HM-801 New Amp Module Project
Jun 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 58
you, sir, are quite clever! 

Quote:

or may be could left out the module door? industrialize the new module to fit perfectly with out module door, like sliding N64 game cartridge into N64 console etc and you could even make the module larger with pop out end ?

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 58
Why not both. I think more people will be able to appreciate a balanced module since you could just re-terminate your existing IEM collection.  The six channel design for JHA in-ears is also interesting, but only for people who can afford $1300 IEMs.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #20 of 58
1. A new product that takes SDXC card -> built-in DAC -> active XO -> 6 channel amp with lineout would be my ideal DAP.  This requires working with JHA .  Also the limited storage problem can be solved as some head-fiers complain.

2. Not sure if this can be done:Making the amp module a digital out that can feed to the JH3A.   I don't fancy the idea of the AlgoRhythm Solo for two reason:
i) It's a 3-piece solution, i-deivice + Solo + JH3A
ii) i-device does not support Hirez files.
This suggestion removes both of these two shortcomings.  Also it will be an added value to the 801 owners.

3. I prefer the protector even though it's more difficult to make it compatible with the current design.  Given that it's SQ seems better than the other portable amps according to the feedback I read so far.

4. Pico slim because of its impeccable balance even at extremely low volume.

Preference in order.  I don't fancy the idea of the Six Channels design for JH Audio because it seems to me that JH Audio needs to tune the IEM for the active cross over anyway.  Then this would be a join force between JHA and Head-Direct.  If so, I rather seeing a new product coming out.  My 2 cents.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 58
Another module would be nice to change the flavor of the sound or to add new features. I am very pleased with the amp module on my loaner HM-801, here is a picture of it (Fang if I should not post this please let me know so I can remove it).

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 58
+1 on the  6-channel design would be fantastic for the all the JH users.  I don't know if that market is big enough to warranty the project (I am a JH-3A/J16P preorder customer currently).

It would be stellar if you allowed my future J16P tuned for the JH-3A to just work out of the 801.

[RANT]
Not to burst folks bubble, but a balanced design is a complete waste in my opinion.  IEMs don't need balanced output at all (in fact if someone can give me *technical* argument on why balanced would enhance the sound, I'm all ears, literally).  Balanced ground maybe but having double the power output for IEMs is a complete waste and will soak up EVEN MORE battery power.  Please don't do this.  I don't mean to be harsh but there is an overwhelming belief that *balanced* is better when in 99% of headphone applications it does not.
[/RANT]

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 58
6 Channel design will be even more wasteful on power (at least 3 separate amps), despite the added benefits of active cross over design.  Unless there is a large bump out, or serious modifications, there is no way the current JH-3A will fit inside the GanQi Amp Bay.

Again, the biggest problem with either balanced or 6 channel is the requirement for a different headphone connector.  It won't be a simple drop in module.

The best bet would be a more simple single ended design.  Like a popular custom amp manufacturer like HeadAmp and Ray Samuels Audio here.  If you really want it to happen, give them a call, email, shout out, and ask them to design one for the HM-801.  The more people ask, the more likely they'll consider it since if there's not enough interest, why would they want to spend the time?

-Ed

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #25 of 58
I would love to listen to the OPA627 module! What to do? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #26 of 58

Quote:
6 Channel design will be even more wasteful on power (at least 3 separate amps), despite the added benefits of active cross over design.  Unless there is a large bump out, or serious modifications, there is no way the current JH-3A will fit inside the GanQi Amp Bay.

Again, the biggest problem with either balanced or 6 channel is the requirement for a different headphone connector.  It won't be a simple drop in module.

The best bet would be a more simple single ended design.  Like a popular custom amp manufacturer like HeadAmp and Ray Samuels Audio here.  If you really want it to happen, give them a call, email, shout out, and ask them to design one for the HM-801.  The more people ask, the more likely they'll consider it since if there's not enough interest, why would they want to spend the time?

-Ed

Ed, I agree with you (mostly).  I just think the balanced design is a complete waste of time with no real benefit other than wasted power (at least with an active crossover, you HAVE made forward progress).  Yes the connector issue is a big one and probably makes it a non-starter.

I agree, getting some popular HeadFi *house sounds* seems like the right direction.

I think if I were Fang I would think about:

- Single ended designed by , you gave some good examples
- Tube based or tube-like fuzzy design (give the jazz guys what they *really* want!)
- I DO think some kind of cross over (even passive) is a good idea

EDIT: Any chance there is a way to improve the USB performance?  Its not AS good as I think it could be compared to other USB DACs.

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #27 of 58

Quote:
Ed, I agree with you (mostly).  I just think the balanced design is a complete waste of time with no real benefit other than wasted power (at least with an active crossover, you HAVE made forward progress).  Yes the connector issue is a big one and probably makes it a non-starter.

I agree, getting some popular HeadFi *house sounds* seems like the right direction.

I think if I were Fang I would think about:

- Single ended designed by , you gave some good examples
- Tube based or tube-like fuzzy design (give the jazz guys what they *really* want!)
- I DO think some kind of cross over (even passive) is a good idea

EDIT: Any chance there is a way to improve the USB performance?  Its not AS good as I think it could be compared to other USB DACs.

Even those tiny soldered tubes likely won't fit,  Smallest I've seen were in the TTVJ Millet Hybrid portable, and those tubes are no longer made.

Passive crossover with use with IEM's is redundant, there are already passive crossovers in the ear pieces themselves. 

I looked into modding the USB input.  It's possible, but not without voiding the warranty and permanently modding it.  The PCM1704 DAC chips in the HM-801 do not have a direct I2S interface in the chips themselves, so you'd have to make one and bypass the existing input chip.

-Ed

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #28 of 58

Quote:

Even those tiny soldered tubes likely won't fit,  Smallest I've seen were in the TTVJ Millet Hybrid portable, and those tubes are no longer made.

Passive crossover with use with IEM's is redundant, there are already passive crossovers in the ear pieces themselves. 

I looked into modding the USB input.  It's possible, but not without voiding the warranty and permanently modding it.  The PCM1704 DAC chips in the HM-801 do not have a direct I2S interface in the chips themselves, so you'd have to make one and bypass the existing input chip.

-Ed

Right but the HM-801 is also used with regular headphones right?  I guess the set of folks who use regular headphones with it is probably pretty small.

Forget the tube thing...those millet hybrids was exactly what I was thinking.  Oh well.

No I2S, well that blows...

Jul 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #29 of 58
Not a new module, just a new player.

dual pcm1704u-k -  so no change
analog(mini-jack) and coaxial-mini output's
thinner but still strong battery but with 10hours of power
amp - onboard - no swapping - so no gangibay etc - the amp module on the base of pico slim - but singlended
size - similar to iPhone 3g/iPod Classic/iPod Video/Sflo2's size but higher or similar
no onboard memory - only the sdhc
no usb-dac or coax-dac
the casing - magnesium with brushed effect - like on the casing of protector
the cost - around 600$

That would be much better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back