Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 9, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #2,221 of 4,067
I will be interested to hear your impressions. What cable did you get? I'm pretty unfamiliar with i2s at this point (other than it looks like hdmi)
Looks like it is getting returned. Wasn't able to get it to play at anything higher than 192k and more over wasn't able to play DSD at all. Product was supposed to be able to play upto 384k and DSD but wasn't able to get it working using both Volumio or Moode player.

Now time to hunt for another i2s device... or streamer with USB output.

Looking at SMSL DP5 or Lumin U2 Mini... but Lumin, price is a little too high....

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #2,222 of 4,067
Anyone know why kitsunehifi is seemingly sold out of a lot of holo stuff and other items? Is it just the pandemic or something else? I would really like to find a spring on the used market but may have to buy new and just want to make sure something is going on with them that I should know about.

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,223 of 4,067
I would really like to find a spring on the used market but may have to buy new and just want to make sure something is going on with them that I should know about.
I think it'll be hard to find a used Spring DAC on the market.
Also, most likely what's going on with Kitsune is people really enjoy the Holo products which is why they're sold out.

Feb 10, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #2,224 of 4,067
Anyone know why kitsunehifi is seemingly sold out of a lot of holo stuff and other items? Is it just the pandemic or something else? I would really like to find a spring on the used market but may have to buy new and just want to make sure something is going on with them that I should know about.

I believe sold out means they don't have the parts to make any at the moment. Even in stock just means they have the parts but they still build to order.

All that being said, I'll probably put my spring 1 kte up for sale soon since it is not getting much use ever since I upgraded to may kte

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #2,225 of 4,067
One more question before I pull the trigger on one of these. I use the top of an Ikea Expedit for my gear. I currently have my turntable (VPI Classic), phonostage (Herron VTPH-2), and Amp (Decware Torii) on it. I do not have room to put the Spring on it unless I stack. I was thinking of putting the Herron on top of the Spring. I know this is not truly ideal but is there any compelling reason not to do so? Does the Spring get hot? I would need to do some pretty serious re-arranging and purchase a dedicated audio rack to change my setup (which I really don't want to do). Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,226 of 4,067
Spring does get warm but not
One more question before I pull the trigger on one of these. I use the top of an Ikea Expedit for my gear. I currently have my turntable (VPI Classic), phonostage (Herron VTPH-2), and Amp (Decware Torii) on it. I do not have room to put the Spring on it unless I stack. I was thinking of putting the Herron on top of the Spring. I know this is not truly ideal but is there any compelling reason not to do so? Does the Spring get hot? I would need to do some pretty serious re-arranging and purchase a dedicated audio rack to change my setup (which I really don't want to do). Thanks.

Holo gets a little warm but not hot, a little warm to touch they are built top notch so stacking on top of unit doesn't look to affect the device... might want to have little gap between the 2 devices though.... may be IsoAcoustics similar to make some gap for air?

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,227 of 4,067
Spring does get warm but not

Holo gets a little warm but not hot, a little warm to touch they are built top notch so stacking on top of unit doesn't look to affect the device... might want to have little gap between the 2 devices though.... may be IsoAcoustics similar to make some gap for air?
I use some viablue feet which are similar to the IsoAcoustic ones,simply for a little more air between the devices.

For heat dissipation it works great, sound wise I I couldn't hear a difference

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,229 of 4,067
I placed my order with kitsune hifi, now the hard part, the waiting
Oh congrats man!!!!! Sorry for bad news but Chinese New Year so might take a little longer :)

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #2,230 of 4,067
Can't seem to find the may thread so I'll post this here instead

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #2,231 of 4,067
Can't seem to find the may thread so I'll post this here instead

He lost me at Anime picture and “tickle me under the balls”

im sure it’s not worth 4,000 but the holo spring is definitely a nice dac and that is prob better

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,232 of 4,067
Deleted. Working on solution now.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,233 of 4,067
Deleted

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #2,234 of 4,067
Deleted.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #2,235 of 4,067
Has anyone compared the Holo to any of Metrum/Sonnets offerings? I just got in my Pavane and I’m still getting used to the NOS sound but just curious about what the Holo sounds like. I’ve always heard it described as sweet but I have never really had anyone expand on that? Is the midrange sweet? Is it mainly a neutral DAC? I wish there was a way to hear one because then I could decide if I would move the Pavane to my speaker setup and get the Holo for headphone listening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back