Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Nov 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #301 of 4,063
http://hifipig.com/mqa-integration-made-simple-ces-2016/

Mqa as far as I understand is a decoder ic that is before say... the xmos ic. It deals with copyright infringement I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But our spring DAC is designed in a way that would allow for an upgrade module to be replaced. USB module is removeable so technically speaking.... it's possible. But "if" we go this route it won't be a free upgrade but more of an optional thing that can be installed.

The photo is the mqa module example.

We are looking further into mqa and maybe will support it in the future as we understand the need for steaming audio.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #302 of 4,063
Thanks. Very good clarification. Looking forward to Black Friday :grinning:

Then I will not give up the hope for a possible future MQA upgrade. And I did not expect it to be free, but hopefully it can be done in the field. We are most likely 8 to 12 months away from Tidal and others can offer MQA streaming.
(This is how I understand Sterophiles interview with Bob last month)

There is no DRM or copyright in MQA.
CA has a thread where Bob explain and answer question about MQA.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/comments11.html#comments

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #303 of 4,063
As I understand it currently, MQA involves the different compression alogorithm to enable lossless hires streaming, and can use what I will loosely term "filter", which is specific to the decoding hardware, and provided by the decoding hardware. I'm not sure of how much of that is done by the software player, or server, and how much has to be done by the DAC.

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #304 of 4,063
Any comparisons with the Ref 7.1/Master 7/NOS 7?

Nov 5, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #305 of 4,063
Would be good to see more comparisons.

I still think it needs comparison to the Pavane since everyone says NOS mode is the only mode that sounds decent. Other NOS DAC's should be directly compared if someone has the means and opportunity.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #306 of 4,063
Would be good to see more comparisons.

I still think it needs comparison to the Pavane since everyone says NOS mode is the only mode that sounds decent. Other NOS DAC's should be directly compared if someone has the means and opportunity.

This is my only NOS and R2R DAC....and I think NOS mode is the best.
Mainly because it's the mode that sounds the most "realistic", and where the textures sound the most organic.

I also find that OS-PCM sounds a lot similar to the typical SD-OS DAC, with it's 'artificial' sharpened sound. (My point of reference being a Grace m920)

After getting use to the Spring, the Grace sounds too sharp (not to be mistaken for detail), I think it's similar to looking at an image after a sharpen filter has been applied.

*Most listening was done on HD800 and SR-009(727A/feedback mod)

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #308 of 4,063
  Listened to this DAC at New York Audio Show at the HeadAMp Booth. Must say I was floored. Great dac, and made me question wheter to get this or the value proposition of the Schiit Gungnir >< HELP!

Good question. Better yet, is the Modi Multibit even worth getting in comparison to the Holo or am I better off saving that $250 towards the Holo? Has anyone heard both and can say how close (percentage wise) the Mimby might be to the Holo?

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #309 of 4,063
Good question. Better yet, is the Modi Multibit even worth getting in comparison to the Holo or am I better off saving that $250 towards the Holo? Has anyone heard both and can say how close (percentage wise) the Mimby might be to the Holo?

i Haven't heard the mimby...but merrick who's heard both said it is close to a geek out v2+ infinity..which i owned before. For me the holo sounded much better but ymmv as always

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #310 of 4,063
I suggest we wait for @Torq review to be published. He had compared the Holo Spring to Yggy and Pavane. It is a very good review without the flowery nonsense wordings... :grinning:

Nov 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #311 of 4,063
I suggest we wait for @Torq review to be published. He had compared the Holo Spring to Yggy and Pavane. It is a very good review without the flowery nonsense wordings... :grinning:

That sounds good. 

However I have bailed on this DAC. I have purchased a Chord Hugo TT, it's the best DAC I've ever heard by a good margin. 

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #312 of 4,063
That sounds good. 

However I have bailed on this DAC. I have purchased a Chord Hugo TT, it's the best DAC I've ever heard by a good margin. 

Nice. Enjoy the TT. I have heard many good things about this DAC.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #313 of 4,063
Can anyone comment on the performance delta between Level 1 and Level 2?

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #315 of 4,063
Listened to this DAC at New York Audio Show at the HeadAMp Booth. Must say I was floored. Great dac, and made me question wheter to get this or the value proposition of the Schiit Gungnir >< HELP!

Just remember Schiit has stated officially that they will not support MQA. And MQA is going to happen. If you not a Tidal hifi subscriper, I suppose it doesn't matter to you anyway.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/schiitting-on-mqa/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back