Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Apr 18, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #3,781 of 4,078
Thanks -- I did keep the originals. Mostly just to be safe, but part of me wonders if they can be used elsewhere in my system. They are still really good caps, after all.

edit: I really forgot how transformative the bass is with ODAMs. I'd taken the test bypass caps out of the Spring about a week ago after they'd burned in to compare to stock. These are so engaging.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #3,782 of 4,078
Comparison coming soon…..

Attachments

• 1BCF5A2A-EE68-4D35-B70C-F1B7A6991161.jpeg
    1BCF5A2A-EE68-4D35-B70C-F1B7A6991161.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #3,783 of 4,078
Small update. Canadians just got Qobuz here…I decided to get it and it changed things up.

With the Venus, you can only hear a small difference between Tidal and Qobuz. This is with OS slow. Both services sound great, one doesn’t really sound any better then the other.

With the Spring, the difference is fairly noticeable….and for the first time, I’m noticing on some tracks that aren’t recorded that well using Tidal, the sound can get slightly fatiguing. On direct comparison between tidal and Qobuz using the spring, tidal exhibits a very slight digital gargle(technical term)…like an mp3 does, in the high frequencies and some midrange. This is using MQA though Roon as decoder. Never noticed this on Denafrips DACs(I’ve tried Qobuz on a Pontus before to try because of a friend in the US).

Qobuz by contrast, sounds very impressive, mostly noticeable on recordings that are lack lustre.

So what’s my summary on this small update. If you’re using tidal, I highly suggest you try another streaming service if you’re using a spring 3 DAC.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,784 of 4,078
I used Tidal for a little bit out of curiosity. I had an MQA DAC and wanted to see what all the hype was about. MQA didn't sound any better. Then I purchased an album that had MQA and 16/44.1

I purchased the red book, but when I played it back that MQA light still came on.

I cancelled Tidal 2 minutes later.

I switched to Amazon Music Unlimited, but the app does not take proper full control, so I was not getting bit perfect. Stayed with Amazon to see how the app support would improve, and it never did.

Then switched to Qobuz, and it is perfect for me. Not as big of a library as Tidal or Amazon, but it has 95% of what I am looking for and it gets better as the library grows.

May 6, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,787 of 4,078
Hi,

I just got my Spring3 KTE (+preamp) DAC a few weeks ago, which I use to feed my tube amp. This came to upgrade my RME ADI-2 PRO.

1664184761936.jpeg

Is it just me or psychoacoustics? but I have the feeling the DAC has a long break-in period. Even after weeks of use I feel like every time it sounds better.
How did it compare to adi 2 pro? Your help is much appreciated

May 6, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #3,788 of 4,078
Small update. Canadians just got Qobuz here…I decided to get it and it changed things up.

With the Venus, you can only hear a small difference between Tidal and Qobuz. This is with OS slow. Both services sound great, one doesn’t really sound any better then the other.

With the Spring, the difference is fairly noticeable….and for the first time, I’m noticing on some tracks that aren’t recorded that well using Tidal, the sound can get slightly fatiguing. On direct comparison between tidal and Qobuz using the spring, tidal exhibits a very slight digital gargle(technical term)…like an mp3 does, in the high frequencies and some midrange. This is using MQA though Roon as decoder. Never noticed this on Denafrips DACs(I’ve tried Qobuz on a Pontus before to try because of a friend in the US).

Qobuz by contrast, sounds very impressive, mostly noticeable on recordings that are lack lustre.

So what’s my summary on this small update. If you’re using tidal, I highly suggest you try another streaming service if you’re using a spring 3 DAC.
I have played Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" thousands of times on other streaming services, Amazon HD, Tidal, Spotify (for large library) Qobuz Hi Rez sounds to me most natural and probably close to master tape!

May 6, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #3,789 of 4,078
How did it compare to adi 2 pro? Your help is much appreciated
Last year I commented on the Feliks Euforia thread how I compared the ADI-2 PRO to the Spring3 and TT2.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/post-17157395

The only reason why I still keep the ADI2, is because is so a great piece of engineering, like a swiss knife and is so compact that I can just put it on my rucksack together a pair of headphones and bring my music everywhere, something impossible to do with the rest of my audio gears, but the Spring3 plays in a higher league.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #3,790 of 4,078
I have played Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" thousands of times on other streaming services, Amazon HD, Tidal, Spotify (for large library) Qobuz Hi Rez sounds to me most natural and probably close to master tape!
I love Qobuz, but the app still needs work. Things like when I search for an artist or band it should not include every person who had done a cover of their songs. The stability of the service can be frustrating sometimes. Stability is one thing I don't think any music streaming service can one up Amazon music on. I mean the service runs on AWS and access to all the features that come with AWS.

Of course, this ticks me off as well. You think Amazon could spare a little time and effort to getting bit perfect playback working properly on the desktop app. Unless something has changed in the last year, but looking at the reviews of the Windows app I don't think it has.

May 7, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #3,791 of 4,078
I've compared Qobuz, Tidal, Roon, Audirvana, Apple Music, etc...
I agree with you, Qobuz sounds the most natural/realistic to my ears.
Even with Roon & Audirvana streaming Qobuz, it's not as good as the Qobuz app.

May 7, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #3,792 of 4,078
Really liked Qobuz too sound-wise, but they are missing way too many records and continiously losing licenses, several times albums just disappeared from the library. Tidal with Roon was the most viable option to me so far, especially considering the great upsampling options Roon provides.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #3,793 of 4,078
Really liked Qobuz too sound-wise, but they are missing way too many records and continiously losing licenses, several times albums just disappeared from the library. Tidal with Roon was the most viable option to me so far, especially considering the great upsampling options Roon provides.
But the last is a Roon feature, independent of the streaming service.

I also liked more Qobuz sound-wise, specially after Tidal introduced MQA. I will skip the more polemic reasons and just mention the basics, like why do we need a lossy format on these days when we can stream 4K HDR video and that in TIDAL I cannot choice not using MQA (if a title is in MQA, there is no a separated HIFI (lossless) version). However I staid with TIDAL because of the bigger title collection and the better search/suggestion tools. I stopped fighting against MQA, instead I get DSD/AFZ/MFSL versions, when available, of my favorite albums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back