Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jun 2, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #3,811 of 4,063
Well, I started a 14-day trial for Roon, and I wish I hadn't because I really like it.

I've been a Music Bee user for years, and I tried Roon thinking 'I don't need all those bells and whistles, just need something to play back my local files.'

Now I love all the bells and whistles and I don't know if I can go back, and I'm thinking about buying a lifetime license.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #3,812 of 4,063
Roon is quite addictive indeed.

Jun 5, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #3,813 of 4,063
I’m considering trying Serene preamp in my setup. Has anyone compared Spring 3 preamp module vs Serene? I currently use Spring 3 lvl 2 with the preamp module straight into my active ATC’s.

Jun 11, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #3,814 of 4,063
Guys any suggestion for Silver XLR interconnect for the Spring 3 KTE, great if affordable :) currently using WBC Mogami 2549 interconnects which is good but was wondering if Silver can bring some more resolution to the chain, also any improvement you noticed to the previous cable?

Jun 13, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #3,816 of 4,063
Look for Tubulus Argentus, it’s far better than Mogami Neglex. I Just tried it on my Holo May. Tubulus Argentus is solid core silver. But beware, silver is not bright as some might think. It has tonal richness while the micro details are stil there. Stranded Silvered copper is on the other hand bright and not pleasant at all.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #3,817 of 4,063
A question for people with multiple Holo Audio products with displays. Such as Spring 3 + Serene/Bliss combo or May + Serene/Bliss. Do you notice any difference in the display brightness and tone? My Spring 3 display has warmer tone while Serene has brighter and colder tone. Green power led is also brighter on Serene vs Spring 3. You’d expect these to be identical, especially on products at this level.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #3,818 of 4,063
A question for people with multiple Holo Audio products with displays. Such as Spring 3 + Serene/Bliss combo or May + Serene/Bliss. Do you notice any difference in the display brightness and tone? My Spring 3 display has warmer tone while Serene has brighter and colder tone. Green power led is also brighter on Serene vs Spring 3. You’d expect these to be identical, especially on products at this level.

My Bliss has a much brighter green power LED than my preorder Holo Spring 3. I've also noticed that the display on my Spring 3 is starting to lose many LEDS as they are becoming extremely dim compared to some of the other LEDs. The metric for LEDs is called "L70" where an LED is considered end of life when its brightness output reaches 70% of its max. So, it's pretty clear several of the display LEDs on my Spring 3 are already EOL. This is pretty frustrating. I have turned off the display on my Bliss and Spring 3 and recommend everyone else do the same. Leaving the display on all the time is absolutely going to result in dead LEDs.

*EDIT* Added a pic. It's really hard to photograph, but you can see how several of the LEDs in the Spring 3 are dimming. The Bliss is very consistent and uniform as it has very few hours on the display. The display of the Spring 3 is overall brighter than the Bliss as well. I'd bet they reduced the current to the LEDs of the Bliss display in order to prolong its lifespan.

Attachments

• holo-displays.jpeg
    holo-displays.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #3,819 of 4,063
My Bliss has a much brighter green power LED than my preorder Holo Spring 3. I've also noticed that the display on my Spring 3 is starting to lose many LEDS as they are becoming extremely dim compared to some of the other LEDs. The metric for LEDs is called "L70" where an LED is considered end of life when its brightness output reaches 70% of its max. So, it's pretty clear several of the display LEDs on my Spring 3 are already EOL. This is pretty frustrating. I have turned off the display on my Bliss and Spring 3 and recommend everyone else do the same. Leaving the display on all the time is absolutely going to result in dead LEDs.
Thanks for the advice, I have turned off the display of the Spring 3 and Bliss when I read you. In my case both units were bought at the same time and both have bright display.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #3,820 of 4,063
Yeah so I’m not the only one. Spring 3 green led is almost invisible on daylight while Serene led burns brightly. May I ask if you notice any difference in the tone of the displays? Serene is clearly more blue/colder and Spring 3 greyer/warmer. Serene is new unit which I bought for testing and Spring 3 is around 7-8 months old. I’ve always kept display setting off on Spring 3.

Weird that no one hasn’t mentioned these display and led variations before.

