HJE900 vs. C751 vs. ???
May 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Marvulus

New Head-Fier
My C700s broke and Denon replaced them with the c751 about a year ago, I always felt the 751 had a little less bass compared, but still decent enough in quality and quantity for me in something this portable.  The overall sound is fine also, i don't have too much experience with higher end iem's.  

My original source was a Zune30 (Electronic EQ), now I'm using a ZuneHD (No EQ) with the C751's and I'm looking for something with more bass, or at least a signature enough to balance out the ZuneHD shortcomings.  From reading various threads I'm leaning towards the HJE900, but I can't really tell if anyone is saying these have just as much bass as the 751, or more, or whatever.  I'm looking for more, but without too much sacrifice in the other areas, overall something better than the C751.

Budget is no more than $150 USD.  Thanks.

Oh, and I mostly listen to indie, electronic, hip-hop, rock.  My pinned albums are Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, Beirut March of the Zapotec, Crystal Castles II, PRR: Amor Vincit Omnia, Lisa Hannigan Sea Sew, Zoot Woman, Mr. Hudson and the Library, and a J.Cole Mixtape... but I listen to a lot of random hip-hop, Southern (I need good bass), East Coast, Underground, boom-bap, whatever, electronic mash -ups (think I Am Not Robot Penguin Prison Remix or anything La Roux, original or remix) and some Pop, and old Soul or Motown every now and then)  So a good overall "good for most things" IEM would be great.

May 15, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 31
I agree, its been a while since I've heard the C751's but you'll find the FX500's to be similar but with more bass and slightly more V shaped than C751.

May 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 31
I'm not sure i want something "similar" either.  I like the sound, but if it's possible to improve on soundstage and clarity while adding more bass, I'd love that.  For one thing, I do like how female vocals come across on the c751, I wouldn't like to sacrifice that, but thanks for the suggestion.  The FX500s look good, I'll read up a bit more on them.  I guess I might have my heart set on HJE900 based on the stuff I've read and might be looking a for a good reason not to get them, or stick with that decision.

I am reading a lot of complaints about harsh treble for the FX500 and HJE900 and similar iems in that tier, and I don't plan to mod.  I guess I'm also wondering how harsh is harsh coming from the C751?

May 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 31
Klipsch Custom 3 willbe great upgrade over C751 in this price range and it has some deep punchy bass with rich mids and clear highs. Also Sennheiser IE7(highely recommended) has wide soundstage, punchy bass, clear detailed mids and clean highs. ATH-CKS90 has very solid bass with improved mids and highs over CKS70 with large soundstage.

May 15, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 31
Since I plan to keep the c751 it won't be too much of a risk.  Unless the new phones don't differentiate themselves enough, that's my worry with the FX500 though overall they seem like a slight upgrade.  In certain threads it appears people can't make up their mind as to if the fx500 or the c751 has more bass.  Hippo VB seems to sacrifice too much other qualities for my tastes.  Like I said, if there are two areas that really need a bump for me in the c751, it's soundstage and bass quantity.

Quote:
Klipsch Custom 3 willbe great upgrade over C751 in this price range and it has some deep punchy bass with rich mids and clear highs. Also Sennheiser IE7(highely recommended) has wide soundstage, punchy bass, clear detailed mids and clean highs. ATH-CKS90 has very solid bass with improved mids and highs over CKS70 with large soundstage.

I'm reading that the cables are crap on the Custom 3's, that worries me.

Quote:
C710 or HJE900

however having heard the C710 C751 HJE900 and FX500, of them the only one i ever really pick up is the C751

In one these HJE900 threads, I think the "showdown" one, it read like you were saying the c751 has too much bass or just enough for you.  I like the quality of the c751 bass, but  never once felt it had enough except on maybe 2-3 tracks in my collection that were probably all uncontrolled bass, and the c751 tamed them into something quite pleasant, sort of how I wished every song's bass would sound with it, so I know it has the ability.

So you're recommending the HJE900 over the FX500, why?

And btw, thank you all for your input.  I love Head-fi though I only come here sparingly when i need new phones, but generally after enough discussion, your suggestions have never let me down. My travels: CX300->Mylarone X3->Denon C700->C751->???

May 17, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 31
ALO selling Radius11R IEMs for $170 and they offer great deep, punchy bass with detailed mids and highs with much wider soundstage close to IE8. I will highely recommend these over VB if isolation is not most important and they sound amazing.

May 18, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 31
Are you sure? Can't seem to find them on the site.

And how much of a jump in quality would you say they are (to the c751 or Hippo VB)?  Is fit really that big of an issue with them?

May 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
Since I plan to keep the c751 it won't be too much of a risk.  Unless the new phones don't differentiate themselves enough, that's my worry with the FX500 though overall they seem like a slight upgrade.  In certain threads it appears people can't make up their mind as to if the fx500 or the c751 has more bass.  Hippo VB seems to sacrifice too much other qualities for my tastes.  Like I said, if there are two areas that really need a bump for me in the c751, it's soundstage and bass quantity.

I'm reading that the cables are crap on the Custom 3's, that worries me.

In one these HJE900 threads, I think the "showdown" one, it read like you were saying the c751 has too much bass or just enough for you.  I like the quality of the c751 bass, but  never once felt it had enough except on maybe 2-3 tracks in my collection that were probably all uncontrolled bass, and the c751 tamed them into something quite pleasant, sort of how I wished every song's bass would sound with it, so I know it has the ability.

So you're recommending the HJE900 over the FX500, why?

And btw, thank you all for your input.  I love Head-fi though I only come here sparingly when i need new phones, but generally after enough discussion, your suggestions have never let me down. My travels: CX300->Mylarone X3->Denon C700->C751->???

well the reason i was saying the HJE900 and C710 over the FX500 is that i dont think the 500 is all that bassy.  they have really good deep bass but in comparison to the abundant treble there isnt that much of it

May 18, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 31
@Marvulus, just want to say some complain FX500 to have recessed midrange. No experience on how FX500 and C751, but I see that you said you like female vocals on C751, FX500 might not be able to satisfy you with great vocal.

May 18, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #14 of 31
Okay, so FX500 has been scratched off.  I want to try another sound signature from Denon, so the c710 is also off, despite it probably being the safe bet.

So if the Hippo VB > HJE900 generally, and the Radius 11R is much better than all the above, rivaling $300 iems, I'm heavily leaning towards going slightly over 150 for them.  In the end the difference to me is a night out drinking, well the difference is much less than that honestly.

As long as the fit isn't much worse than say the headphones that come with the Sony S705f, I think I can deal with them.

Now to cancel that order from Jaben.  I should've created an account.

May 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 31
The FX500s are good, but probably at the limit of your price range. The HJE900s seem like a perfect fit.

C751s aren't in the same league (not a wise thing to admit while I sell a pair).

Quote:
So if the Hippo VB > HJE900 generally

To my ears, this is incredibly wrong. Hippos are good enough, but having just done a head-to-head, I missed the 900s every time I put them down, and procrastinated turning off the music. They're that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back