HM-801 New Amp Module Project
Jul 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #33 of 58
Since the hm801 is a DAP - so portable device, why should it have a 6.3 jack ? O.o

Im dreaming about Hm903 with Coaxial(mini-jack) and Analog(Jack) output, mini-jack HPO, smaller battery(smtg like in new ibasso tucan = 25.2V O.o, but the battery look to be much smaller than hm801s one, so it would be great), with steel or aluminium, black anodized case and with Roxbox as interface(well, im not good about systems, but Im sure you know what im talking about). Playing: FLAC and WAV only. No storage memory inside, only SDHC card slot. Non-swapable amp, onboard, something based on Pico Slim, but if possible, better than Pico Slim. And price of 800$ would be good, if all that would be included.
Ofcourse, I wouldnt change the chips, dual PCM1704U-K should stay.
But no USB-dac, nor Coax-Dac. Its sensless. It was supposed to be an audiophile dap, not multi-function combo. As you all know, multi-combo's in electronic stuff arent good at all.
And the size: similar to iPhone, but it could be twice as thick as iPhone, to get all those electronics inside.
And for 800$, it should include also an cover made of 2-3mm thick black calfskin stiched with white thick cotton strandes.
That would be much more elegant, portable, smaller, more high-end and worth the money.

And worldwide shipping EMS should be included in those 800$.

That would be great to feed Jh-3a(Coaxial), to feed high-end home systems(Coax->DAC), to feed other amps - tube/state/portable and it would be great for iems.

And the built-in amp should have gain of: low, mid, high, so everyone would be happy.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #34 of 58

Quote:
Since the hm801 is a DAP - so portable device, why should it have a 6.3 jack ? O.o

Im dreaming about Hm903 with Coaxial(mini-jack) and Analog(Jack) output, mini-jack HPO, smaller battery(smtg like in new ibasso tucan = 25.2V O.o, but the battery look to be much smaller than hm801s one, so it would be great), with steel or aluminium, black anodized case and with Roxbox as interface(well, im not good about systems, but Im sure you know what im talking about). Playing: FLAC and WAV only. No storage memory inside, only SDHC card slot. Non-swapable amp, onboard, something based on Pico Slim, but if possible, better than Pico Slim. And price of 800$ would be good, if all that would be included.
Ofcourse, I wouldnt change the chips, dual PCM1704U-K should stay.
But no USB-dac, nor Coax-Dac. Its sensless. It was supposed to be an audiophile dap, not multi-function combo. As you all know, multi-combo's in electronic stuff arent good at all.
And the size: similar to iPhone, but it could be twice as thick as iPhone, to get all those electronics inside.
And for 800$, it should include also an cover made of 2-3mm thick black calfskin stiched with white thick cotton strandes.
That would be much more elegant, portable, smaller, more high-end and worth the money.

And worldwide shipping EMS should be included in those 800$.

That would be great to feed Jh-3a(Coaxial), to feed high-end home systems(Coax->DAC), to feed other amps - tube/state/portable and it would be great for iems.

And the built-in amp should have gain of: low, mid, high, so everyone would be happy.

I would be very unhappy without USB (and I am probably not the only one).

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #35 of 58
You mean the usb-dac?
Tbh, for me, using pc/laptop as an source is unaudiophile... Sacd/cd/highstream player like logitech transporter/linn akurate ds is already audiophile, not pc/laptop.
And the purpose of making hm801 was, as it calls, audiophile dap. And, as you can read in reviews, the usb-dac and coax-dac are not bad, but those are <<<< to the performance of a dap part of this device.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #37 of 58
I concur that USB DAC is very convenient, even if USB is not the best audio interface.

I'm not sure we can say using pc/laptop as a source is unaudiophile.
Pc can be used as storage device. Most recording studio are now using a PC or Mac as a source for raw audio. Even for mixing with a vintage analog console...
Plug a good interface and DAC to a pc and it's a audiophile source...

Jul 10, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #38 of 58
I believe a future version that supports SDXC cards in a bigger sizes are more important.  The storage of SDXC cards can be up to 2TB (http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc/capabilities/) which should be able to feed the appetite of most head-fiers if not all.  

Once you can put all your PC audio files in a card, there are few points to use the USB DAC function.  An extra IC will likely degrade the SQ and increase the cost of the setup.  I would rather seeing Fang putting the money to a 4 X DAC chips instead (the 801 is currently 2 X DAC chips)

My 2 cents. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #40 of 58
Perfectly summarized!
  • Make it trhe best sounding DAP it can be
  • Improve the user interface
  • Put the best amp module
  • Improve battery life - if it cannot be done - then please provide an external battery charger for the second battery
  • Provide support for bigger cards - but for that to happen - the user interface has to be really slick ...

Cheers
Sunil.

Quote:
I believe a future version that supports SDXC cards in a bigger sizes are more important.  The storage of SDXC cards can be up to 2TB (http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc/capabilities/) which should be able to feed the appetite of most head-fiers if not all.  

Once you can put all your PC audio files in a card, there are few points to use the USB DAC function.  An extra IC will likely degrade the SQ and increase the cost of the setup.  I would rather seeing Fang putting the money to a 4 X DAC chips instead (the 801 is currently 2 X DAC chips)

My 2 cents. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #41 of 58

Quote:

• Make it trhe best sounding DAP it can be
  • Improve the user interface
  • Put the best amp module
  • Improve battery life - if it cannot be done - then please provide an external battery charger for the second battery
  • Provide support for bigger cards - but for that to happen - the user interface has to be really slick ...

This upgrade list sounds right to me.  Mine is pretty new, interface is kinda a pain to deal with but usable, internal amp in emergencies.  The battery life could be better but not that big of a deal, just charge it at night if i use it a lot.  Soundcard, yes can always use a bigger one, I carry around four with me.  The sound makes it all worth it though, i would buy it all over again.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #43 of 58
Is it a balanced amp?  What connectors will be used?  Thanks.

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #44 of 58
I believe Fang has decided to develop a balanced GanQi amp module with a TTRS connector, which should be available in sometime in the summer.  He has made an announcement in a separate thread.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #45 of 58
Thanks warp08.  

I saw that post as well and just want to make sure Fang is progressing in this direction as I'm about to buy a new HP wire and really want to make sure the connector is alright with the new amp module.  Otherwise buying a connector with TTRS connectors will render me nowhere because none of my amps may use this connector.

It would be great if Fang may update the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back