Holepunch Problems!
Apr 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jacc1234

New Head-Fier
I have finished work on a few cmoybb's and am having problems with the casework. I will be using Altoids tins and purchased a cheap one handed hole punch for job. I have tried and tried but cant even get the damn thing to dent the metal. There is no way I can see it punching a hole in the case ever! Am I doing something wrong or is it a specific type?

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 20
Drill.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 20
Is it one of those punches where you have to drill a hole, thread the punch through tha hole, then punch a larger hole with the punch? Some of them work that way.

As Fallen Angel said, drilling is another great way to make a hole. For a tin, I'd be sure to pu a piece of scrap wood behind the pont where you drill. Otherwise, the drillbit's exit can mess up the tin. Pick up a small round file to clean up the hole, too. Files are cheap and will make your work look nice.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're done!

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 20
If you plan on doing more casework in the future, I suggest getting a stepped drill bit. I also had problems using the hole punch. The stepped drill bit made things much easier.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 20
I tried the hole punch trick. It was pretty hard but it works. Theres no real tricks to it, either try a new, sharper hole puncher or find someone stronger than you.

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hand reamer:

31NbzeAOBNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

That name, the picture, and my occasional clumsiness make this a really disturbing suggestion.
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacc1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have finished work on a few cmoybb's and am having problems with the casework. I will be using Altoids tins and purchased a cheap one handed hole punch for job. I have tried and tried but cant even get the damn thing to dent the metal. There is no way I can see it punching a hole in the case ever! Am I doing something wrong or is it a specific type?

I just use a common paper punch that looks like this-
18514570.jpg

It takes some determination, but it does work.

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 20
Do you have access to a Dremel? It's the only tool I use that can easily and cleanly cut holes without bending the soft tin.

Start the hole slowly with something like a cutting bit #118 then enlarge the holes with #117 or something similar.

hispctr1.jpg

zk

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use a common paper punch that looks like this-
18514570.jpg

It takes some determination, but it does work.

I tried one of those and the punch bent all up.

I second the dremel.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 20
Stepped drill bit, or the reamer as linuxworks suggested.
Really can't go wrong with a stepped bit, I bought a set of 3 for $25AUD and they are absolutely invaluable for casework with both sheet metal and plastics.

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 20
If your just going to make just one $20 cmoy just borrow your neighbours or stick with the hole punch. If you are careful, you can actually hide the bend or mess ups with the outside washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back