Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #1,520 of 4,067
I already have wyrd. I am not sure if I should get the SU-1.

I2S input is the best for the Spring as that input goes straight to DAC rather than to a receiver chip (Digital Interface Receiver) since the receiver chip in the SU-1 is the one doing the processing.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #1,521 of 4,067
I2S input is the best for the Spring as that input goes straight to DAC rather than to a receiver chip (Digital Interface Receiver) since the receiver chip in the SU-1 is the one doing the processing.

I've read a lot of good things about I2S input but what does it make to the sound quality? A cleaner data transfer?

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #1,522 of 4,067
I've read a lot of good things about I2S input but what does it make to the sound quality? A cleaner data transfer?

Purer, less jitter, if that make sense, because the data is only converted once instead of twice like USB to SPDIF (the SPDIF will get converted to I2S inside the Spring before it goes to the DAC ladder). Many feel that the USB receiver chip inside the Holo is inferior to the ones in the SU-1.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #1,523 of 4,067
Purer, less jitter, if that make sense, because the data is only converted once instead of twice like USB to SPDIF (the SPDIF will get converted to I2S inside the Spring before it goes to the DAC ladder). Many feel that the USB receiver chip inside the Holo is inferior to the ones in the SU-1.
So does this mean that no matter how good and clean is the signal you feed the USB of the Spring DAC with, the signal will be ruined by a poor conversion to I2S inside the Spring?

= I can throw to the bin $2000+ I invested to clean my USB path?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,524 of 4,067
So does this mean that no matter how good and clean is the signal you feed the USB of the Spring DAC with, the signal will be ruined by a poor conversion to I2S inside the Spring?

= I can throw to the bin $2000+ I invested to clean my USB path?

This is subjective keep in mind. I believe that the DIR chip in the Spring is already very good. it’s just that the SU-1 has decrapifier implementations inside aside from its internal DIR chip that converts to I2S. Also Keep in mind that source quality (not referring to hi-res files, but the hardware) matters too so the better the source the better the sound regardless if youse the su1 or other decrapifier chains

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #1,525 of 4,067
This is subjective keep in mind. I believe that the DIR chip in the Spring is already very good. it’s just that the SU-1 has decrapifier implementations inside aside from its internal DIR chip that converts to I2S. Also Keep in mind that source quality (not referring to hi-res files, but the hardware) matters too so the better the source the better the sound regardless if youse the su1 or other decrapifier chains

Thanks for the explanation! I'll try to enjoy the spring dac first without SU-1 and I can always add that up to the chain in the future :ksc75smile:

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,526 of 4,067
Thanks, but I know myself, now I have this bug in my head and I'll never stop thinking about it unless I try it!
Maybe amazon can help...

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,527 of 4,067
This is -straight out of the box- setup (the iFI iUSB Micro 3.0 has 2x USB out) :-

Computer -> IFI iUSB Micro 3.0 -----> (1) SU-1 -----> Holo Spring
| (2) direct |
---------------------

So all I have to do at the moment is to use the Holo Spring to switch between I2S and USB, and for -now- the SU-1 sounds a little more holographic, a little more lower (bass) end, but overall sounds a little rough & gritty all round (from bass -> treble region). I think the SU-1 is going to need a lot of burn in. My Holo Spring has had over 400 hrs (mostly done by my friend before he shipped it to me).

I also have been through similar set up. I started out with iFI iUSB Micro 3.0 to Holo Spring, while that was good, but later with SU-1 added after the iUSB Micro 3.0 was little better. and once I replaced the cable with iFI Gemini (to separate USB signal and USB power), SQ improved a little further again. I experienced significant jump in SQ improvement once I started modifying SU-1, and think SU-1 has great potential to be an excellent match with Spring DAC.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,528 of 4,067
I've been trying to hear a clear difference between expensive-USB-source>SU-1>I2S>KTE 3 and cheaper-USB-source>Schiit Eitr>S/PDIF>KTE 3 and have not been able to so far.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,529 of 4,067
Hi ahhmadfaizadnan,Doraymon both two you guys, dont worry if you have clean source. SU-1 might sound better than straight usb but SOTM or any device clean the noise from your source it will be no problem for sure. Try first without SU-1 than if you still not happy with sound. You always do it later.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #1,530 of 4,067
A fellow HF member lent me his SU-1 earlier this summer to try with my Level 1 Spring DAC and I was significantly impressed (vs. USB direct from my Surface Pro 3). It's as if the Spring DAC is very relaxed and happy to be communicated with in its native language. Unfortunately the owner wanted it back. :frowning2:

Just as I was about to buy the SU-1 the Eiter was released so I've bought it instead and am also impressed - just not to the degree of the SU-1.

To my thinking, that the Spring accepts an I2S signal is another positive that sets it apart. Sure, it adds cost for the SU-1, but worth it in my opinion.

For most any other DAC the Eiter seems an excellent way to go.

It's worth noting I've not tried any of the many other USB decrapifiers (but with the SU-1 and the Schiit now available is it even worth the bother?).

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back