistance will go up and the output voltage to the drivers will be decreased dramatically.

So now you’ve lowered your sensitivity, and introduced quite a bit of phase shift. Have you tried listening to them without all this complicated filtering?? You might be pleasantly surprised

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #11,202 of 15,974
2nd order is actually between 0 to 180 degree phase shift depending on the frequency. You cannot properly compensate phase shift with tube lengths.
45° at the cutoff frequency for a 1st order filter. 90° for a second order. You can compensate phase shift with tube length at the crossover frequency. So that you align the timing.

It is obviously frequency dependend and becomes harder the lower the frequency is because of the wavelength of such frequencys.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #11,203 of 15,974
45° at the cutoff frequency for a 1st order filter. 90° for a second order. You can compensate phase shift with tube length at the crossover frequency. So that you align the timing.

It is obviously frequency dependend and becomes harder the lower the frequency is because of the wavelength of such frequencys.
Now I understand what you mean. The phase shift is 0° for frequencies the filter lets pass completely and increases until the point where the filter lets nothing through. That limit is 90° for 1st order and 180° for 2nd order, but it's never reached in practise. I totally see why it makes sense to think about it the way you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back