Thanks for the advice, I have turned off the display of the Spring 3 and Bliss when I read you. In my case both units were bought at the same time and both have bright display.
Good confirmation that it’s not always the case that the displays are different on Spring 3 vs Serene/Bliss.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3,821 of 4,063
There is no doubt the tone of each display will be slightly different. My Spring 3 is slightly more blue than the Bliss. The real problem is that EVERY LED has a tolerance for its color rendering index and color temperature due to manufacturing batches. This is just inherent to LED manufacturing. If you get the same production batch you will find that the colors are very uniform. But even binning from different days will have some variation that could be noticeable. So, you can get somewhat close but with the Bliss and Spring 3 being very different products with displays produced at different times, you cannot expect them to be perfect. They may actually be very different displays, I cannot quite tell. But they are close enough IMO. Source: I used to work in the LED lighting and billboard display industry with several Chinese manufacturing partners. :)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #3,822 of 4,063
There is no doubt the tone of each display will be slightly different. My Spring 3 is slightly more blue than the Bliss. The real problem is that EVERY LED has a tolerance for its color rendering index and color temperature due to manufacturing batches. This is just inherent to LED manufacturing. If you get the same production batch you will find that the colors are very uniform. But even binning from different days will have some variation that could be noticeable. So, you can get somewhat close but with the Bliss and Spring 3 being very different products with displays produced at different times, you cannot expect them to be perfect. They may actually be very different displays, I cannot quite tell. But they are close enough IMO. Source: I used to work in the LED lighting and billboard display industry with several Chinese manufacturing partners. :)
Wow thank you, this reply was extremely helpful, lots of new information to me. I'm a perfectionist with these things and believe it or not, these display variations are/were close to a dealbreaker to me. But your explanation helps me to understand this phenomenon better.

Otherwise Serene works great and sounds superb. The difference isn't massive compared to the integrated preamp-card on Spring 3 but it's still clearly audible. More authority/power/impact on sound with more open stage. Serene definitely hits harder. When I switch back to the direct out from Spring 3, it sounds slightly softer and flatter.

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #3,823 of 4,063

*EDIT* Added a pic. It's really hard to photograph, but you can see how several of the LEDs in the Spring 3 are dimming. The Bliss is very consistent and uniform as it has very few hours on the display. The display of the Spring 3 is overall brighter than the Bliss as well. I'd bet they reduced the current to the LEDs of the Bliss display in order to prolong its lifespan.
Well, finally I am not the only one to experience this on my Spring 3 KTE. It is really hard to photograph, I did my best to capture display of my Spring. As you can see it is quite visible that some of the dots are about 60% of original brightness there. Since I noticed this I have turned display OFF, but anyway it is the shame they are using such poor quality display and in addition, they abandoned the option to dim the display in the menu. I have red data matrix display on my Simaudio Moon 600i amp and this display is ALWAYS ON for years! No sign of burned LEDs whatsoever. So, it can be done properly.
What can I expect, completely dead dots in some time in the future?? ...Of course, a problem of this kind only becomes apparent after a certain period of use, and the device is usually no longer under warranty! Shame!

Attachments

• led2.jpg
    led2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • led3.jpg
    led3.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #3,824 of 4,063
Well, finally I am not the only one to experience this on my Spring 3 KTE. It is really hard to photograph, I did my best to capture display of my Spring. As you can see it is quite visible that some of the dots are about 60% of original brightness there. Since I noticed this I have turned display OFF, but anyway it is the shame they are using such poor quality display and in addition, they abandoned the option to dim the display in the menu. I have red data matrix display on my Simaudio Moon 600i amp and this display is ALWAYS ON for years! No sign of burned LEDs whatsoever. So, it can be done properly.
What can I expect, completely dead dots in some time in the future?? ...Of course, a problem of this kind only becomes apparent after a certain period of use, and the device is usually no longer under warranty! Shame!
Any idea if this is a 'bad batch' of units produced at a certain time or if all spring 3 might have the same problem? could other Holo products have this problem? I was eyeing a Spring 3 lvl 2 but this bit of news has thrown me off...

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #3,825 of 4,063
Any idea if this is a 'bad batch' of units produced at a certain time or if all spring 3 might have the same problem? could other Holo products have this problem? I was eyeing a Spring 3 lvl 2 but this bit of news has thrown me off...
I brought mine in the very first batch during pre-orders. Had it on 24/7 most every day since with the display left on and so far the lcd looks brand new without showing any signs of wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back