Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #1,082 of 1,301
I know it is , the fellow trashing Holo Audio said his measurements show it’s not . He says he has a technical background I just thought it strange I don’t see him debating you , especially you . Your the sole reason i purchased the May .
Pretty sure I know who you're referring to. I've attempted to have discussions with the person before and they typically go nowhere
Best just to let trolls be

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,083 of 1,301
Anyone compared May with the new Ferrum Wandla? Wandla looks very promising on paper, wondering if its worth the hassle downsizing the footprint or May still has a significant edge.

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #1,084 of 1,301
Anyone compared May with the new Ferrum Wandla? Wandla looks very promising on paper, wondering if its worth the hassle downsizing the footprint or May still has a significant edge.
IMO the May is better (aside from the excellent inbuilt oversampling on the Wandla), but it's not an enormous gap.

It'll depend on how much of an issue the form factor of May is for you and/or willingness to use external oversampling. There's a higher performance ceiling with the May but Wandla can just plug and play and is more compact

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #1,085 of 1,301
IMO the May is better (aside from the excellent inbuilt oversampling on the Wandla), but it's not an enormous gap.

It'll depend on how much of an issue the form factor of May is for you and/or willingness to use external oversampling. There's a higher performance ceiling with the May but Wandla can just plug and play and is more compact
Pretty much in love with NOS on May, rarely use HQplayer nowdays, sometimes I am throwing Roon oversampling but always get back to NOS. But maybe would use Wanldas oversampling more often because of the convienience. I am fine with the footprint of May as long as I get the sonic benefit.

What exactly do you think May does better and by how much? Is it similar to jump from Spring to May? :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #1,086 of 1,301
I’m a new owner of the May KTE , it arrived a few days ago . Love the sound and looks just beautiful, On a slightly different topic reasons unknown i happen to click on a Denafrips thread of the Venus # 2 the anniversary model ,there’s a Headfi member absolutely trashed Holo Audio , his measurements prove it’s trash it’s not actually a R2R dac funny it’s not clear why he’s not on this thread telling us we all made a stupid purchase and here’s the evidence why . Lol
Many of these so called experts do not really know how to do measurements IMHO, or they are just trolls. I do not even read their posts once found out.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #1,087 of 1,301
@GoldenSound I noticed your comment on some forum that your linearity measurements for May, but didn't find it anywhere. Would you be able to post the pic here? I'm especially interested in how it behaves between -144db and -130db. I'm using USB input and balanced out.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #1,088 of 1,301
I’m a new owner of the May KTE , it arrived a few days ago . Love the sound and looks just beautiful, On a slightly different topic reasons unknown i happen to click on a Denafrips thread of the Venus # 2 the anniversary model ,there’s a Headfi member absolutely trashed Holo Audio , his measurements prove it’s trash it’s not actually a R2R dac funny it’s not clear why he’s not on this thread telling us we all made a stupid purchase and here’s the evidence why . Lol

Where are his measurements posted? Can you linked pls

Feb 14, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #1,090 of 1,301
For you consideration is a "tweak" that might improve your Holo May chain. If you are directly stacking the May and the power supply, you may want to experiment with placing some distance between them. I separated them with a shelf which spaces them two inches apart. This resulted in a cleaner output when using RCA, which I know isn't the preferred output, but it's possible the RCA output has been considered not as good in part, due to the stacking of the two. Try it if you want. It doesn't cost anything and you may (pun intended) enjoy the end result. Or don't :)

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #1,092 of 1,301

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #1,093 of 1,301
Must dust…

I agree with you, Gene, on having them a bit more separated. I find I have better results versus having mine stacked directly on top of each other. My shelves are further apart, so their’s probably good 6 or more inches between the stack.

Side note/question: are you the same Gene from Michael’s Director’s Garage livestream and hangover hangouts? (I’m “iamthejliu”)

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #1,094 of 1,301
I agree with you, Gene, on having them a bit more separated. I find I have better results versus having mine stacked directly on top of each other. My shelves are further apart, so their’s probably good 6 or more inches between the stack.

Side note/question: are you the same Gene from Michael’s Director’s Garage livestream and hangover hangouts? (I’m “iamthejliu”)
I am one & the same. Glad to put a handle to a face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back