Home-Made IEMs
Feb 12, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #14,971 of 16,068

It would help us to have pictures from these 4 angles so we can see all the important parts of the impression. But based on your pictures, looks like primary issue is the canal area. They look quite skinny and there’s a good amount of wax on the impression. Get your ears as clean as possible then do another set
I asked my audiologist and she said they are supposed to be skinny

I will post more pictures later

Feb 12, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #14,972 of 16,068

I have had so many discussions with audiologists. They think that because they are trained for the job that they know better. But this is not always the case. They suppose to be correct not skinny. It does indeed look like they are not 100% correct in the inner ear area.

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #14,973 of 16,068
I have had so many discussions with audiologists. They think that because they are trained for the job that they know better. But this is not always the case. They suppose to be correct not skinny. It does indeed look like they are not 100% correct in the inner ear area.
There’s definitely variation in anatomy, some people just have really skinny canals that can make getting tubes in there difficult. In your case the wax build up makes me think that the wax kept you from getting a full impression

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #14,974 of 16,068
Is there any way you could tell if it's just my ear anatomy or because of wax ? I really don't want to pay for an ear impression again just to get the exact same results.

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #14,975 of 16,068
Is there any way you could tell if it's just my ear anatomy or because of wax ? I really don't want to pay for an ear impression again just to get the exact same results.
So personally I ended up buying some impression material and making my own. I went the audiologist route initially and got some subpar impressions-they’re used to making them for hearing aids and don’t have to get as much detail or go as deep as we need.
I ended up making probably a half-dozen impressions before I got a set I was really happy with.
Everything will tell you it’s too dangerous to do on your own, but as long as you use a proper oto block and pay attention to what you’re doing you should be fine. **disclaimer-not medical advice/not a medical professional, just some dude on the internet**

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #14,976 of 16,068
So personally I ended up buying some impression material and making my own. I went the audiologist route initially and got some subpar impressions-they’re used to making them for hearing aids and don’t have to get as much detail or go as deep as we need.
I ended up making probably a half-dozen impressions before I got a set I was really happy with.
Everything will tell you it’s too dangerous to do on your own, but as long as you use a proper oto block and pay attention to what you’re doing you should be fine. **disclaimer-not medical advice/not a medical professional, just some dude on the internet**
How much did you end up spending on impressions? Did you do it all by yourself or did you have someone to help you? Thanks for the response

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #14,977 of 16,068
I did them my self but would never take the risk of taking someone else’s. I pay 20 to the audicien to have it done so for this price it makes no sense doing it myself. And yes your ears need to be very clean. Also have your ear hair removed. Shaved or burned. And even then impressions do go wrong often. Because they move the gun around and don’t keep it centered. They almost all start making little circles while squeezing the material out. And you are right we need other impressions. More material.

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #14,978 of 16,068
How much did you end up spending on impressions? Did you do it all by yourself or did you have someone to help you? Thanks for the response
I bought this impression material
https://www.audiologysupplies.com/t...part-impression-material-10-impressions-gv-10

You’ll need a syringe for the material as well, which they sell on their website.
Typically also recommended to use a 1 inch bite block when you’re taking the impressions
Getting good impressions takes a lot of trial and error, like I said, I made several before I got a set I was happy with

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #14,979 of 16,068
What have peoples experiences been with BA drivers from TaoBao?
Not the experience of navigating language differences or shipping and logistics, but with the drivers themselves.

The prices almost seem too good to be true compared to mouser, digikey or even Sound Link on Aliexpress, but after searching through this forum, some seem happy with getting everything from TaoBao, while others have said, that the drivers are used, and been pulled from old IEMs or hearing aids, and that you'll have problems with matching them.

The seller Tommy's Acoustics get linked to quite a bit from here. Any other reliable sellers?

Who's bought their Knowles or Sonion drivers from TaoBao, and how did it go for you?

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #14,980 of 16,068
What have peoples experiences been with BA drivers from TaoBao?
Not the experience of navigating language differences or shipping and logistics, but with the drivers themselves.

The prices almost seem too good to be true compared to mouser, digikey or even Sound Link on Aliexpress, but after searching through this forum, some seem happy with getting everything from TaoBao, while others have said, that the drivers are used, and been pulled from old IEMs or hearing aids, and that you'll have problems with matching them.

The seller Tommy's Acoustics get linked to quite a bit from here. Any other reliable sellers?

Who's bought their Knowles or Sonion drivers from TaoBao, and how did it go for you?

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #14,983 of 16,068

Heres the real deal: they make mistakes ALL the time. Its the reason yhe industry has embraced the otoscanners and the move to 3D printing happened so quickly. Your shell will only be as good as your impression. Audiologists THINK THEY HAVE AN OK IMPRESSION, then they send it in and it gets rejected. Most hearing aids are no long full shells. We want a FULL shell. Therefore, we require internal AND external ear landmarks to be in place. Some of these landmarks you can fudge a bit. However, those are the external ones. Internal landmarks, (ie first bend, filled up canal, proper string placement behind the otoblock, second bend, etc.) can not be confidently post fabricated. UE was INFAMOUS for rejections a few years back. Technology has come a LONG way. But, if you are 100% dependent on the impression to get your final shell, the impression HAS to be as close to perfect as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back