Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Sep 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,471 of 4,062
I'm hoping I won't feel compelled to buy an SU-1 as I would really prefer not to add yet another box and signal cable between the NAA and DAC, as well as another power cable. In fact, I would really like to de-clutter!

I am not a fan of Holo's USB implementation. When I first took delivery of my Spring, I tried using it via "straight USB". I wasn't impressed. I put an Intona in the USB signal path and things improved. ...but nothing beat the SU-1 and the I2S connection.

I feel that the Holo Spring is a very good DAC "out of the box". However, you can really get it to punch over its weight class with an SU-1.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,473 of 4,062
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Spring L3, but i still have a few doubts though.
I understand its USB input is the worst of all in terms of SQ, too bad this is the one I'm going to use.
I just invested an arm and a leg on a SOtM trio (sMS-200ultra, tX-USBultra and sPS-500) to improve the USB signal being fed to the DAC.
Do you think this will work good with the Spring L3?
Or am I wasting my money?

I am using my KTE Holo Spring L3 using usb.....I am enjoying it so much, that I have not really even thought about the SU-1 much.
I may get it after I get another set of headphones that I want, just to compare for myself. I have no issues with usb at all, never had a drop out with this dac.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,474 of 4,062
I am using my KTE Holo Spring L3 using usb.....I am enjoying it so much, that I have not really even thought about the SU-1 much.
I may get it after I get another set of headphones that I want, just to compare for myself. I have no issues with usb at all, never had a drop out with this dac.
My Spring KTE 3 arrived before the SU-1, so I was able to compare microRendu>USB>Spring with microRendu>USB>SU-1>I2S>Spring. With SU-1 it sounded a bit better to me, overall more clarity, lack of upper range hash, very clean transients. Yesterday I started comparing USB>SU-1>I2S to USB>Eitr>S/PDIF and I so far I've not heard much difference.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,475 of 4,062
I started comparing USB>SU-1>I2S to USB>Eitr>S/PDIF and I so far I've not heard much difference.

When you use the I2S input on your Holo Spring you're bypassing the internal AK4118A receiver circuit and pretty much sending the signal straight to the digital/analog converter. Taking one more conversion step out of the signal path is where many owners perceive an improvement.

In my experiences/testing - I've found the I2S to be the preferred input. The differences were subtle, but in back-to-back testing; clearly audible.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,476 of 4,062
When you use the I2S input on your Holo Spring you're bypassing the internal AK4118A receiver circuit and pretty much sending the signal straight to the digital/analog converter. Taking one more conversion step out of the signal path is where many owners perceive an improvement.

In my experiences/testing - I've found the I2S to be the preferred input. The differences were subtle, but in back-to-back testing; clearly audible.
But with the SU-1, you are not removing any conversion from the signal path: what was done by the AK4118A within the Spring is now done by a comparable chip within the SU-1.

Sep 16, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,477 of 4,062
Power cords ideas anyone?
Without going bankrupt?

Depending on your definition of going bankrupt: Anticables Level 3 or Ice Age Audio Silver/Silver

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,478 of 4,062
Depending on your definition of going bankrupt: Anticables Level 3 or Ice Age Audio Silver/Silver
The AntiCables level 1 seem well built and within my stretched budget.
Not sure I understand the difference with Level 3 but I guess they are a good starting point.
Consider that my Liquid Carbon came with an Audioquest NRG X3 which is probably at a similar level with the AntiCables L1?

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #1,479 of 4,062
The AntiCables level 1 seem well built and within my stretched budget.
Not sure I understand the difference with Level 3 but I guess they are a good starting point.
Consider that my Liquid Carbon came with an Audioquest NRG X3 which is probably at a similar level with the AntiCables L1?

I only have experience with them L3 so I can't comment on the L1.

Honestly I'd give Ice Age Audio a try. It was only marginally bested by the Level 3 and its 1/3 the price. I did a comparison between those two and the Emotiva XIEC. I would have kept the Ice Age Audio cable but I went into the the comparison telling the manufacturers that I would keep which everyone was best regardless of price. Rick at Ice Age Audio is a good guy. When I decide to finish upgrading the rest of my power cords I'm going there.

http://www.iceageaudio.com/audiophile-power-cords.html

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,480 of 4,062
I only have experience with them L3 so I can't comment on the L1.

Honestly I'd give Ice Age Audio a try. It was only marginally bested by the Level 3 and its 1/3 the price. I did a comparison between those two and the Emotiva XIEC. I would have kept the Ice Age Audio cable but I went into the the comparison telling the manufacturers that I would keep which everyone was best regardless of price. Rick at Ice Age Audio is a good guy. When I decide to finish upgrading the rest of my power cords I'm going there.

http://www.iceageaudio.com/audiophile-power-cords.html

Thanks for the hint, I will give the SILVER/SILVER a try (that's the one you tested right?)

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #1,481 of 4,062
Sep 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,482 of 4,062
Just got my Holo Spring on Friday and hooked it up today. Needed an emergency make-shelf as I was running outta room on my table. This Holo Spring is by Wildism Audio in Hong Kong. It has its own "Wild Stage Special Edition" (it's own Level 3 I guess). I opted out of the AudioNote Trans-280 Pure Silver Digital Transformer to save a little bit of $$$ as that's for AES use only and I don't use AES.

Right now, it's USB driven with the iFI Audio iUSB Micro 3.0 (on the right side of the Electra).

P9170013.jpg

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,483 of 4,062
Anyone using Holo Spring on a home audio stereo setup (no headphones- just speakers)? With Amp, and speakers?

If so, which preamp do you use for Volume control?

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,485 of 4,062
I am using Allnic Audio T-2000 25th AN, KT150 tube base Intergrated Amp which put out 100 watts pure tube music to Kef LS50;Blade2,Himsound A33,Impress and DIY speaker using morel tweeter,5 inch Focal Mid,Two 8 inch Focal Woofer with HMDF cabinet among them I rotate speakers for my feeling. My previous DAC was PS audio PW MK2 and SS PRE,POWER amp.I also have Aurender N100h 4TB, Intona together with First KTE 3 unit I have since last September. I like spring more THAN DAVE for DSD sound for my speaker system. and also ordering Mivera Audio Music server,Streamer, DAC for hopely upgrade from holo spring I will keep both.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back