Home-Made IEMs
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #9,676 of 15,974
Phonak has 10 Ohm resistor wired in series inside the original Y-splitter. You basically decreased your BA's impedance by half.
Also boominess might come from unsealed housing - since the BA is vented the volume behind the driver will affect the response, if you vent the shell you'll create an "infinite" amount of air behind the driver making the bass bloated.

I didn't know that the BA is vented lol. Now that I looked at the specsheet. I thought that the resistor on splitter was 27 ohm so I put that value.

Aug 2, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #9,678 of 15,974
Anyone has experiences with wbfk 30095 as super tweeter? How does it sound. I saw that it has decent frequency response chart.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #9,679 of 15,974
Anyone has experiences with wbfk 30095 as super tweeter? How does it sound. I saw that it has decent frequency response chart.
Sonion E25 is better single super tweeter

I have used WBFK30095 with 220nF cap to 100nF cap levels.

Going lower than 220nF doesnt make sense as the SPL, even though should increase, is neglibile at such a high frequency.

This is when you are doing true crossover with low and high pass.

But if you are going with overlapping crossover, then 100nF is okay, just slightly more shimmer.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #9,680 of 15,974
Sonion E25 is better single super tweeter

I have used WBFK30095 with 220nF cap to 100nF cap levels.

Going lower than 220nF doesnt make sense as the SPL, even though should increase, is neglibile at such a high frequency.

This is when you are doing true crossover with low and high pass.

But if you are going with overlapping crossover, then 100nF is okay, just slightly more shimmer.
I want to tried it with dynamic drivers, because I found a source on Taobao for JVC wooden/diamond driver so I think why not give it a try tho. So I’ll may mount a single tweeter on the nozzle. These JVC wood are famous for warm bassy sound so I think it may need some treble tho.

Btw I want to make Finale 3 but FED is out of stock, so are there any substitute for it. I’m thinking SWFK/TWFK.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #9,681 of 15,974
I want to tried it with dynamic drivers, because I found a source on Taobao for JVC wooden/diamond driver so I think why not give it a try tho. So I’ll may mount a single tweeter on the nozzle. These JVC wood are famous for warm bassy sound so I think it may need some treble tho.

Btw I want to make Finale 3 but FED is out of stock, so are there any substitute for it. I’m thinking SWFK/TWFK.
First of all, I am against using hybrid mechanism(you can try it, I hate it for a specific reason, even though I did make some good sets)

1. Dynamic driver moves air whereas BA work on change of pressure. These have very different inherent property

2. Second issue is crossover due to the above nature.

I recommend that you go with a good full range BA and use a the impedance incrementer and L-pad on dyna.ic driver so that it only assist the BA, rather than going full out on crossover. The (Incrementer + L-pad) on dynamic driver makes it a air moving assist driver which helps in increasing the dynamic scale of BA(BA lacks it)

But if you are using a JVC wood or diamond driver, Use a ED29689 with green damper fitted inside spout like @Slater did earlier in this thread.

Make them both go full range or

Use ED with center pass/tap and 470nF capacitor and without damper. As ED is big, it moves more air due to bigger pressure change equating to air movement plus low inductance on center pass which makes it one of the lovely tweeter.

Replacement for FED is ED with damper, but it kills the purpose of final(it should not have dampers on main driver)

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #9,682 of 15,974
Replacement for FED is ED with damper, but it kills the purpose of final(it should not have dampers on main driver)

Which ED do you recommend tho? I see that FED acts like a tweeter, right? So we need a tweeter here. Also any suggest with damper. I guess brown or grey is fit here.

Aug 2, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #9,683 of 15,974
Hello everyone, this is a fascinating thread! Some great ideas being discussed here!

I just want to let you all know that 64 Audio is looking to hire talent for our R&D Department to work on product design. If you, or someone you know, might be interested, please email me directly at: vitaliy@64audio.com

-Best of luck to everyone!!
-Vitaliy B.

64 Audio Stay updated on 64 Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/64audio https://twitter.com/64audio https://instagram.com/64audio https://www.64audio.com/ info@64audio.com
Aug 3, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #9,687 of 15,974
@dhruvmeena96 can you talk more about incrementer circuit, I google it but it’s very complicated ones, and what does 2-bit 4-bit and 16-bit means?
Its not the digital incrementer. It means just adding resistance to driver

Driver -> resistor (impedance incrementer) -> L-pad.

This limits the Xmas of dynamic driver and make it move less air and act more like BA but with very low dB. This assist High dB BA like TWFK or something else.

But if you are going ED29689 route. You dont need to add all this thing to dynamic driver. You just need 2 way crossover with ED 29689 being center tap and 1uF high passed

But if you want to go over the pro level, Band stop the dynamic driver from 300Hz to 8kHz and Band pass normal ED 29689( normal wiring, added impedance to match dynamic driver impedance) on same limit(300Hz to 8kHz).

There are many ways to do the setup

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #9,688 of 15,974
Its not the digital incrementer. It means just adding resistance to driver

Driver -> resistor (impedance incrementer) -> L-pad.

This limits the Xmas of dynamic driver and make it move less air and act more like BA but with very low dB. This assist High dB BA like TWFK or something else.

But if you are going ED29689 route. You dont need to add all this thing to dynamic driver. You just need 2 way crossover with ED 29689 being center tap and 1uF high passed

But if you want to go over the pro level, Band stop the dynamic driver from 300Hz to 8kHz and Band pass normal ED 29689( normal wiring, added impedance to match dynamic driver impedance) on same limit(300Hz to 8kHz).

There are many ways to do the setup
Oh I see. I’ll go with 2 ways crossover design as I think it’s easier to calculate. And what do you mean by center tap? Like the BA is in the center of the dynamic driver?

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #9,689 of 15,974
Oh I see. I’ll go with 2 ways crossover design as I think it’s easier to calculate. And what do you mean by center tap? Like the BA is in the center of the dynamic driver?
If you see the ED29689 from terminal side, you will see three terminals. CenterTap is the terminal in center. This makes the inductance drops to half and let the driver behave more like a tweeter.

If you do a center pass and positive terminal, then center pass is negative and if center pass and negative terminal, then center pass is positive.

Center pass just replaces the empty terminal when soldering wire.

Lemme explain simply.

Center and negative have wires -> center tap behaves like positive

Center and positive have wires -> center tap behaves like negative.

This may help you in keeping phase in check.

Aug 3, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #9,690 of 15,974
Hello everyone, this is a fascinating thread! Some great ideas being discussed here!

I just want to let you all know that 64 Audio is looking to hire talent for our R&D Department to work on product design. If you, or someone you know, might be interested, please email me directly at: vitaliy@64audio.com

-Best of luck to everyone!!
-Vitaliy B.
Already mailed you sir
Let's see

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back