Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
May 31, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #513 of 1,271
I know the titanis USB is serious business as far as getting a clean signal to the PC, but would I still benefit from a DDC running an extremely power hungry gpu and cpu with many fans in the PC? Don't really want to build a separate system for music.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #514 of 1,271
Not a lot of traffic here, I'm surprised. My May KTE is still burning in but I'm pretty impressed. I wonder if it gets used more in speaker setups than in headfi applications?

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #515 of 1,271
I know the titanis USB is serious business as far as getting a clean signal to the PC, but would I still benefit from a DDC running an extremely power hungry gpu and cpu with many fans in the PC? Don't really want to build a separate system for music.
Not related to Holo but I never had any problems with noisy USB. DDCs have other benefits besides decrapifying USB. You can get reclocking, better connectivity etc. Let your ears and connectivity requirements decide whether it's worth it for you.

Jun 14, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #516 of 1,271
Not a lot of traffic here, I'm surprised. My May KTE is still burning in but I'm pretty impressed. I wonder if it gets used more in speaker setups than in headfi applications?
Do you turn on PLL. I find it slightly annoying when it takes few seconds for the "locking" when switching songs, so I turned it off.

Jun 14, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #517 of 1,271
Do you turn on PLL. I find it slightly annoying when it takes few seconds for the "locking" when switching songs, so I turned it off.
It’s on, but I don’t experience that issue. The May is connected via USB to the Roon Nucleus.

Jun 14, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #518 of 1,271
Ah yes for USB it does not do it. I use HDMI. I forgot most people would opt to use USB.

Makes sense as holo I think prefers USB.

My server/streamer works best with HDMI so that's what I personally chose. (My HDMI cable is also better than my USB cable)

Listening to some music right now as we speak before the dreaded work day starts.

Attachments

• 16552069564712544530009921885800.jpg
    16552069564712544530009921885800.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 14, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #519 of 1,271
Ah yes for USB it does not do it. I use HDMI. I forgot most people would opt to use USB.

Makes sense as holo I think prefers USB.

My server/streamer works best with HDMI so that's what I personally chose. (My HDMI cable is also better than my USB cable)

Listening to some music right now as we speak before the dreaded work day starts.
I turned PLL off, too. For the same reason you did!
I use SPDIF (RCA) and AES fed by 2 different sources.

Jun 15, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #522 of 1,271
I have been testing out May against Hugo2's DAC, on WA33 & Susvara. I'm using a M1 Macbook Pro, on Apple lossless and Spotify. I'm using Mac's Multi-Output Device to feed signal to both devices, and use the WA33 switch to instantly change input source. May is connected via XLR, and Hugo2 via RCA cables.

Overall the sounds are very, very similar. And:
1. I noticed in NOS mode, May is just a little bit smoother. On Hugo2, music is a little "jagged", but you def won't notice it if not in direct, instant change A/B test. That little bit of smoothness does wonders in some songs though - it's like the realness and emotion just come through more and pull you into the music more.
2. In OS mode, I can't really hear much difference. I probably need more extended testing.

Is this kind of subtle difference expected? Are there things I miss to bring more out of Holo May?

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.46.48 AM.png

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #523 of 1,271
I have been testing out May against Hugo2's DAC, on WA33 & Susvara. I'm using a M1 Macbook Pro, on Apple lossless and Spotify. I'm using Mac's Multi-Output Device to feed signal to both devices, and use the WA33 switch to instantly change input source. May is connected via XLR, and Hugo2 via RCA cables.

Overall the sounds are very, very similar. And:
1. I noticed in NOS mode, May is just a little bit smoother. On Hugo2, music is a little "jagged", but you def won't notice it if not in direct, instant change A/B test. That little bit of smoothness does wonders in some songs though - it's like the realness and emotion just come through more and pull you into the music more.
2. In OS mode, I can't really hear much difference. I probably need more extended testing.

Is this kind of subtle difference expected? Are there things I miss to bring more out of Holo May?
Out of interest, what are you using to generate the 352.8 file? Is this the mac upsampling?

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #525 of 1,271
Yep. The highest rate of Apple Music only goes up to 192k. I just chose the one level higher than that.
By and large my experience is that the better sound quality is to output a file at the native sampling rate of the file rather than letting the Mac upsample it. I also use a mac (although not in my audio system) and one of its failings is that it is often difficult to get it to output at the native sample rate because unless you use third party software the mac AudioMidi upsamples everything and not in a very sophisticated way.

Even better though is not to use a mac in the audio system, at least in my experience!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back