Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #2,491 of 4,063
Damn, I had no idea about this latency issue. I primarily use my audio system for gaming and this really caught me off guard.
Someone posted on the drop website that the terminator has half the delay compared to the ares, but still is an issue.

Placed an order a few days ago for the Terminator II and hopefully I can cancel.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,493 of 4,063
Is the "0 latency" confirmed for the Holo May/Spring3? If so that is a major positive and will make Holo my definite choice.
I checked latency on may with PLL on, it's 0.7ms, so absolutely no worries

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #2,494 of 4,063
been using optical in my Spring3 KTE for movies, Netflix, etc and confirm that latency is not an issue, also the pll is da bomb, audio is just so much better with these varying streams and what I had taken for shoddy audio production turns out to be not so bad after, all

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #2,495 of 4,063
been using optical in my Spring3 KTE for movies, Netflix, etc and confirm that latency is not an issue, also the pll is da bomb, audio is just so much better with these varying streams and what I had taken for shoddy audio production turns out to be not so bad after, all
How does it compare to your previous DAC (that I see is on the classifieds now)?

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #2,496 of 4,063
How does it compare to your previous DAC (that I see is on the classifieds now)?
Curious to know too @bilboda

as have been considering the holo audio (may) and the sonnet morpheus.
I have enjoyed the metrum hex for quite a while but wondering what these other nos options might bring

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #2,497 of 4,063
For music, it was difficult to tell them apart straight NOS. Using Roon, I grouped them together and could instantly switch via the usb connections.
It was frustrating because I was looking for something I could use to make a decision and it just wasn't apparent.
Adding HQ Player, I began to hear differences. I upsampled to dsd256 with the Holo with an ec filter. With the Morpheus to 4x pcm.

I referred back to new music day's review of the may and his reference to the tambourine in a recording and how it revealed the room borders, it plays lightly but had enough presence on the May to define the rear and side room walls. With the Morpheus, using different filters and ditherers, I was able to get that tambourine to sound like a tambourine instead of a pocket full of change or a cymbal. With the Holo, I could sense the rear wall and a side wall, upsampling to dsd256. Using that as a peg to hang my hat on, I chose the Holo. In every day listening, I thought maybe the Morpheus might be a little warmer but they seemed to resolve equally. The pll is no comparison for optical and Netflix, etc. Holo wins.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,500 of 4,063
Quick question: Does anyone stack something on top of the Spring DACs? I am waiting on mine and I have no place to put my streamer (a PI based light one). Or is it a clear no-no?
The spring doesn't get tooo toasty. And it's mostly on the right hand side where the DAC module and output stage is. Stacking something on the left side would be no problem.

The May gets much hotter and it's strongly advised not to put stuff ontop of it if it can be avoided

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,501 of 4,063
@GoldenOne any ETA for your Spring 3 video (and comparison to May)?

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,502 of 4,063
@GoldenOne any ETA for your Spring 3 video (and comparison to May)?
@GoldenOne

If you can also compare it to the TT2 without Mscaler…would be very much appreciated. Reviewers tend to glaze over what the TT2 without Mscaler is like compared to other dacs. It’s a $10k system…I have to assume more people know what the TT2 sounds like than the +Mscaler stack.

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,503 of 4,063
Quick question: Does anyone stack something on top of the Spring DACs? I am waiting on mine and I have no place to put my streamer (a PI based light one). Or is it a clear no-no?
I purchased this for the top shelf of my rack https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0122TWDH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It provides plenty of air space for the holo and fits my shelf. Right now I have a Matrix Xspdif, an ifi zen stream, and rca and an xlr switch on it. Oh and a smallish hp amp that I thought I would sell but is showing to be quite nice.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #2,505 of 4,063
@GoldenOne Do you know, Is the Pi2AES I2S pinout compatible with Spring 3?

@kyorakun Interesting what you say, comparing Spring 3 with the Pontus 2. After a Youtube review from some time ago (Spring 2 vs Pontus 1), I thought that Holo sound, tends to be warmer/more laid back than Denafrips. It would be interesting to know @koso impresions too.
Yes, set the i2s pinout on the spring 3 to 'alt1' and it matches pi2aes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back