Home-Made IEMs
Dec 15, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #4,156 of 15,989
So doing a little reading it states that the Egger Units are good for ALL Egger UV Polymerizing product. BTE, ITE, Protection, some of the different uv product may require a different wave length to influence polymerization. In reading the Egger Process it does specify that switching light source is necessary in certain processes and "too me" specifically in postcure process. Emailing them would probably yield best answer relating to the use of blue light.

Is there anyone on the forum using the Egger in professional IEM applications that could chime in?

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #4,158 of 15,989
I am very confused now. Check the picture which is from the Egger EL 2 manual (wrong caption on the picture).  If you also check their Egger EL3 which is for curing Lacquers, they use UVA.
The Egger EL2 does have a switch for the two levels. Obviously the UV Resin needs both lights? Is that the problem so many has? Not curing correctly because of missing blue lights?

Edit: Manual to Egger EL2
http://egger-labor.de/enplace/1101/pdf/en/51210a.pdf

Clarification for all, I just received email from Karolina Weimeir from Egger Sales department. This is what she stated:

Dear Darren,

thank you very much for your e-mail!

You are right, our UV curing units use both types of light, UV light and Blue light.

UV light is used for curing transparent materials or surfaces, whereas blue light is needed for coloured materials.

The difference is the wave length of the light.

For any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Kind regards

Karolina

With best regards/ Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Karolina Weimeir

- International Sales -

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4,159 of 15,989
Wow! Great Shilohsjustice!

This means one thing, most of us probably needs the Blue lights! Really strange that they don't state this anywhere.

Now we need to figure out exactly which those blue lights are.

Edit: Another question is if they use both lights simultaneously for both colors :)

Regards
Jan

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4,160 of 15,989

Now we need to figure out exactly which those blue lights are.

Edit: Another question is if they use both lights simultaneously for both colors :)

Regards
Jan

I know you can get:

9 watt fluorescent Visible lamp - UV 470nm output tubes from Lightning Enterprises for $15 plus shipping. This wave length is the same range as the "blue light" which would penetrate better on colored shells.

~I can buy the Egger bulbs from Warner Tech-Care, but they are $42.52 per bulb.

Some of the UV Nail Cure Units using LED UV emit higher  than "365nm" ranges which sounds like they would be a good prospect as well.

Interesting information for sure!

I would say based on wave intensity you would use one light source or the other, not both at the same time, as higher wave length cures the transparent material really fast, unless you are manually hollowing your shells anyways.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,164 of 15,989
The blue light is 400 - 500 nm. Check the dreve link I posted above about polylux 500. If you all read it you will realize even the dreve products such as the fotoplast would benefit from. I will turn the uv nail light device upside down. Find some see through plexiglas. Place it above the lower bulbs, and replace those bulbs with blue lights. Then cure :)

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4,165 of 15,989
IMHO the right color wavelength is 365nmfor the resin, the blue light is here to correct the polarisation of the pigment color.
And this correction totally depends of the color of this pigment... blue will only correct a orange pigment no ?

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,166 of 15,989
IMHO the right color wavelength is 365nmfor the resin, the blue light is here to correct the polarisation of the pigment color.
And this correction totally depends of the color of this pigment... blue will only correct a orange pigment no ?

According to Egger blue light causes uv polymerization in colored shells. Transparent color shells will still polymerize under 365nm, solid color or darker colors would need a higher wavelength to penetrate through to make .3-1.2mm shell.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4,167 of 15,989
Peter, in looking at the Osram bulbs they are not UVB like the Egger bulbs. They are UVA bulbs, is there a difference as it doesn't state what wave length they are at.

Well, EL-1 unit comes with all Osram bulbs and those are generic bulbs you can buy in any a bit more specialized store. So $45 is waaay too much

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #4,170 of 15,989
A word of advice

I've read that Glass and some acrylic will not let through UV light. So when we do a Glycerin (or Glycerol) bath for our shells, the UV might not pass through the glass and cannot reach the shell.

I'm trying to find Acrylic which passes UV light through but it's not easy to know if the specific acrylic does it or not.
Glass however seem to absorb most UV light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back