Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #2,236 of 4,063
Has anyone compared the Holo to any of Metrum/Sonnets offerings? I just got in my Pavane and getting used to the NOS sound but just curious about what the Holo sounds like. I’ve always heard it described as sweet but I have never really had anyone expand on that? Is the midrange sweet? Is it mainly a neutral DAC? I wish there was a way to hear one because then I could decide if I would move the Pavane to my speaker setup and get the Holo for headphone listening.
I've used a holo spring 2 for headphone listening and it was awesome. In NOS mode it sounds best and there it is more sweet/rolled than neutral, so if you want absolute uncoloured sound better look elsewhere. I can't compare to Metrum stuff though. But from memory holo spring 2 is the best DAC I've had, can only recommend it in full.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2,237 of 4,063
I've used a holo spring 2 for headphone listening and it was awesome. In NOS mode it sounds best and there it is more sweet/rolled than neutral, so if you want absolute uncoloured sound better look elsewhere. I can't compare to Metrum stuff though. But from memory holo spring 2 is the best DAC I've had, can only recommend it in full.

No issues there then just curious if it’s a bad pairing with headphones that are already warm like ZMF cans (I have the Eikons, for example). I do notice the roll off with NOS but it’s not bad persay, you lose out on some air and treble sharpness but you get all day listening pleasure.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by sweet? Does the midrange sound sweet or is it the treble that sparkles and sound inoffensive? I have a hard time understanding what people mean by that when they describe this DAC.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #2,238 of 4,063
No issues there then just curious if it’s a bad pairing with headphones that are already warm like ZMF cans (I have the Eikons, for example). I do notice the roll off with NOS but it’s not bad persay, you lose out on some air and treble sharpness but you get all day listening pleasure.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by sweet? Does the midrange sound sweet or is it the treble that sparkles and sound inoffensive? I have a hard time understanding what people mean by that when they describe this DAC.
It's been a while though, but for me the holo spring 2 sounds very 'layered' and authentic. NOS with low-res material can sound less sparkly/airy, but with high-res or upsampled material that is no longer the case.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2,239 of 4,063
It's been a while though, but for me the holo spring 2 sounds very 'layered' and authentic. NOS with low-res material can sound less sparkly/airy, but with high-res or upsampled material that is no longer the case.

Ive heard this on multiple occasions with NOS. Any specific filter you prefer if you’re using HQPlayer? I think that’s why I’m struggling with NOS currently actually as my Eikons were pretty airy before and on regular Redbook they sound kind of muted.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #2,240 of 4,063
Ive heard this on multiple occasions with NOS. Any specific filter you prefer if you’re using HQPlayer? I think that’s why I’m struggling with NOS currently actually as my Eikons were pretty airy before and on regular Redbook they sound kind of muted.
Have you tried one of the poly-sinc PCM to 704kHz/1.4MHz?

yeah with Redbook it can be especially noticeable

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,241 of 4,063
Have you tried one of the poly-sinc PCM to 704kHz/1.4MHz?

yeah with Redbook it can be especially noticeable

I'm currently running USB - my limit is 384. What interface are you using to get it so high?

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #2,242 of 4,063
I'm currently running USB - my limit is 384. What interface are you using to get it so high?
Windows with the ASIO driver installed, gives me highest 48kHz multiple as 1.536kHz. This works up to 24-bit with foobar upsampling, HQplayer or other player of choice. On OSX rates up to 1.536kHz are also seen, even without driver but will only work with 16-bit, 24-bit will sound garbled (OSX can't go this high); 16-bit works fine too though.

Oh, Windows configuration might not see this as a Device possible rate even with the driver installed. You need to push it to the holo spring manually. In foobar2000 you need to set 1408000 (44k) or 1536000 (48k) for example. ASIO or WASAPI is probably required since DirectSound will refuse to play.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #2,243 of 4,063
Windows with the ASIO driver installed, gives me highest 48kHz multiple as 1.536kHz. This works up to 24-bit with foobar upsampling, HQplayer or other player of choice. On OSX rates up to 1.536kHz are also seen, even without driver but will only work with 16-bit, 24-bit will sound garbled (OSX can't go this high); 16-bit works fine too though.

