Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #511 of 777
Working on it. Attached is the setup I configured, Cyan 2 and R26 both going into the Holo Bliss. What I do is I start playing on the Cyan, wait 5 seconds and then start playing on the R26, since the Bliss can switch between XLR inputs, I can instantly hear a 5 second section on the R26 that I just heard on the Cyan when I switch. Couldn't get any more A/B than that.

And to be completely honest? So far I haven't been able to discern a single damn difference between the two... That was NOS PCM straight from Roon over USB. Only thing I "added" was -3dB headroom for both. This was listening with Susvara, I want to try listening with my X9000 as well and also mess with DSD256.

Also just fyi I had an odd situation last night where HQPlayer/Cyan 2 got stuck in PCM. I would switch to DSD and it would just go back to PCM. Closing and reopening HQPlayer didn't fix it, unplugging and replugging USB on the Cyan didn't fix it, I needed to fully power off the Cyan and then it was fixed.
First of all you’re the man! That would be my exact same setup. And your approach would be my approach. You’ve just settled my burning desire to spend more money. I think I’ll do a fuse upgrade on the Bliss instead of worrying myself on the DAC for now. Thanks again!

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #512 of 777
Another really helpful post, thanks so much. I agree that there's a bit of a quality/price imbalance between the amps and DACs I'm looking at. It's tricky because I move around and transport my system somewhat frequently so I want amps and DACs that are solid state with relatively small footprints and that synergizes well with ZMF. It seems there's not a whole lot above the iHA-6, Homage, Pietus Max, and V202/V222 that fits these requirements until you get up to the DSHA-3FN, and I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable spending that much on an amp. I've heard that the Pietus scales well and seems like it's probably the best value pick of the slightly "tubey" small SS amps that tick all the boxes for me, but yeah it's really hard to know if it would be good enough to benefit from going to the Cyan 2 or Qutest from the dac1421. Also admittedly one reason I'm looking at the Cyan 2 and Qutest is that I like their aesthetics more than the Soekris and the Cyan 2 would stack nicely under the Pietus whereas the Soekris isn't as long as the Pietus but is deeper so it's not as ideal. And of course Qutest is tiny which is part of the appeal
The Cayin iHA-8 and iDAC-8 are both releasing within the next few weeks, if that helps any.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #513 of 777
Also just fyi I had an odd situation last night where HQPlayer/Cyan 2 got stuck in PCM. I would switch to DSD and it would just go back to PCM. Closing and reopening HQPlayer didn't fix it, unplugging and replugging USB on the Cyan didn't fix it, I needed to fully power off the Cyan and then it was fixed.
I'm having this issue again and can't seem to get it to go away this time... Keeps playing in PCM no matter what I do.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #514 of 777
Working on it. Attached is the setup I configured, Cyan 2 and R26 both going into the Holo Bliss. What I do is I start playing on the Cyan, wait 5 seconds and then start playing on the R26, since the Bliss can switch between XLR inputs, I can instantly hear a 5 second section on the R26 that I just heard on the Cyan when I switch. Couldn't get any more A/B than that.

And to be completely honest? So far I haven't been able to discern a single damn difference between the two... That was NOS PCM straight from Roon over USB. Only thing I "added" was -3dB headroom for both. This was listening with Susvara, I want to try listening with my X9000 as well and also mess with DSD256.

I have had the issue of HQ Player PCM playback only on Win 11 after a Windows update, had to reinstall the USB Audio driver, fixed the issue. This occured with a different DAC so of course YMMV.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #516 of 777
I'm having this issue again and can't seem to get it to go away this time... Keeps playing in PCM no matter what I do.
I had this issue of PCM output instead of DSD occasionally when using HQP from Roon (it got resolved after I closed Roon client, re-started HQP desktop), when using HQP desktop/client to play songs - seems to fine, DSD output all the time.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #518 of 777
I switched from Gustard R26 to Cyan 2, it's hard to the tell the difference as the R26 is already sold. But from what I recall the Cyan2 maybe a bit warmer, but I used the R26 mainly in the OS mode and as people mentioned already the audio memory is very short so I wouldn't rely on it.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #519 of 777
I would add that white LEDs are too bright for me in Cyan2, as I sleep in the room where the DAC sits I had to cover the LEDs with something in the night. But that's a very minor complain with regard to the great sound of the dac.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #520 of 777
I would add that white LEDs are too bright for me in Cyan2, as I sleep in the room where the DAC sits I had to cover the LEDs with something in the night. But that a very minor complain with regard to the great sound of the dac.
I'm using black insulating tape on sample rates indicators. And paper tape (so that leds are very dim) on power/source leds so I can see whenever the unit is on or not.

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #521 of 777
I would add that white LEDs are too bright for me in Cyan2, as I sleep in the room where the DAC sits I had to cover the LEDs with something in the night. But that's a very minor complain with regard to the great sound of the dac.
The old rag over the DAC trick it's timeless.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #525 of 777
I have a few questions, 1. the cyan 2 will natively convert DSD to analog, without converting to PCM first?
2. As far as I know the R2R is for PCM, not DSD. So if my focus is to use HQplayer an convert all PCM to DSD, I should not care about R2R, right?
3. Then how is the quality of the cyan 2 on processin the DSD signals??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back