HLLY DMK-IV (DAC, headphone amp, pre amp)
Jan 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #77 of 106
Honestly.... the more i listen to this amp the better it gets. It really likes closed phones. Not too shabby with the K501 or DT880's either. But the D2000's sound great on it. (thanks to my son for pointing this out)

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #78 of 106
Hi spartan, thanks for the info. How would you compare the sound of the HILLY to the Audio GD Compass? I would be thankfull for a comparison using the bayer DT880. Is there any amp you would prefer with the 880's for a mostly natural sound? Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #79 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly.... the more i listen to this amp the better it gets. It really likes closed phones. Not too shabby with the K501 or DT880's either. But the D2000's sound great on it. (thanks to my son for pointing this out)

I've been quietly following this thread, from the initial barrage of criticism to the spirited defence by the manufacturer, and now we have a couple of positives emerging from those who have actually heard it.

None of this alters the possibility that this is a straight copy of someone else's design, but it must still be a bitter pill to swallow for those who predicted that it would be complete and utter crap.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #80 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can I ask what other headphone amps you've actually heard?

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #81 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask what other headphone amps you've actually heard?

Lol, read my equipment list. any way I like the amp. why is that so hard for some to understand? Is its "sound" perfect? hell no. but NONE of them ever are. But for ME the amp has great features and sounds more then nice enough for me to keep and continue to listen to.

So for the anti HLLY group, SAVE the BS. You are the typical people that comment with no experience with an item, who in turn make me want to vomit in my mouth a little.

I have had very positive dealings with the company and really like the product I purchased from them. So for me it is all good. Will the product shake your tree? Honestly, I could care less if it does or doesn't. At least I stepped up and bought and was honest about my dealings and product experience.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #82 of 106
Have you ever bought speakers from a white cube van at a mall spartan123 ? When a company has the brazen balls to openly copy a competitors design right down the last detail and then offer that companies warranty (LD) the alarm bells go off and loudly. What else are they trying to get away with ?

That is the issue. Not whether you like the amp or not or had a good experience dealing with them. For now I have some doubts about this unit's longevity as it reminds me of the first generation Zero. I hope for your sake it lasts a long time but the jury is still out on that and that seed of doubt has been planted because of the clone practices. If they are willing to openly copy another's designs/IP what else are they cutting corners on ? These are legitimate concerns.

This has nothing to do with personal feelings or thoughts along those lines so stop taking it personally spartan123. You don't have to defend your purchase but I question your defense of the company. Until they drop all clones and LD claims this criticism will continue and so it should IMO.

Peete.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #83 of 106
amazing. reading thru these forums it seems most amps or parts of amps are a rip off in some way or another. So your point really doesn't make a lot of sense.

how many car companies spout how much better they are or they have the exact same features of another? so seriously give it up.

You IMHO are just one of those people that jump on a negative band wagon and no matter what a person who has "experience" with a product says will matter to you.

If you are so damn set against them then don't buy. honestly I hope the the company would never have to deal with you... you would be one of the whiny nit picky people that they couldn't please no matter what they do.

I on the other hand have been around forums like this long enough to know that in order for ME to be happy I read the posts and decide for ME what I want to do. Not by what the so called forum experts say or what the FOTM is. I know what I want in a product and buy via that. Not by what some bigoted person sitting behind a keyboard tells me I should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever bought speakers from a white cube van at a mall spartan123 ? When a company has the brazen balls to openly copy a competitors design right down the last detail and then offer that companies warranty (LD) the alarm bells go off and loudly. What else are they trying to get away with ?

That is the issue. Not whether you like the amp or not or had a good experience dealing with them. For now I have some doubts about this unit's longevity as it reminds me of the first generation Zero. I hope for your sake it lasts a long time but the jury is still out on that and that seed of doubt has been planted because of the clone practices. If they are willing to openly copy another's designs/IP what else are they cutting corners on ? These are legitimate concerns.

This has nothing to do with personal feelings or thoughts along those lines so stop taking it personally spartan123. You don't have to defend your purchase but I question your defense of the company. Until they drop all clones and LD claims this criticism will continue and so it should IMO.

