HM-901
Dec 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #226 of 3,522
Quote:

As of today standard SD cards can be had in a 128GB size. MicroSD's up to 64GB. One can assume that down the road their capacities will go up....to a point maybe 1-2T, but the price goes up exponentially as they get bigger. Other than that they both work the same, the Standard is just 4X bigger.

Full size goes to 256. On Amazon right now, I can get a 64GB SD for $40, or a micro for $60+. Or 128GB full size SD for $95 from Kingston. So you get more for less, I say again, with full size SD. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #227 of 3,522
Quote:
I just saw what the problem with the price translation was. It should have been Japanese Yen instead of Chinese Yuan. I just put what was on the site into the translator.  And $1200 is still a bit steep.

so that'll be £1200 if it reaches the UK - that's $1900

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #229 of 3,522
Quote:

will that make it the most expensive dap? how much is the tera player?

I'm going to take the optimistic view that we may well see that $999 price tag before it's all said and done (even if it is just temporary).

I think I'd go with the DX100 before the Tera Player. I'm sure the Tera Player is great,  but the UI and power section seem quite limited.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #231 of 3,522
Quote:

Full size goes to 256. On Amazon right now, I can get a 64GB SD for $40, or a micro for $60+. Or 128GB full size SD for $95 from Kingston. So you get more for less, I say again, with full size SD. 

Not really. Taking into consideration you'd pay $80.00 for 2 64 GB micro SD cards instead of 1 128 SD card you still save money with the micro SD cards ($15.00). As the micro SD card technology progresses the prices will come down even further. There will be 128 and 256 cards eventually and they will be expensive on release but will get a lot cheaper as time goes by. Also SD cards are a dying technology. I bet you in a few years it will be completely dead. That is the reason they created micro SD cards is to replace SD cards. It will happen sooner or later.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #233 of 3,522
Quote:
Not really. Taking into consideration you'd pay $80.00 for 2 64 GB micro SD cards instead of 1 128 SD card you still save money with the micro SD cards ($15.00). As the micro SD card technology progresses the prices will come down even further. There will be 128 and 256 cards eventually and they will be expensive on release but will get a lot cheaper as time goes by. Also SD cards are a dying technology. I bet you in a few years it will be completely dead. That is the reason they created micro SD cards is to replace SD cards. It will happen sooner or later.

Yes, prices go down in general, of course they do. But if you watch trends (and this makes sense) the full size is consistently cheaper and further along in capacity. We are talking about a slice today, but a year ago, full size was also larger capacity and cheaper. And you would actually pay $120 for 2 micro sd cards, because as I said, they're 60+ on Amazon. You would pay $80 for two 64GB full size SD cards.   

So yes, they are cheaper, and they are larger capacity. Period. There really isn't any way to argue otherwise. The argument for micro is size, not storage capacity or price. And since most hifi MP3 players are bricks, there is plenty of room for the full size cards. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #234 of 3,522
"To get an idea of just how serious a product the HM-901 is meant to be, understand that it will be a portable player based on not one but two ESS 32-bit [COLOR=FF0000]ES9018[/COLOR] Sabre DAC chips,"

...what?

Maybe to give you the impression that they have better dac than ibasso dx100 that uses the same dac chip but only has one

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #235 of 3,522
"To get an idea of just how serious a product the HM-901 is meant to be, understand that it will be a portable player based on not one but two ESS 32-bit [COLOR=FF0000]ES9018[/COLOR] Sabre DAC chips,"

...what?

Maybe to give you the impression that they have better dac than ibasso dx100 that uses the same dac chip but only has one

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #236 of 3,522

...what?

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #238 of 3,522

OK, so they simply want to tailgate on the DX100 success?, and revamp the entire Hifiman line sound concept, which has been that vintage electronics with 0x oversampling is superior to modern chips like the ES9018, without so much as an explanation as to why they've been selling 0x to us all this time and suddenly changed thier mind.

It's like Coca-Cola suddenly selling Sprite.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #239 of 3,522
Quote:

OK, so they simply want to tailgate on the DX100 success?, and revamp the entire Hifiman line sound concept, which has been that vintage electronics with 0x oversampling is superior to modern chips like the ES9018, without so much as an explanation as to why they've been selling 0x to us all this time and suddenly changed thier mind.

It's like Coca-Cola suddenly selling Sprite.

You do realize that Sprite is sold by Coke, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back