Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
May 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #439 of 830
There won't be a new firmware for these players.  I really do not understand what Hisound is up to but if they want to be taken seriously they really need to completely change the UI.  There are just way too many problems, I really do not understand how my $25 Sansa Fuze from years ago can scan my 64gb Micro SD card in less than 40 seconds, but the Studio V at $400 or so takes forever and has so many damned problems.  Almost nothing was put into the UI. For that reason, I never recommend the Hisound Daps to anyone who is not willing to put up with a ton of nonsense.  Once past that nonsense, the sound is pretty flipping great...still no excuse for the messy UI.

-Deafening loud pop if your headphones are plugged in when you want to use it as a stand alone amp and first turn it on
-Forced Micro SD card check even if you want to use it as the amp, forced to remove Micro SD card or else suffer minutes of boot up.
-Forced to remove all of your tags to get a faster boot, sucks for anyone who actually uses other Daps with Tag support.
-Supremely slow Artists and Albums menu even with tags removed, why do they exist if Resource Manager is lightning fast and displays everything they do?
-No EQ...$390 Dap...not even a basic EQ. 
-Cant be used while charging, no charging when used in amplifier mode.  
-No Hold button
-All inputs at the top of the Dap, a clear sign he that designed it didn't plan to actually use it.  Inputs should be at the bottom so you can place the Dap into a bag or your pocket to allow for easily accessed buttons, instead of having to flip the player upside down in your pocket and work backwards.  Things are much easier when the inputs are on the bottom.  The only way to avoid it is to place the Dap into your pocket with the strain relief of your headphones and interconnects being forced downward, potentially causing damage over time.  
-No Randomize function unless you use Now Playing, or are inside an Album. 
-Off button enables too quickly and too easily. Off should be two buttons pressed and held together if the player only has four buttons to begin with and the Off button also controls menu selections, getting in and out requires you to hold the off button....ehh....

I ignore all of this because the Amplifier in this Dap is pure awesomeness.  I am sitting here comparing it to the Apex Butte and I am not sure which one I enjoy more.  Thats how great this damned little Studio V sounds.

May 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #440 of 830
Totally agree with you.
Quote:
There won't be a new firmware for these players.  I really do not understand what Hisound is up to but if they want to be taken seriously they really need to completely change the UI.  There are just way too many problems, I really do not understand how my $25 Sansa Fuze from years ago can scan my 64gb Micro SD card in less than 40 seconds, but the Studio V at $400 or so takes forever and has so many damned problems.  Almost nothing was put into the UI. For that reason, I never recommend the Hisound Daps to anyone who is not willing to put up with a ton of nonsense.  Once past that nonsense, the sound is pretty flipping great...still no excuse for the messy UI.

-Deafening loud pop if your headphones are plugged in when you want to use it as a stand alone amp and first turn it on
-Forced Micro SD card check even if you want to use it as the amp, forced to remove Micro SD card or else suffer minutes of boot up.
-Forced to remove all of your tags to get a faster boot, sucks for anyone who actually uses other Daps with Tag support.
-Supremely slow Artists and Albums menu even with tags removed, why do they exist if Resource Manager is lightning fast and displays everything they do?
-No Hold button
-All inputs at the top of the Dap, a clear sign he that designed it didn't plan to actually use it.  Inputs should be at the bottom so you can place the Dap into a bag or your pocket to allow for easily accessed buttons, instead of having to flip the player upside down in your pocket and work backwards.  Things are much easier when the inputs are on the bottom.  The only way to avoid it is to place the Dap into your pocket with the strain relief of your headphones and interconnects being forced downward, potentially causing damage over time.  
-Off button enables too quickly and too easily. Off should be two buttons pressed and held together if the player only has four buttons to begin with and the Off button also controls menu selections, getting in and out requires you to hold the off button....ehh....

I ignore all of this because the Amplifier in this Dap is pure awesomeness.  I am sitting here comparing it to the Apex Butte and I am not sure which one I enjoy more.  Thats how great this damned little Studio V sounds.

May 2, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #441 of 830
I'm not sure if I can call it firmware, but I'm actually aiting for the Dynamic FW with less hiss. I know that I can just change it to BA, but htey dont sound as good as the dynamic.

How it looks and operate is what we call crappy for 400$, but I can always tolerate the UI of chinese players. But to be honest, If the interface can be somehat near the Hifiman, It would be damn nice. Probable dont need to be the whole UI, just the identification of tags and the other stuffs as much as the boot time of microSD

May 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #443 of 830
Quote:
what a shame. are there any other mp3 players  about same sq and same battery life ?  :)

same sq, I can say that the HiFiman 602 is at the same level, but have completely different sound signature but the battery life is way down below compared to the Studio V.

May 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #444 of 830
Quote:
same sq, I can say that the HiFiman 602 is at the same level, but have completely different sound signature but the battery life is way down below compared to the Studio V.

I'm curious about that as I didn't find the Hifiman 601 nearly as good as the Studio V. The 601 and 602 are closer in sound than different. The only thing with the 602 is its DAC which is usable with the PC. The 601 was much quieter than the Studio V though.

May 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #445 of 830
Quote:

I'm curious about that as I didn't find the Hifiman 601 nearly as good as the Studio V. The 601 and 602 are closer in sound than different. The only thing with the 602 is its DAC which is usable with the PC. The 601 was much quieter than the Studio V though.

well, have you tried the HM602/1 + UE TF10 combo? I'm just syaing that they are both good, but for different types of music. Listening to Olivia Ong in Studio V is not as pleasing as the 602

May 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #446 of 830
Not worries man we all have our own opinions. The TF10s will definitely be an issue due to the high impedance on the Studio V. I had my TF10s turned into customs. They are ok I guess. But I mainly use them for gaming though, not so much for music. I just don't enjoy them much for music. The sound is very artificial and not so convincing to me :p.

May 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #447 of 830
I will agree with Lee regarding the TF10. I never found that the TF10 was a perfect match with either the Studio-V or the HM601 most likely due to the two DAP's relative high output impedance that seems to  affect the TF10 in a much more negative way than with other BA driver based IEM's.  I actually always thought that my Clip+ performed or sounded better with the TF10 than any of these two players.  

May 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #448 of 830
Quote:

-No Hold button

I just shot an email through to Jack trying to confirm, and half begging him to really redo it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back