Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jul 5, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #3,841 of 4,067
The DAC (May or Spring) shows on the display the sample rate from the source.
If it doesn't change from 96kHz to 44,1kHz while playing a CD, then you've set it fixed to 96kHz.

By the way: IMHO is using a good up sampler like HQPlayer for the Spring and also for May obligate...

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #3,842 of 4,067
The DAC (May or Spring) shows on the display the sample rate from the source.
If it doesn't change from 96kHz to 44,1kHz while playing a CD, then you've set it fixed to 96kHz.

By the way: IMHO is using a good up sampler like HQPlayer for the Spring and also for May obligate...
Again, on a Mac, you have to set it manually and it is fixed. There is no option (yet) on Mac for “Automatic” as on IOS.
It is not an ideal solution, but this is how it is now. I hope Apple will re-engineer the whole music thing.

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3,843 of 4,067
Ok thanks to all.

So by setting my Mac MIDI setting to output 96K, then that means whatever the mini is receiving UP TO 96K, it will send that out to the DAC?
If I want to listen to a 192K track, then I would set the MIDI output maximum to 192K?
I guess so that also means that just because my display reads 96K, that doesn't necessarily mean it's receiving that sampling rate, it's just saying it's ABLE to receive UP TO 96K.
Sorry if all of these questions seem elementary but all this time I've just been playing 44.1K material.

Also, if I remember correctly, The Spring 3 KTE is still in R2R ladder mode if it's receiving a 96K signal. Correct? I don't want to use the other DAC chip. The R2R feature was the only reason I got the Spring 3 KTE.

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #3,844 of 4,067
Ok thanks to all.

So by setting my Mac MIDI setting to output 96K, then that means whatever the mini is receiving UP TO 96K, it will send that out to the DAC?
If I want to listen to a 192K track, then I would set the MIDI output maximum to 192K?
I guess so that also means that just because my display reads 96K, that doesn't necessarily mean it's receiving that sampling rate, it's just saying it's ABLE to receive UP TO 96K.
Sorry if all of these questions seem elementary but all this time I've just been playing 44.1K material.

Also, if I remember correctly, The Spring 3 KTE is still in R2R ladder mode if it's receiving a 96K signal. Correct? I don't want to use the other DAC chip. The R2R feature was the only reason I got the Spring 3 KTE.
I think what you say is correct indeed 👍
If you do not get a high enough level of confirmation here, you should repost on the “Holo May” thread.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #3,845 of 4,067
I think what you say is correct indeed 👍
If you do not get a enough level of confirmation here, you should repost on the “Holo May” thread.
Ok. Much thanks.

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #3,846 of 4,067
Ok. Much thanks.
There is a Qobuz thread out there, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qobuz-lossless-streaming-service-thread.856101/

From what I have read there in the past, the Qobuz MAC app does not take exclusive control, and is not bitperfect and Qobuz literature on their website does not list their service as bitperfect on the MAC only Windows.

I know you said you don't run Roon, but you could try the free trial of Roon set up Qobuz through it and see if you get bitperfect.

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #3,847 of 4,067
So I'm not getting bit perfect now?

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3,848 of 4,067
So I'm not getting bit perfect now?
Well I'm not a MAC expert (I'm a Windows/Linux guy), but if I go by how sound works in the world of Windows and Linux), no it sounds like you are not getting bit perfect because the Qobuz app on MAC does not support it.

The fact that Qobuz's website does not say they support bitperfect on MAC suggest it is not.

You could go Apple Music since I believe that does support bitperfect, and Dolby Atmos music.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #3,849 of 4,067
Well I'm not a MAC expert (I'm a Windows/Linux guy), but if I go by how sound works in the world of Windows and Linux), no it sounds like you are not getting bit perfect because the Qobuz app on MAC does not support it.

The fact that Qobuz's website does not say they support bitperfect on MAC suggest it is not.

You could go Apple Music since I believe that does support bitperfect, and Dolby Atmos music.
But just to be clear, I'm not streaming from an iPhone or an iPad. The Qobuz is going to my Mac mini.
Or am I misunderstanding you?

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #3,850 of 4,067
But just to be clear, I'm not streaming from an iPhone or an iPad. The Qobuz is going to my Mac mini.
Or am I misunderstanding you?
From what I've read over various threads is that if you were streaming from an iOS device you would get bitperfect as that is supported in iOS. Bitperfect is not supported natively in MacOS, and it's up to the streaming service to create an application that can do bitperfect playback.

Tidal's MacOS app supports it, but Qobuz's MacOS app does not.

In Linux you have to uninstall pulseaudio as the default driver and you need to replace it with ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) and an audio player that supports ALSA playback.

In Windows it's Wasapi Exclusive mode, or the preferred way is for the DAC to have a Windows Asio driver in exclusive mode and the app has to be able to use the ASIO driver properly. The Qobuz and Tidal Windows app supports ASIO properly, the Amazon Music HD app does not, and it's the main reason I went from Amazon to Qobuz.

It's the reason I suggested trying a free trial of Roon. You set up Qobuz in Roon and if the Roon MacOs app supports bitperfect playback, then at that point Roon is acting as the software interface to Qobuz services and streams the audio to your DAC bitperfect. It doesn't hurt to try as it's a free 10-day trial, of course you might get addicted to Roon's bells and whistles. You have been warned.

Of course, the other is to use Apple Music since I believe it supports bitperfect playback. Don't quote me on that, as again I'm not a Mac guy so I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #3,851 of 4,067
Thank you.

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #3,852 of 4,067
I just wanted to update everyone on my previous post complaining how I didn't get a reply from Kitsune when asking for a warranty transfer.

I don't want to get into the details of it but let's just say, Kitsune went above and beyond for me.... And I'm very happy with the outcome.

This is 180° flip for me, but honestly they are great and I wouldn't hesitate or worry about purchasing from them at all.

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #3,853 of 4,067
Sorry to hear that. I don't own a Holo yet but I am willing to buy a used Spring 3 KTE; after reading your post, I asked Magnahifi (Europe) from which the original buyer bought his unit and I got a positive answer in 5 minutes (I am based in Europe too).
Hope you will get an answer soon.

Best regards
Hi Lutece. Does it mean warranty is tranferable? Do you need register your name ? Thanks

Jul 12, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #3,854 of 4,067
I just wanted to update everyone on my previous post complaining how I didn't get a reply from Kitsune when asking for a warranty transfer.

I don't want to get into the details of it but let's just say, Kitsune went above and beyond for me.... And I'm very happy with the outcome.

This is 180° flip for me, but honestly they are great and I wouldn't hesitate or worry about purchasing from them at all.
Love love love seeing this. I've only had phenomenal service from them as well. It's what has made me a Holo Audio buyer for life. I am full Holo all day every day :)

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #3,855 of 4,067
I'll soon be joining the Holo club. My heavy use of HQPlayer and finally being able to hear DSD upscaling on a direct-DSD enabled AKM DAC led me to purchase the Spring 3 KTE today. I've always been really partial to Chord DACs, but really looking forward to hearing my first R2R DAC.

Question, I don't see a lot of people doing DSD1024 HQPlayer upscaling on this DAC even though it should support it. Is it so demanding nobody has the hardware for it right now, or is there some other reason DSD512 is preferred?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back