Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 6, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #3,632 of 4,078
I was also looking for a streamer but eventually went with a mini pc like below for 1 reason, unlike a decent pc most streamers don't have the horsepower for 1.5 million taps oversampling which the Spring 3 support, then you can use HQPlayer oversampling with Spring 3 just like Mscaler ($5000) with a Chord DAC, also USB in spring 3 KTE is measurably equal to I2S so no benefits here, however if more digital output is required a streamer or ddc will still be preferable.

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Computers-5600H-32GB-500GB/dp/B0B82HHF5R/
Just pointing out that you may very well need something with more umph than a mini PC to run many of the more demanding filters in HQPlayer, especially when upsampling to DSD. I use a 8th Gen NUC and there are a lot of filters I cannot use when running DSD256+ and there's zero hope of running any EC modulators at anything higher than DSD128. There's even PCM filters that I cannot run at 1.5mHz.

Check out the HQPlayer CPU thread over at audiophilestyle if you're actually trying to put together specs to run HQP.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #3,633 of 4,078
Just pointing out that you may very well need something with more umph than a mini PC to run many of the more demanding filters in HQPlayer, especially when upsampling to DSD. I use a 8th Gen NUC and there are a lot of filters I cannot use when running DSD256+ and there's zero hope of running any EC modulators at anything higher than DSD128. There's even PCM filters that I cannot run at 1.5mHz.

Check out the HQPlayer CPU thread over at audiophilestyle if you're actually trying to put together specs to run HQP.
I am using GoldenSound's config, PCM, 1.5 million taps, it takes up about 58% CPU on the Beelink 5600H, I use NOS mostly but when I need it to be more incisive and attacking his HQPlayer setting work well.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/...mY-4ct2IZMJX4jY81vZlkaNitU0?usp=sharing&pli=1

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #3,634 of 4,078
Mar 7, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #3,635 of 4,078
Like I said, all depends on what filters you want to run. Can you run Sinc-L at that sample rate? How about gauss-xla? I can't.
I think I mistakenly said 58% earlier, should have been 38%, Sinc-L is near about same as Sinc-Mx at 35%-40% cpu, but poly-sinc-gauss-xla caused the cpu to shoot to 300%-400% so bascially unplayable. I am using HQPlayer (AVX2 optimized) in Ubuntu Linux.

Mar 9, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #3,636 of 4,078
Almost at the end of week number 6 since I placed my order for the Spring 3, still no shipping info yet. My order may have been delayed by the Lunar New Year, but after spending $3200 and then buying a Bliss a month later it's a little hard not to get nervous.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #3,637 of 4,078
Almost at the end of week number 6 since I placed my order for the Spring 3, still no shipping info yet. My order may have been delayed by the Lunar New Year, but after spending $3200 and then buying a Bliss a month later it's a litter hard not to get nervous.

Holo Audio is really good about hitting estimated timelines. Kitsune or Magna are at the mercy of HA and HA takes their timelines serious it seems. China shipping of course can have issues, but I believe we are beyond the "airline space limitations" issue we all were faced with for the last few years, I use air, freight, and cargo from China for some of my business as well.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #3,638 of 4,078
Just a general technical question: I have a 10 year old Polk Audio powered subwoofer that has (stereo) line input and a switch for "norm." and "rev.", plus the speaker ins and outs.

Is it really safe to connect my spring 3 with preamp module to this sub line in, and leave the switch at norm.?
To add the context, the XLR out of the spring are going to a KG CFA3 that amps both my HPs and my speakers directly from its speaker taps.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,639 of 4,078
Just a general technical question: I have a 10 year old Polk Audio powered subwoofer that has (stereo) line input and a switch for "norm." and "rev.", plus the speaker ins and outs.

Is it really safe to connect my spring 3 with preamp module to this sub line in, and leave the switch at norm.?
To add the context, the XLR out of the spring are going to a KG CFA3 that amps both my HPs and my speakers directly from its speaker taps.

@lsantista Long Time no talk! Hope you are well!

Yes you can connect the RCA out on the Spring 3 to the Polk Sub RCA in, use both L & R or sum them it doesn't matter. The Spring 3 will output the same signal on both LINE OUTS at the same time in this scenario and you can use the Spring 3 Preamp to attenuate the signal to all LINE outputs at the same time. I did this when running a sub with different headphones/earphones in the past.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #3,640 of 4,078
Hey, all going well 'round here, tks! Sure hope the same

So I lit the sub up and it works a bit too well! I mean, in my room and setup, it takes only 1-1,5 / 10 on the sub's volume dial to reach quite significant bass. This was my bro's spare home theater sub, so I didnt expect it to be top notch, but it is sounding way too bloated to my tastes. I will play with positioning after I get a longer rca cable! right now the woofer has to face the wall, so this probably is making it sound worse than it could
Also can say from initial listening that overall the adition of the sub paired better with the K1000 than with the small speakers (because there is more focus on the overall music and less to the bloated bass, plus I got to open the K1000 a bit more , which I generally like). But the brain does have to get used to this interesting experience, as it perceives the bass not coming from the headphones

Anyway, I still much enjoy the Spring 3 with pre -> CFA3 -> whatever you throw at it

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #3,641 of 4,078
My Spring 3 is on the way.....I think.

Got a text notification from DHL this morning with a shipping number coming from Hong Kong. At first, I thought it was a spam text, since I assumed I would get an email from Kitsune Hi-Fi, and their website still says processing.

Looked it up on the DHL website and the tracking number is legit, and I have not ordered anything that would come from HK aside from the Bliss.

Mar 16, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #3,643 of 4,078
Any Spring 2 owners here purchased without the pre amp, and then decided to add it? I managed a used Spring 2 KTE, and while it's a discontinued product, the sales literature is still there for the 2 and says 'can be added at a later date'.

Has anyone done so? Is it just a drop in card?
I know the ultimate answer is to contact them, just want to see if anyone here had experience with it before bugging them.

Mar 17, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #3,644 of 4,078
Any Spring 2 owners here purchased without the pre amp, and then decided to add it? I managed a used Spring 2 KTE, and while it's a discontinued product, the sales literature is still there for the 2 and says 'can be added at a later date'.

Has anyone done so? Is it just a drop in card?
I know the ultimate answer is to contact them, just want to see if anyone here had experience with it before bugging them.
As far as I know, there was no preamp optipon for any Spring 2 model. Preamp module in Spring 3 dac is directly soldered to main board, so no easy plug-in card, as in the case of a usb module.

Mar 17, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #3,645 of 4,078
As far as I know, there was no preamp optipon for any Spring 2 model. Preamp module in Spring 3 dac is directly soldered to main board, so no easy plug-in card, as in the case of a usb module.
This is correct on all counts, it is not a user installable item/feature.

To be kind, the Spring 2 never came with a PAM (Preamp Module), and it can not accomodate it. The Spring 3 is a factory installable option but in some circumstances you could possibly send your Spring 3 in for a factory retrofit but you would be paying for shipping both ways, $600USD for the module and the installation labor. Much better to buy a new or preowned Spring 3 with PAM and sell the other DAC if that is what you need.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back