Peete.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #84 of 106
nah, I am done. I am happy with what I have and getting into a pissing match does nothing for the forum.

I stick by my comments on the amp and the company.

I am happy and when all is said and done, THAT is all that matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There just isnt a big enough popcorn smiley for this one - flame on, ladies !
icon10.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #85 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where you need to realize the distinction, is in the fact that HLLY is touting the LD WARRANTY

this is not an action to be condoned and defended...by anyone

I don't see they are touting the warranty issues with LD anymore. As far as i am concerned, HLLY is a good company for putting out another product because everybody benefits from the lower prices as more choices becomes available it drives prices down.

If you are so stuck up with your brand loyalty so be it, but my money always go to the lowest bidder with the best product. I don't know what went behind LD vs HLLY but people here acts like they know SOOOOOOOOO much about it. That forget to check the current facts before they open their mouth. I really don't care for what you have to say because your arguments are based on just your believes and not on FACTS.

Lastly why do we care what some chinese vendor does? As long as the product and the service is good then that is all that matters. I don't know what good does to you as consumer for supporting a certain brand, that makes the brand lazy and less innovative. Oh well if you like it then more power to you all.

Oh BTW i just checked their warranty
Capture128998.jpg

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #86 of 106
Just pulling the LD warranty isn't enough, Hlly have to stop selling the clone before I will let them off the hook but until they do that, people should be warned up front, period.

If consumers make the choice to buy, then they do so knowing the potential risks of closing the deal because of this thread.

This isn't about defending a brand it's about principled business practices.

Spartan you had better quit before you make an even bigger fool of yourself than you already have.

Peete.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #87 of 106
Quote:

Just pulling the LD warranty isn't enough, Hlly have to stop selling the clone before I will let them off the hook but until they do that, people should be warned up front, period.

I think people rely too sheepishly on third parties opinions for something so subjective and personal as SOUND. In this case selling a clone? if it was sold for well below market price lets say $150 to the US i would predict a bunch of people would buy it. I don't think this thread would be THAT much of an influence. In the end everyone is looking for themselves

Quote:

If consumers make the choice to buy, then they do so knowing the potential risks of closing the deal because of this thread.

What risks? is the amp going to catch on fire? Do you know the risks before hand? have you disected the HLLY MK III to give such an adverse opinion. All the debate so far was because, "oh they copied my fav amp" and if it was encased in a different body nobody would know and everything so fine and dandy. At least none of the reviews i have read so far have talked about the technical parts and circuitry to look for knock offs. NOBODY has even touched the HLLY MK III to begin with. At least i have not.

Quote:

This isn't about defending a brand it's about principled business practices.

This is pretty elitist, please tell me you don't shop at walmart, buy gas to fill your SUV, drink bottled water and many mundane things that are so overlooked even having something from china because pretty much all the stuff that comes from china is a knock off of something.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #88 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenstuffs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is pretty elitist, please tell me you don't shop at walmart, buy gas to fill your SUV, drink bottled water and many mundane things that are so overlooked even having something from china because pretty much all the stuff that comes from china is a knock off of something.

None of those deal with the theft of intellectual property.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #89 of 106
Well, Hlly maybe copying Little Dot's products and selling it for a cheaper price. But do you know if it SOUNDS as good as the LD products?

Also, here is another thing I really like about David and Little Dot, I bought a well used LD MKIII on these forums and a couple of the resistors went up in smoke a couple weeks ago. I was researching which product to buy and found out that one of the better amps for Grado's is the LD I+ so I ordered one from David and told him what went wrong with my old amp which I told him I bought used and has no warranty. He told me what was wrong with my LD MKIII and is shipping the parts along with my new LD I+ for only a couple extra bucks for shipping/handling!
biggrin.gif

Thats what I call great service! Lets see if HLLY can match that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #90 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quoting him wasn't the best thing either, he really deserves no attention at all...I've reported his post now that I've read it, something needs to be done w/ his permanent foul mouthing. He's a disgrace to head-fi IMO.

he also has completely threadcrapped this current discussion w/ OT pointless remarks.

Indeed, i also reported him to the relevant mods
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back