HLLY DMK-IV (DAC, headphone amp, pre amp)
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #62 of 106
Amp is in and running. so far so good, will burn in for a week.

Packaging was decent.

build quality looks to be very nice. came with power and USB cable, headphone cord mini to 1/4 adapter and a remote (which is handy)

From listening for the lil bit I have (from PC as source) it has some good base, decent sound stage. how it will end up will be better told after a decent break in.

(mine came in saying 230V also)

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #65 of 106
this really is a slick little amp. found that if you push in on the volume button you can adjust the amp just like you can with the remote. good to know as my remotes tend to go into a black hole at times never to be seen again.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #66 of 106
Popped into my music room this morning for a quick listen. Can already tell the 24+ hour burn-in has made the amp have slightly better detail. Was listening with the K501's.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #67 of 106
Hey spartan123,

I was wondering if you could give this unit a whirl with your DT880's and let me know how it goes. Perhaps in comparison the the Audio-GD Compass?

I'm trying to hunt down a 220V compass, to go with my new DT990's, but then I also saw this unit on ebay and having been checking this thread everyday trying to get a scope on how good/bad this unit is.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #68 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by chunky18887 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey spartan123,

I was wondering if you could give this unit a whirl with your DT880's and let me know how it goes. Perhaps in comparison the the Audio-GD Compass?

I second that. I am mostly interested to see how it behaves with the 880s.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #70 of 106
chunky18887, I will say so far I am VERY pleased with the amp. The auto feature is fantastic, senses what the source is etc. Very nice base response so far... very deep. nice detail with a slightly forward sound stage. but I think that might widen up with more burnin. Highs are there and not overly sharp and fatiguing.

If this amp had a high / low switch like the Compass, I think I might choose it over the Compass as my only DAC. I let HLLY know that they need to add a HI / LOW feature. IMHO that is the only thing the amp is missing.

I do like that the Compass is tunable.... but honestly I have so many tube amps that I don't know if I want to get into a lot of sound tweaking on my SS amps. I want mostly detail and clarity etc...

Dealing with HLLY I was also very pleased. great customer service, fast response and just very pleasant. I have no doubt in my mind that if something were to go wrong that they would jump right on getting another amp out to me. Etc....

I have no doubt Skylab will provide a much better posting of the sound quality... I am looking forward to what he has to say.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #71 of 106
I wouldn't mind some impressions of the Compass versus DMK-IV.
popcorn.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #72 of 106
Hi everyone, I am also intrested in this DAC. I would like to use it with a pair of DT880 250ohm as my primemary headphone amp. Since these are some what on the bright side I would like ti know if they make a good match. I am trying to achieve a natural sound.

I would be thankfull if someone could test this for me.

Greets

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #73 of 106
Normally I wouldn't do this...but I think anyone considering buying one of these might want to wait a day or two for me to finish my testing before buying. The HLLY I got operates fine...but I have been less than enamored with its sonics so far. Only tested the USB function with the built-in headphone amp - so far - but used as a USB DAC, it doesn't offer particularly impressive or competitive sound. I will test its Optical input tomorrow.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #74 of 106
Looking forward to hearing what Skylab has to say.

I honestly like the sound of the HLLY, especially with the DT880's. My son preferred it with the Denon D2000's. One of my friends preferred the stock out of the box Compass with the SA5K and a crossfreed filter set to medium.

I am a firm believer that what sounds good to one person might not sound quite as good to another...

Honestly. I mostly listen to tube amps so my opinion should be taken lightly. But if the HLLY had a hi/lo switch like the Compass, the HLLY would be my choice to keep. I really like the features and the build quality of my HLLY. I also think I like the HLLY a lil more because to my ears it is the more neutral sounding of the two DAC's I bought. (which is what I wanted neutral and clarity)

Luckily I can keep both the HLLY and the Compass. I am a pretty easy to person to please.

I will say the more I let these amps burnin the better they do sound. I didn't realize how much the SS amps needed the burnin time. but it does seem to make a big difference.

P.S. i only gave $284.00 shipped for my HLLY Amp.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #75 of 106
I burned mine in for 100 hours before listening, but it has 150 hours now.

I spent all morning with the DAC alone (without headphone amp) and it fared better in that regard. Still, the DMK-IV is a mixed bag. Here is my review:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...9/#post6346008

Users who are viewing this thread

Back