Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Jun 27, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #541 of 1,271
is anyone running tidal with mqa pass through selected?

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #542 of 1,271
is anyone running tidal with mqa pass through selected?
The May won't work with MQA. But Tidal should unfold it at the software level, but you won't get the fullest resolution.

MQA isn't that special when I compared albums from Tidal MQA to Qobuz hi-res lossless. What I typically found was that MQA had better space around instruments but those instruments were thinner, while regular lossless generally sounded better.

I would invest in something like HQPlayer which can give you more space around instruments and add weight to the instruments.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #543 of 1,271
Dac question, from what I can tell it automatically detects bit rate of source like usb to MacBook. Mine says 48k. No way to toggle option on May correct?
Since you're running a Mac, the Mac sets the sampling rate. For non-audiophile software, you can set the sample rate via the "Audio Midi Setup" app but if you use an app like Tidal, and set exclusive mode to on, it will automatically set the sample rate for the song you play back. Qobuz can automatically set the sample rate for you without intervention, but you can also turn on exclusive mode for a bit more fidelity. Apple Music and Spotify don't offer an exclusive mode on macOS. In the case of Apple Music, I change the sample rate by hand, and then set it back.

On my Mac, I leave Audio Midi Setup at 44.1 kHz since YouTube is 44.1 kHz and a majority of sounds don't need more data. Also running high sample rates adds a bit of latency to the sound, so make sure you check it after using an app that can auto change it, since it leaves at the rate the last song was playing.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #544 of 1,271
The May (Spring 3) USB card has a default operating mode, which kicks in as soon as the card accomplishes the hand-shake with a USB host (source), i.e as soon as the USB card is powered up via Vbus coming from the source. With old USB modules, that frequency is 48Khz; with new USB modules, that frequency is 44.1kHz.

Once a particular application is started (JRiver or HQPLayer), the application driver will either:
- with JRiver: wait until the music is playing, to set the mode of operation (that is set in the JRiver settings)
- with HQPlayer: the driver will immediately set the USB mode (PCM/DSD/bit-depth/ sampling)

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #545 of 1,271
How do you people solve the problem of no volume control in May? If I use 3Vrms in Qutest, it's almost impossible to use Phonitor e with sensitive headphones as even small movements in volume knob manifest in multi-db jumps in volume. Something like 0.5Vrms would be optimal. I have tried Rothwell in-line attenuators, but they seem to destroy microdetails and make things sound dull. It may have something to do with the fact that they were optimized for quite high input impedances (>=50kohm) and Phonitor e is 10kohm 🤷‍♀️ With for example Topping A90 the situation was even worse.

It's very unfortunate, but I feel like the lack of volume control may make May a no go for me.

Jul 15, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #546 of 1,271
How do you people solve the problem of no volume control in May? If I use 3Vrms in Qutest, it's almost impossible to use Phonitor e with sensitive headphones as even small movements in volume knob manifest in multi-db jumps in volume. Something like 0.5Vrms would be optimal. I have tried Rothwell in-line attenuators, but they seem to destroy microdetails and make things sound dull. It may have something to do with the fact that they were optimized for quite high input impedances (>=50kohm) and Phonitor e is 10kohm 🤷‍♀️ With for example Topping A90 the situation was even worse.

It's very unfortunate, but I feel like the lack of volume control may make May a no go for me.
I am using the pre-gain control on my Niimbus to keep a good range available. I do recall that when I switched from my previous DAC running unbalanced, to running the May balanced through XLR, I had to go from no pre-gain to -12db pre-gain to run at more or less the same volume levels at the knob, and I still don't have to go past noon (though I don't listen loud).

If you are running balanced, you could try switching to unbalanced. I haven't tried myself, but I have heard there isn't much difference in quality between the outputs - but output volume is cut in half.

Jul 15, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #547 of 1,271
I am using the pre-gain control on my Niimbus to keep a good range available. I do recall that when I switched from my previous DAC running unbalanced, to running the May balanced through XLR, I had to go from no pre-gain to -12db pre-gain to run at more or less the same volume levels at the knob, and I still don't have to go past noon (though I don't listen loud).

If you are running balanced, you could try switching to unbalanced. I haven't tried myself, but I have heard there isn't much difference in quality between the outputs - but output volume is cut in half.
Unfortunately I'm already running unbalanced and -10db in Phonitor. Variable output in DAC would be very nice to have. Not sure how much that complicates the DAC side of things though...

Btw will the upcoming Holo Bliss have DAC+amp or will it be just an amp? Holo May + Holo HP Amp in one unit that has output impedance of 0.01ohm and switchable output gain would be a dream come true.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #548 of 1,271
Unfortunately I'm already running unbalanced and -10db in Phonitor.

You could change the resistor values in Phonitor, to achieve whatever gain you need. That -10dB switch can become a -20dB switch. That would be the easiest thing to do. You could even approach SPL Audio to do that for you. Any audio repair shop could also do it.

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #549 of 1,271
You could change the resistor values in Phonitor, to achieve whatever gain you need. That -10dB switch can become a -20dB switch. That would be the easiest thing to do. You could even approach SPL Audio to do that for you. Any audio repair shop could also do it.
Well this is interesting, thanks for the tip!

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #552 of 1,271
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #553 of 1,271
Hi Everyone,

What streamers are you using with your Holo May, especially if you are using the streamer with the May with its PLL turned off?

And how is it working out for you?

Metrum Ambre is working nice with May.

Jul 28, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #555 of 1,271
https://www.pi2design.com/mercury-streamer.html

I am getting a 2nd one for my 2nd setup. Need I say more?! :wink:

How does that streamer compare to other options you've tried? I use a Metrum Ambre in my main system, and a Pi3 with VitOS in my headphone system. I love the AES connection on my Ambre (I don't oversample anything), so a transport with AES out that doesn't cost £1000 is an interesting proposition. What power supply are you using with it?

I see that are sold out...making more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back