Home-Made IEMs
Dec 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #4,143 of 16,020
To all who has problems with their colloids.
I read that the melting temperature is around 94 degrees and processing temperature is around 47 degrees celsius.

As i understand it, we need to melt it first at 94 degrees C and we don't want to heat it too much either or it will loose its transparency, then cool down to around 47 degrees, then pour in to make a mold.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #4,144 of 16,020
  To all who has problems with their colloids.
I read that the melting temperature is around 94 degrees and processing temperature is around 47 degrees celsius.

As i understand it, we need to melt it first at 94 degrees C and we don't want to heat it too much either or it will loose its transparency, then cool down to around 47 degrees, then pour in to make a mold.

yes that's how it works

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #4,145 of 16,020
Does anyone have a clue what the blue light tube is for in the professional uv light units sold by the big manufacturers?

http://dentamid.dreve.de/media/uploads/anleitungen/Polylux_PT_Anleitung_GB.PDF

This unit has 2 UVA bulbs and one blue light bulb?

Its the same from the other manufacturers.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #4,146 of 16,020
Dreve supplies UV material for the Dental field, the unit in question is used in that industry and the blue light tube enmities a higher nm wavelength 400-500nm which is too high for hollow shells. They use these units when making parts and some are much thicker in nature.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #4,147 of 16,020
Check the Egger catalogue

https://egger-labor.de/enplace/1101/files/E_Katalog_2013_web.pdf

EL1, EL2 and EL3 all have blue fluorescent light tubes.

Maybe they use EL1 - EL3 for the dental industry too to cure dental parts?

Edit: Egger does not have dental products?

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #4,148 of 16,020
  Does anyone have a clue what the blue light tube is for in the professional uv light units sold by the big manufacturers?

http://dentamid.dreve.de/media/uploads/anleitungen/Polylux_PT_Anleitung_GB.PDF

This unit has 2 UVA bulbs and one blue light bulb?

Its the same from the other manufacturers.

osram deluxe s UVa or UVc depending on model

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #4,149 of 16,020
It does state in the catalog that the "light source is switchable", it would appear that it possible the blue light would be a post cure with nitrogen or the egger glycerin or for laquer coating, or it possible that it is used to cure thicker shell parts in the hearing aid industry as there are many types of shells and configurations manufactured.

I haven't had as much experience with the egger as the Dreve but have tried different curing wave lengths and found anything over the 365nm was extremely touchy with cure times and I had trouble getting my shells a uniform 2-3mm.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #4,150 of 16,020
I have tried to insert a regular Knwoles damper into a 1.5mm ID tube and it was so difficult I couldn't make it pass the entrance of the tube...
At first I couldn't even insert it so I had to enlarge the opening of the tube using a heated pair of tweezers (heated with a lighter for a few second then inserted into the tube opening to enlarge it). After I managed to make the hole slightly bigger I managed to insert the damper but couldn't make it slide any further...

Now I know that the dampers have ~2mm diameter and the tube I am trying to insert it in have a 1.5mm ID but I am quite sure I have seen it done on CIEMS before.
I saw for example here some kind of workaround using a small part 2mm ID tube just for the damper and attach it to the 1.5mm ID tube.

I would like to know if there is a technique to do it? or some kind of special tool being used?
As far as I know multiple bores CIEMS use a 1.5mm ID tubing (right?) and sometimes one of this bore may have a bigger 2mm ID tube so how do they manage to insert the dampers into those 1.5mm ID tubes?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #4,151 of 16,020
I am very confused now. Check the picture which is from the Egger EL 2 manual (wrong caption on the picture).  If you also check their Egger EL3 which is for curing Lacquers, they use UVA.
The Egger EL2 does have a switch for the two levels. Obviously the UV Resin needs both lights? Is that the problem so many has? Not curing correctly because of missing blue lights?

Edit: Manual to Egger EL2
http://egger-labor.de/enplace/1101/pdf/en/51210a.pdf

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #4,152 of 16,020
I have tried to insert a regular Knwoles damper into a 1.5mm ID tube and it was so difficult I couldn't make it pass the entrance of the tube...
At first I couldn't even insert it so I had to enlarge the opening of the tube using a heated pair of tweezers (heated with a lighter for a few second then inserted into the tube opening to enlarge it). After I managed to make the hole slightly bigger I managed to insert the damper but couldn't make it slide any further...

Now I know that the dampers have ~2mm diameter and the tube I am trying to insert it in have a 1.5mm ID but I am quite sure I have seen it done on CIEMS before.
I saw for example here some kind of workaround using a small part 2mm ID tube just for the damper and attach it to the 1.5mm ID tube.

I would like to know if there is a technique to do it? or some kind of special tool being used?
As far as I know multiple bores CIEMS use a 1.5mm ID tubing (right?) and sometimes one of this bore may have a bigger 2mm ID tube so how do they manage to insert the dampers into those 1.5mm ID tubes?

Great question, the process in the video is the process I have seen used as well, makes it impossible to try different dampers as the damper tool won't work in that situation. I am curious about this as well. Maybe Peter has some insight that could shed some light.

I use #13 tubing which has 1.9mm ID perfect for knowles dampers as they are easy to insert but stay put. I have done 3 bore projects with #13 tubing.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #4,153 of 16,020
I am very confused now. Check the picture which is from the Egger EL 2 manual (wrong caption on the picture).  If you also check their Egger EL3 which is for curing Lacquers, they use UVA.
The Egger EL2 does have a switch for the two levels. Obviously the UV Resin needs both lights? Is that the problem so many has? Not curing correctly because of missing blue lights?

Edit: Manual to Egger EL2
http://egger-labor.de/enplace/1101/pdf/en/51210a.pdf

My information will need to be tested or corrected as I have most of my experience using Fotoplast S/IO. I don't recall the issues some are having with the shells but I do know that free radical polymerization happens with dreve leaving an inhibition/tack layer due to un-cured polymer from the presence of oxygen. This is common and not from incorrectly curing and happens with Fotoplast S/IO, can be wiped with alcohol wipes or post cured in glycerin bath. The industry as stated in Dreves catalog uses nitrogen to replace oxygen in the cure process.

People using the egger products may be having problems due to the lack of the blue light, I know that the wave length on the blue lights are between 400nm - 500nm. I'll do some more reading and see if I can pull up some info about the egger blue light mystery.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,154 of 16,020
You can argon purge a small area with Bloxygen. It works, but is expensive.

Also, I switched to using #13 for the whole run. The arrangement showed in my video works well if you really need the small diameter tubing at the tip. I'm not sold on it though, so if anyone knows of a better method I'm all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back