HM-901
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #2,581 of 3,522
Thanks, Kiats

These are actually my first pair of ciem...and hopefully not the last..LoL

The sound isolation alone pays off already.. Lower vol and hopefully healthier hearing..

Indeed! And of course it is a bonus that it one of the clearest and most accurate iems around. :)

It won't be your last. I started with the ACS T1 and then the C435. Next was the 333 and I am now awaiting my MH334. So, I really don't think this will your last. :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #2,582 of 3,522
Just need any opinion. Does anyone try HM901 with LCD-2 or T1 or HE500? Can this player drive these phones?

I'm just want a simple set only player and phone, no amp, neither portable nor dektop

Thanks

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2,583 of 3,522
  Just need any opinion. Does anyone try HM901 with LCD-2 or T1 or HE500? Can this player drive these phones?

I'm just want a simple set only player and phone, no amp, neither portable nor dektop

Thanks

No problems with the balanced card for either :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,584 of 3,522
Hi everybody.

I am a new user so this is my first post. I am learning, so please bear with me if some of my questions seem stupid!

I have just bought the Hifiman 901 and am enjoying it very much.

I am looking to buy the LCD-3's at some point in the near future and have been trying to do some research so I can buy the best possible (transportable) rig - Hifiman 901 (am currently rocking the standard amp but will most probably upgrade to the balanced amp when I upgrade my headphones) + portable amp (obviously one able to edequetly power the LCD-3's on the go) + LCD-3's.

At this point I would also be REALLY grateful if someone could clear up something that is puzzling me - Can the Hifimans stock LOD be used to connect to an external portable amp (much like rigs that use the iPods LOD to usb) Also, I want a fully balanced set up - Would/could it ever be all balanced using the Hifimans stock LOD in this configuration?

I have trawled the internet trying to find a rig setup similar to this but have found nothing so if someone could help clear this up for me that would be amazing. The most I have seen is people running the LCD's straight into the Hifiman, but to my knowledge, the Hifiman even with the balanced card, would not be able to power the LDC's on its own?

I have seen other users on the forums post similar questions to mine but just as I think I have found some info, I scroll down to find no one has attempted to answer the question... So please give me some advice!!!

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #2,585 of 3,522

Thanks

I have driven the HE-500 with the balanced card with no problem. Same goes for the LCD 2 and T1 which I have run off the minibox amp card.

Hope that helps.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #2,586 of 3,522
  Hi everybody.

I am a new user so this is my first post. I am learning, so please bear with me if some of my questions seem stupid!

I have just bought the Hifiman 901 and am enjoying it very much.

I am looking to buy the LCD-3's at some point in the near future and have been trying to do some research so I can buy the best possible (transportable) rig - Hifiman 901 (am currently rocking the standard amp but will most probably upgrade to the balanced amp when I upgrade my headphones) + portable amp (obviously one able to edequetly power the LCD-3's on the go) + LCD-3's.

At this point I would also be REALLY grateful if someone could clear up something that is puzzling me - Can the Hifimans stock LOD be used to connect to an external portable amp (much like rigs that use the iPods LOD to usb) Also, I want a fully balanced set up - Would/could it ever be all balanced using the Hifimans stock LOD in this configuration?

I have trawled the internet trying to find a rig setup similar to this but have found nothing so if someone could help clear this up for me that would be amazing. The most I have seen is people running the LCD's straight into the Hifiman, but to my knowledge, the Hifiman even with the balanced card, would not be able to power the LDC's on its own?

I have seen other users on the forums post similar questions to mine but just as I think I have found some info, I scroll down to find no one has attempted to answer the question... So please give me some advice!!!

Thanks in advance.

Rich.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet!

The stock LOD can be plugged into an external portable amp. Though it wont be full balanced because the LOD is an unbalanced Line Out. You'll need to mod it probably but I've never seen a balanced LOD for hifiman.

Honestly you don't need a portable amp for the 901, it has enough juice to power any headphone, especially with the balanced card.

I suggest getting TRRS terminations for the LCD3 from your favorite cable maker and using a balanced card with the 901 :)

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #2,587 of 3,522
VisceriousZERO said it very well.

Buy the balanced card and get a TRRS termination for your headphones. Deal done ...
It sounds terrific with my HE-6.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,588 of 3,522
I have driven the HE-500 with the balanced card with no problem. Same goes for the LCD 2 and T1 which I have run off the minibox amp card.

Hope that helps.

No problems with the balanced card for either :)

Thanks for information. I will try it soon

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #2,589 of 3,522
Thanks for information. I will try it soon

And, if you are thinking about the new AKG K812, I am happy to saying I have been running it with no issue on the standard, balanced and minibox cards. Just in case you wondered. :)

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #2,590 of 3,522
I just got a 4-pin XLR female to HiFiMAN TRRS silver adapter cable from Moon Audio. Can't wait to try the LCD-X & LCD-2 on the balanced card. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,591 of 3,522
I have got my HM901 replaced. I asked for the replacement because of a high-than-standard noise and some problems with the attenuator. 
The new piece plays well, the noise is much lower. But a strange overnight battery discharge occurrs. Today it was the second time I switched the unit off and the next morning the battery was completely drained. I use the latest 1.084 firmware from Hifiman website.
I would very appreciate any opinion or similar experience/solution.

Thank you in advance.

brasilsamba

PS. the sound is perfect (dff, JH13pro, silver dragon moon audio balanced cable)

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #2,592 of 3,522
  I have got my HM901 replaced. I asked for the replacement because of a high-than-standard noise and some problems with the attenuator. 
The new piece plays well, the noise is much lower. But a strange overnight battery discharge occurrs. Today it was the second time I switched the unit off and the next morning the battery was completely drained. I use the latest 1.084 firmware from Hifiman website.
I would very appreciate any opinion or similar experience/solution.

Thank you in advance.

brasilsamba

PS. the sound is perfect (dff, JH13pro, silver dragon moon audio balanced cable)

Ask for a new battery. I am sure they will oblige. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #2,594 of 3,522
I used the HM901 balance to C435 today in office. It seems there is a slight hiss for sensitive iem. The hiss didnt bother me until I realized the 24/88 flac files create this regular "tic... tic.... tic.." noise in the background... pretty similar to what I experienced when playing 24/192 flac files on ibasso DX50 and DB2/PB2.
I had the X5 with me so I put the card in X5 to try again, the "tic tic tic" noise was gone however, there was still some hiss but nothing major... the FLAC were converted from DFF files...
I really think balance card is not a good match for sensitive CIEM...but u all know that already LoL

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #2,595 of 3,522
  @jamato8
You think they delivered it with a dead battery? Well, I will try my second one tomorrow (I bought a replacement battery together with the charging frame).
Thanks for the tip.
~bs

I have no way of knowing for sure but if it isn't holding a charge it would seem possible. I would make sure the unit is truly off after charging it again. Then see what the results are. And since you have a spare battery, I guess you will figure out what is going on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back