HM-901
Sep 12, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,131 of 3,522
Not good enough for HE-400 but sounds great with HE-6  
confused.gif

That's either because we hear things differently or that the HE-6 simply is a better headphone - or that it has better synergy. Having had the HE-400 (but no longer), I would say (to me) it's more likely to be the SQ of the HE-6 that makes it pull ahead and then the sound signature secondly. I don't find HE-6 bass-weak with the Balanced amp, however, this is only first impressions of course. But surely - it won't play LOUD with HE-6.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #2,132 of 3,522
how do you guys rate the LOD of 901? I understand that most of you prefer to swap amp card to achieve different SS, but I am just bit paranoid to receive a faulty card... so I may pursue different amp iso amp card... just for fun, not necessity...

thanks.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #2,133 of 3,522
  That's either because we hear things differently or that the HE-6 simply is a better headphone - or that it has better synergy. Having had the HE-400 (but no longer), I would say (to me) it's more likely to be the SQ of the HE-6 that makes it pull ahead and then the sound signature secondly. I don't find HE-6 bass-weak with the Balanced amp, however, this is only first impressions of course. But surely - it won't play LOUD with HE-6.

I nearly ordered the hifiman TRRS cable for my HE-6 but decided not to bother at the last minute,
What desktop amp are you using to power your HE-6?

I tried the LOD stright into my TEAC amp, which I used with my HE-6 and thought it sounded superb, slightly cleaner that the internal DAC of the 501DA.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #2,134 of 3,522

I nearly ordered the hifiman TRRS cable for my HE-6 but decided not to bother at the last minute,
What desktop amp are you using to power your HE-6?

I tried the LOD stright into my TEAC amp, which I used with my HE-6 and thought it sounded superb, slightly cleaner that the internal DAC of the 501DA.

I use Burson Soloist and Audio-gd Master 6 (7W in 50 Ohm).

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #2,136 of 3,522
I have a few firmware issues with the player -

Won't play AAC/ M4A files 

No sound - but a reset sorts this 

No artwork unless its an MP3

Why did they release this with so many bugs ??

More testing please HIFIMAN 

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2,137 of 3,522
  I have a few firmware issues with the player -

Won't play AAC/ M4A files 

No sound - but a reset sorts this 

No artwork unless its an MP3

Why did they release this with so many bugs ??

More testing please HIFIMAN 

We agree that there are several bugs that needs to be fixed.

However, so far I think the sound is sublime - no less, and this is the "reason d'être" for this DAP. Haven't tested it against my HM-801 yet though. And I really like the form factor: size and weight.

I have encountered some bugs, that are firmware related, but I expect these to be fixed sooner or later. One issue, which most likely isn't firmware-related (and this disturbs me), is that channels are reversed - both in single ended mode and line out, but not with balanced output. If it  was reversed from all output options I wouldn't be so surprised or worried.

Software bugs that I have encountered (kernel 2.9 and UI 1.080):

Tagging:
1. Various artists - albums are listed as one album per artist(!) This really should be fixed ASAP.
2. Not all album art is shown (with jpg-file in album folder)
3. When selecting Genre all tracks in that genre is shown in one long list with all track no. 1 first, then all track no. 2 etc. When selecting Genre, we should be able so see a list of albums in that genre where we then can select which album to play. 

Firmware:
1. In the beginning of tracks the first sound is often missing / cut off (when selecting a new song).
2. When skipping to next track, the last few seconds of the currently playing track is played and then the new track is played just fine. This is annoying, but not a huge problem, just odd.

-
And then a whish: I'd like to see more of the album art. Now it's cut off in top and bottom and a big grey "shadow" covers the upper half of it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #2,139 of 3,522
Most people agree it sounds superb but the sluggish UI and problems with tagging sadly take some of the enjoyment away.
Navigating 128gb of music is very cumbersome. This DAP really need some kind of search function and a more fluid/smoother list scrolling.
Compilations appearing as different albums is really bugging me and I would also wish to have artist displayed when navigating through albums.
Many people complain about the  buggy DX50 but I found it a joy to use compared to  the HM-901, which doesn't feel right.
I really hope Hifiman is hard at work to improve the user experience.
Personally I would completely redesign the UI as there is nothing I like about it, but yes, you get incredibly  close to the sound of a very good desktop setup in a very small package.
Come on Hifiman, get working! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #2,140 of 3,522
I Agree with all your comments . The 901 is amazing when it comes to packing out the sound but the UI is crap and not well thought out.

I also own a Fiio X3 with is fault less and only £159 . Which I use on my travels - if that had dual Dacs it would give the 901 a run for its money.

Come on HIFIMAN  -

Less have a bug free device 

Less have decent Firmware

Less have an inspiration UI 

If you need some guidance buy and play  with the AK120 it gives you a run for your money !!!!! 

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,141 of 3,522
The track details overlaid on top the album artworks, when they are displayed, is also lame. Same with the pointless animations that try hard but fail to look cool. No need to reinvent the wheel, just stick with what works and is functional.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2,144 of 3,522
We agree that there are several bugs that needs to be fixed.

However, so far I think the sound is sublime - no less, and this is the "reason d'être" for this DAP. Haven't tested it against my HM-801 yet though. And I really like the form factor: size and weight.

I have encountered some bugs, that are firmware related, but I expect these to be fixed sooner or later. One issue, which most likely isn't firmware-related (and this disturbs me), is that channels are reversed - both in single ended mode and line out, but not with balanced output. If it  was reversed from all output options I wouldn't be so surprised or worried.

Software bugs that I have encountered (kernel 2.9 and UI 1.080):

Tagging:
1. Various artists - albums are listed as one album per artist(!) This really should be fixed ASAP.
2. Not all album art is shown (with jpg-file in album folder)
3. When selecting Genre all tracks in that genre is shown in one long list with all track no. 1 first, then all track no. 2 etc. When selecting Genre, we should be able so see a list of albums in that genre where we then can select which album to play. 

Firmware:
1. In the beginning of tracks the first sound is often missing / cut off (when selecting a new song).
2. When skipping to next track, the last few seconds of the currently playing track is played and then the new track is played just fine. This is annoying, but not a huge problem, just odd.

-
And then a whish: I'd like to see more of the album art. Now it's cut off in top and bottom and a big grey "shadow" covers the upper half of it.

I have found that if the album art "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" is less than 230x230 pixels in size it displays as full size square as opposed to a cropped rectangle!

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2,145 of 3,522
Yet another firmware issue!

Now that I have a full 128GB of music on my card, I can't llay any songs in all songs mode, When I click a track it just stalls every time. If i go from artists mode while a track is playing to all songs and try to play a track the previous song just keeps playing and the screen stalls on the stuck selected track.

I think i'll re-install the firmware or delete every file in my albums that is not a track or cover art.

HM-901.... Gorgeous sound!
Currently el-crappo UI (must be honest).
Really hoping all these irritating bugs are ironed out soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back