Oh, Windows configuration might not see this as a Device possible rate even with the driver installed. You need to push it to the holo spring manually. In foobar2000 you need to set 1408000 (44k) or 1536000 (48k) for example. ASIO or WASAPI is probably required since DirectSound will refuse to play.

It's quite good upsampled (more air and detail/treble energy) but I think I prefer pure NOS. There's just something about being able to do all day listening and a more 'pure' experience. Buying a NOS DAC just to oversample seems counterintuitive.

Mar 14, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #2,244 of 4,063
I have owned the Level 3 with Singxer Su-1 bridge and a Metrum Musette. Both are Very good. But this is how I would summarise them:
Musette - More Vinyl sounding as it sounds softer and has a bit of HF roll off. Very natural midrange. Bit laid back.

Holo - More energetic sounding without fatiguing. HF is more extended but not harsh. Bigger soundstage. With the Su-1 it sounds just as good as the Musette in the mids. The Holo was double the price of the Musette. The Su-1 just cleans the sound just a tad more so it’s a worthwhile upgrade.

Also, the Metrum was limited to 16 bit (DAC one module). The DAC two modules can play 24 bit.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,245 of 4,063
Has anyone been able to compare the Holo May to the Spring 2 (any level) or maybe even the upcoming Spring 3?

Curious about the differences between the two different products, the website doesn't talk about it much. The little feedback I've seen on Spring vs Spring 2 (any level) seems to indicate that the Spring 2 is more or less a "new and improved" Spring but nothing about the Spring vs May. If we use headphones analogies, is this like the HFM Ananda, Arya, and Susvara that are all very similar sounding and more or less just upgrades? Or is it more like going between an HE-6 family headphone vs the HE-1000 family where the two are pretty different in most aspects and one just happens to cost more than the other?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,247 of 4,063
Has anyone been able to compare the Holo May to the Spring 2 (any level) or maybe even the upcoming Spring 3?

Curious about the differences between the two different products, the website doesn't talk about it much. The little feedback I've seen on Spring vs Spring 2 (any level) seems to indicate that the Spring 2 is more or less a "new and improved" Spring but nothing about the Spring vs May. If we use headphones analogies, is this like the HFM Ananda, Arya, and Susvara that are all very similar sounding and more or less just upgrades? Or is it more like going between an HE-6 family headphone vs the HE-1000 family where the two are pretty different in most aspects and one just happens to cost more than the other?

I was looking at May to upgrade Spring 2 Lvl 2 but went with Denafrips Terminator after auditioning it.

It is different to Holo's sound, laid back and rolled off trabble, it is dynamic and detail retrieval was just amazing. Also the separation each instrument was just amazing....... I am 99% classical music listener and believe Terminator just did all type of music perfectly... wind, string opera, Terminator just reproduced sound so perfectly.........

Holo does look much better and has remote but yeah guess at the end of the day subjective sound quality is what it matters :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #2,248 of 4,063
Would you say the sound of the May was similar to the Spring 2 lvl2? Or was it a different sound all together.

FWIW, I don't think the Denafrips Terminator will work for me sound wise, much of it being the laid back sound and rolled treble you mention above.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,249 of 4,063
Hey all, does anyone have a way to get a hold of Kitsune HiFi that isn't through the contact me thing on their page. I have sent two messages and gotten no response. I ordered my Spring about a month ago and have heard nothing from them other than one auto response upon initial order. I'm a little concerned about spending so much money and having such a hard time getting a response from them. I certainly understand that the website warns of a 4-6 week wait for your order, but I still don't think replying to an email is too much to ask.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,250 of 4,063
Hey all, does anyone have a way to get a hold of Kitsune HiFi that isn't through the contact me thing on their page. I have sent two messages and gotten no response. I ordered my Spring about a month ago and have heard nothing from them other than one auto response upon initial order. I'm a little concerned about spending so much money and having such a hard time getting a response from them. I certainly understand that the website warns of a 4-6 week wait for your order, but I still don't think replying to an email is too much to ask.
You could try PMing him here. he's bimmer100 here on head-fi and on other sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back