Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Nov 1, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #286 of 4,063
....it is VERY possible that an R2R resistor network, SPECIFICALLY and ONLY for DSD .... could be used for native DSD conversion....

PCM can decode with a R2R resistor ladder. Its easy to see why its called a ladder with its cascading design:

I think it may be misleading to claim DSD is using a R2R network if its just using a BurrBrown resistor based multi tap FIR with no ladder in sight?

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #287 of 4,063
Why was bimmer 100 post about the difference between the Spring DAC's true linear compensation and Metrum's forward correction deleted? It was a very informative read and very respectful toward Metrum Acoustics.

Dunno - but I saved the thread update email with the reply so i could read it again.

no direct comparisons to other gear is allowed for MOT on Headfi. So my comment was deleted. I didn't mean to be disrespectful but that wasn't the point. It wasn't appropriate for the rules of the forums. So leave it at that. :D 

Dammit. I posted the original question as I 'thought' they were the same thing and I'd checked back every couple days and now I've missed it :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #288 of 4,063
What Metrum Acoustics is doing is not compensation. Other DAC manufactures who use expensive laser trimming to get precise resistance valves is compensation. Holo Spring DACs has found a way to compensate by using a less expensive method, a secondary R2R ladder does the compensation.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #289 of 4,063
iEs-FmL8xidar_rzaSWpoCy3fsdAZ-CwOcQnOEUfHapN7Jo00wC5iH2iHFZUkt9NMLwQJ7sp2W8=w1167-h1310-no

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #291 of 4,063
Nov 3, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #293 of 4,063
  Do you ship th eHolo Audio Spring DAC to the UK or do you have a dealer/distributer here?

No official dealer/seller in EU, but you can buy one from a good taobao agent for around 1550$ for a L1 and 1750$ for a L2, that price is including paypal fee and shipping cost.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #294 of 4,063
Or you can have a better deal with Shenzenaudio : 1500$ for a L1 and 1653$ for a L2

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #295 of 4,063
I bought mine from Wildism HK. He also has good price and very prompt in communicating.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #297 of 4,063
  Or you can have a better deal with Shenzenaudio : 1500$ for a L1 and 1653$ for a L2

I noticed that you have a Soekris DAM1021 under your list of DACs...
How does it compare to the spring?

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #298 of 4,063
bimmer100:

How will MQA be implemented ? Can it be done by firmware update ?

Will there be a silver/alu version ?

Can I feed the Spring with my own DC, and what is the voltage and minimum current draw ?
(I like to use the Uptone Audio LPS-1)

When will you open your website for international orders ?
or
Can I order L3 version direct from China ?

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #299 of 4,063
This is the first time ever I heard that MQA is a hardware solution. Other DAC manufacturers are able to this in SW, and if MQA the company allowed it, SW player would have MQA. Maybe you need to add a chip in order to decode the MQA signal and and the corrections needed for you DAC chip, as you are not able to modify the DAC firmware or add necessary processing needed ?
(Well the blue MQA authentic light is of cause HW) :wink:

I understand your answer that present Spring DAC will not be offered with a MQA upgrade. Which was important for me to know. Not SW or HW. A MQA implementation if happens will only be available in new or future products.

About power, I was hoping for a conformation as the internal DC regulator has a specification between 5 and 12 volt or what ever. And maybe if not amps, at least how many watt the unit consumes. I'm sure you can tell us. But it you do not want to, just say so. That's ok too.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #300 of 4,063
Well the transformer is 100vac or approx 100watts. But the DAC actually only consumes approx. 40watts.

But bypassing the spring's psu/transformer is not recommended. Half the value and time of the DAC has been in the power implementation. The transformer is not a cheap toroid. It's an Otype, which shares the benefits of R core and toroid with no downsides. It's ideal for audio especially how its been used for the spring DAC.
The smaller transformer is simply for standby and NOT in the audio path. Outputs are disabled and only power saving mode is on with that little transformer. It's a class A device so the components can be kept warm without consuming power from the massive 100vac transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back