Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,486 of 4,067
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,487 of 4,067
do not skimp on pre amp schiit only do so much if you dont have budget still about 2 grand there are so many more option available which Parasound JC 2+,Cary Audio SLP 03,Don Sach Preamp or some higher price preamp you can have second hand markect for much better price.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,488 of 4,067
do not skimp on pre amp schiit only do so much if you dont have budget still about 2 grand there are so many more option available which Parasound JC 2+,Cary Audio SLP 03,Don Sach Preamp or some higher price preamp you can have second hand markect for much better price.

I just need a passive preamp, just for volume control.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,494 of 4,067
So the Spring KTE and the Ice Age Silver/Silver power cord are ordered but now I am left with a big doubt... KTE SU-1 or not?

As I already posted earlier I just spent a fortune on an sMS-200ultra and tX-USBultra (both powered by an sPS-500) in order to get the cleanest possible USB signal to feed my DAC.
Switching from the Hugo (sold) to the Spring KTE I find out that the I2S input has advantages over the USB. I will not be able to audition by myself so I will have to trust what I read.

I am very reluctant to add another box between source and DAC and I am afraid that the "reconstructed" and clean signal output by the tX-USBultra could be even degraded when passing through the KTE S-U1.
I don't know the physics behind all the signal manipulation so it's really hard for me to decide...

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,495 of 4,067
So the Spring KTE and the Ice Age Silver/Silver power cord are ordered but now I am left with a big doubt... KTE SU-1 or not?
Listen to what you have without the SU-1 and if you like what you're hearing then you're good. :)

I personally didn't care for the SU-1 in my chain (with my system). I then decided to purchase the KTE SU-1 when it came out and too me the KTE was a real nice improvement.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,496 of 4,067
I have Aurender N100h, Intona with holo spring 3 KTE without I2s connection and sound pretty good its your source. Dirty and noise source may need Su-1 but your SOTM stuff good enough without Su-1 and I2s for me, my listening room clean and neat looking other than MAD Science Lab no more another small box please

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,497 of 4,067

As I already posted earlier I just spent a fortune on an sMS-200ultra and tX-USBultra (both powered by an sPS-500) in order to get the cleanest possible USB signal to feed my DAC.
Switching from the Hugo (sold) to the Spring KTE I find out that the I2S input has advantages over the USB. I will not be able to audition by myself so I will have to trust what I read.

I am very reluctant to add another box between source and DAC and I am afraid that the "reconstructed" and clean signal output by the tX-USBultra could be even degraded when passing through the KTE S-U1.
I don't know the physics behind all the signal manipulation so it's really hard for me to decide...

One way to look at this is that all the USB and digital connectivity equipment you own will stay with you much longer than any particular DAC. While there could be advances in the future for digital connectivity, it will likely be a much longer technology cycle. I think it's analogous to digital cameras. I have upgraded my DSLR at least 5-6 times, but I still have every single lens that I purchased during that time. I know the physics in lens design has remained relatively unchanged in the past 50+ years while the image capture technology changed every 2-3 years.

My own opinion is that USB is here to stay, but if there is a "better way", I believe it will be wireless technology which completely eliminates noise transmission due to power signals. However, I don't think it will be with wifi technology, but rather a low power, low bandwidth, close proximity technology similar to Blue Tooth and Apple W1.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,498 of 4,067
Almost everyone say holo have bad usb board and inferior clock and claim I2s is must but my case usb with clean source result fantastic sound. Few month ago ㅑcompare chord Dave, Bricasti M1 SE side by side. System contain Zesto Audio Pre,power amp drive Martin Logan Renaisance ESL 15A speakers every DAC connect to Antipode server. All three DACs sound fantastic very little difference but on PCM, dave better than both holo,M1se but DSD Holo was the best. For me DSD is very important. I owns more than 2500 albums. I was VERY disappointed from Dave DSD sound. so 2500$ holo spring can compete with 10000$ DACs but Hopely Next May DAC will be come out with better usb board,clock and all that magic touch can compete with even higher price range DAC.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,499 of 4,067

My comparisons (all PCM from 44.1/16 to 192/24, via Roon):

1) microRendu+UpTone LPS-1>USB>...
2) microRendu+UpTone LPS-1>USB>(non-KTE SU-1)>I2S>...
3) Allo USBridge>USB>Schiit Eitr>S/PDIF (Nordost Blue Haven coax)>...

1) sounds a bit harsher, fuzzier than 2) in mid-high frequencies. So far, I've not been able to hear much of a difference between 3) and 2). 3) costs ~400 USD, 2) ~1400 USD. YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #1,500 of 4,067
Almost everyone say holo have bad usb board and inferior clock and claim I2s is must but my case usb with clean source result fantastic sound. Few month ago ㅑcompare chord Dave, Bricasti M1 SE side by side. System contain Zesto Audio Pre,power amp drive Martin Logan Renaisance ESL 15A speakers every DAC connect to Antipode server. All three DACs sound fantastic very little difference but on PCM, dave better than both holo,M1se but DSD Holo was the best. For me DSD is very important. I owns more than 2500 albums. I was VERY disappointed from Dave DSD sound. so 2500$ holo spring can compete with 10000$ DACs but Hopely Next May DAC will be come out with better usb board,clock and all that magic touch can compete with even higher price range DAC.

I am using usb with no SU-1 in the chain....DSD sounds spectacular with this dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back