Home-Made IEMs
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #14,989 of 16,089
What have peoples experiences been with BA drivers from TaoBao?
Not the experience of navigating language differences or shipping and logistics, but with the drivers themselves.

The prices almost seem too good to be true compared to mouser, digikey or even Sound Link on Aliexpress, but after searching through this forum, some seem happy with getting everything from TaoBao, while others have said, that the drivers are used, and been pulled from old IEMs or hearing aids, and that you'll have problems with matching them.

The seller Tommy's Acoustics get linked to quite a bit from here. Any other reliable sellers?

Who's bought their Knowles or Sonion drivers from TaoBao, and how did it go for you?
I've bought drivers from both of these stores as well as Tommy Acoustics and they all looked new and the ones I've tested worked perfectly. I think it's well worth it considering how much cheaper they are.

https://shop.m.taobao.com/shop/shop...hop.1&user_id=3159717022&item_id=545041523114

https://shop.m.taobao.com/shop/shop...nLfF5v&user_id=194712815&item_id=541773306856

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #14,991 of 16,089
Heres the real deal: they make mistakes ALL the time. Its the reason yhe industry has embraced the otoscanners and the move to 3D printing happened so quickly. Your shell will only be as good as your impression. Audiologists THINK THEY HAVE AN OK IMPRESSION, then they send it in and it gets rejected. Most hearing aids are no long full shells. We want a FULL shell. Therefore, we require internal AND external ear landmarks to be in place. Some of these landmarks you can fudge a bit. However, those are the external ones. Internal landmarks, (ie first bend, filled up canal, proper string placement behind the otoblock, second bend, etc.) can not be confidently post fabricated. UE was INFAMOUS for rejections a few years back. Technology has come a LONG way. But, if you are 100% dependent on the impression to get your final shell, the impression HAS to be as close to perfect as possible.
thanks you very much for the feedback

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #14,992 of 16,089
thanks you very much for the feedback
No a problem. If I were in your place, i would trim a bit and then reproduce it with a 2-part silicone. Then, place that duplicate in your ear to determine how snug it is. Maybe you have narrow canals? Maybe it wasnt fully filled? Maybe the impression isnt deep enough? Isolation (-30 to -27dB) happens past the first bend. The second bend is the marker used for depth. i had an impression set sent to me where one ear was considerably smaller than the other. Turns out, that one ear was found to have a slight lingering infection. Once that was resolved, a new impression set was sent to me. There was a distinct difference between both sets.

Feb 13, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #14,993 of 16,089
No a problem. If I were in your place, i would trim a bit and then reproduce it with a 2-part silicone. Then, place that duplicate in your ear to determine how snug it is. Maybe you have narrow canals? Maybe it wasnt fully filled? Maybe the impression isnt deep enough? Isolation (-30 to -27dB) happens past the first bend. The second bend is the marker used for depth. i had an impression set sent to me where one ear was considerably smaller than the other. Turns out, that one ear was found to have a slight lingering infection. Once that was resolved, a new impression set was sent to me. There was a distinct difference between both sets.
why repreduce it with 2 part sillicone? cant i just put the impression i have now in my ear (i wanted to do that but i didnt have the time yet)

Feb 14, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #14,999 of 16,089
Hi guys, I want to get a DLP printer to print myself some IEMs shells and I only want to get a very tiny one with a PPI of 199 and 0.1 mm height . Do you think the resolution is enough? Thanks.
What printer specifically? Assuming that it prints well, that resolution should be enough for most things. You will need to sand the outside of the shell more to get a good finish and you might not be able to do very fine structures like 3d printed tubing.

Feb 14, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #15,000 of 16,089
What printer specifically? Assuming that it prints well, that resolution should be enough for most things. You will need to sand the outside of the shell more to get a good finish and you might not be able to do very fine structures like 3d printed tubing.
If I had it to do over again…
Help me decide on this product: Phrozen Sonic Mini 8K LCD Resin 3D Printer, Highest Resolution of 22 µm and 1152 ppi, 7.1” Mono LCD Screen, Prints Beyond Handcrafted Models, L16.5 x W7.2 x H18 cm Printing Volume https://a.co/d/gRmFIlw

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back