HJE900 VS MC5 VS RE0 Vs other in the <100 category
Sep 19, 2010 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yearsofwisdom

100+ Head-Fier
My budget is <100 dollars. I listen to 35 percent classical music(including orchestral works,woodwind concertos ,opera) 35 percent rock( classical + alternative) 25 percent hip hop(rap) 5 percent other( electronic, trance, metal). Basically i've narrowed my choices down to the MC5, HSJE900s since the deal is only 75 bucks!, super fi 5s which are like 60, RE0s, REZero, and IE6s + Monster turbines if they go on sale again. Which one?!?!?! sorry total noob here. + high school student so durability + money is an issue for me. but obviously i would like the most bang for the buck and obviously the best sound quality.

edit: also currently have the Koss KSC75

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 6
yearsofwisdom, I hope it's okay that I piggy back on your post since I have a similar question. I am choosing between the Panasonic RP-HJE900 and the UE SuperFI 5vi's, both currently on sale for $75 and $63 on amazon, respectfully. Like you, I primarily listen to classical and rock. I also like contemporary jazz and movie/video game OSTs. I plan to use them primarily to work out so a good fit is important. Any recommendations?

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 6
I have both re0 and hje900. For classical and rock, I believe re0 would be the better choice because of the clarity and the instruments separation.  I still prefer to listen to the re0 for those kind of musics. From what I heard, mc5 is very similar to the re0's SQ, I would actually choose that over re0 because of better isolation, build quality, and longer warranty. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 6
and yeah being a highschool student, durability is a huge issue for me since i just wrap my wires around the ipod..... so i think RE0 is sorta on the low end. plus i hear it lacks more bass than the KSC75s which i already thought had miniscule bass. which is more durable, the mc5s or the HJE900s or the IE6s?

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 6
bumping for neo and i. basically im pretty set on getting these but i was wondering if these were good for classical or not. and i currently have the ksc75s so i was wondering if i would notice a HUGE difference in any genre of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back