Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Jun 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #781 of 830
alphaman: While you have a point, Mark2410 is a regular member and not an official reviewer (Head-Fi has no such thing). He is most likely to be writing to members who already know the details of the product. However, you are welcome to review products you have used and write a review you think would be good for people to read. 
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #782 of 830
Quote:
General comments about mark2410's review style:

Pros:
  1. Good product selection (ie., when compared to plethora of new junk released, mark2410 grabs the real goodies)
  2. Good photography

Cons:
  1. No bulleted intro/summary -- important info like price, main features, dimensions, and manuf. web links should be FIRST -- in bullets -- and later expanded in that order later (see 1, 2 below)
  2. Too long (see 1, 2 below)
  3. Not written/stylized for the web (web folks don't read long paras, they scan) -- i.e., layout not ideal (see 1, 2 below)
  4. No description of technical guts (topology, DAC chips, opamps, decoder used)
  5. No internal photos of products

Refs:

The Head Fi community have most certainly moved in a variety of directions over the past few years. Progress I assume. Not that I feel that I have anything to offer or the enhanced wisdom and I'll be Frank or whoever you want me to be, but this post is actually quite funny, me thinks.. Maybe, I just don't get it and it is time to for me to retire from this place..

mark2410's review's are IMO fine and I pick out what I need to know and adjust along the way. He puts in a huge effort and I for one appreciate this..

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #783 of 830
Are you serious alphaman? Or just trolling? The fact that he took his time to do this review and shared his experience with everyone is a wonderful thing. Heck you were asking for advice on DAPs and I pointed you here. It makes me wonder if you are really even interested in purchasing a product rather than critiquing/trolling people.... As Currawong mentioned in a nice way. If you feel you can do better then by all means we'd love to hear your piece :wink:.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #784 of 830
Quote:

The Head Fi community have most certainly moved in a variety of directions over the past few years. Progress I assume. Not that I feel that I have anything to offer or the enhanced wisdom and I'll be Frank or whoever you want me to be, but this post is actually quite funny, me thinks.. Maybe, I just don't get it and it is time to for me to retire from this place..

mark2410's review's are IMO fine and I pick out what I need to know and adjust along the way. He puts in a huge effort and I for one appreciate this..

That and I always fail to understand the fascination of parts selection and topology in portable players by lay people. Mark is reviewing a result and it's really all that matters. An OpAmp or DAC chip can sound completely different by application. It's fine to know but it more often biases an opinion than not.

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #785 of 830
I've seen many types of posts before on here concerning various subjects but to actually waste ones time to critique a reviewers posting style on, of all things, an audio board? Come on dude, don't you think you're being, to put it very mildly, just a little troll like?

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #786 of 830
Totally agree with the others. Go and join the police force alphaman, there's a world of crime out there to be stopped.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #787 of 830
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #788 of 830
well some constructive thoughts.

the points you raise,

1 well the the no bulleted intro.  well i dont believe in them, if you want a 5 second "yeah its good, no its bad" review its not really where im aiming.  though since i intend at some point to do a compendium i do normally also a "quick review" that i aim for less than 500 words.  all my newer reviews have that on post 2 of the thread.

2 yeah they are long.  sometimes too long but the way i see it if you care about the stuff youll want to read it all, if not thats what the quick reviews are for.  if people chose to not read due to its length then thats up to them as i dont see any particular reason to emulate more generalised publications with more cursory information.

3 well i agree i dont have the most wonderful writing but again if people want to just scan, its what the quick ones are for.

4  no technical specs, mostly because i dont really care about them.  for some products the tech specs are everything, ifm buying an SSD the numbers matter.  if im buying a loaf of bread numbers are meaningless as they in no way quantify the aspect of the product i care about.  still as this is more commonly given in short things i do add it into my quick reviews

5 no internals, yeah that would be because im not ripping stuff apart, again because i dont believe it matters and im not ruining things for no reason.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #789 of 830
hey,

just curious, but does anyone know of a firmware they had for the Studio V?
sent mine back to them a few weeks ago and got it back with a firmware dated 2013.01.15
the latest I know of released was 2011.12.23
apparently it looks like they saved the playback preferences. and songs stored in the microSD card are now sorted under the main section of "Music"
but it seems that press-and-hold scrolling isn't working anymore. bummer.

anyone has this firmware too? 
sorry can't post photos yet due to the little post counts I have :/

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #790 of 830
Quote:
General comments about mark2410's review style:

Pros:
  1. Good product selection (ie., when compared to plethora of new junk released, mark2410 grabs the real goodies)
  2. Good photography

Cons:
  1. No bulleted intro/summary -- important info like price, main features, dimensions, and manuf. web links should be FIRST -- in bullets -- and later expanded in that order later (see 1, 2 below)
  2. Too long (see 1, 2 below)
  3. Not written/stylized for the web (web folks don't read long paras, they scan) -- i.e., layout not ideal (see 1, 2 below)
  4. No description of technical guts (topology, DAC chips, opamps, decoder used)
  5. No internal photos of products

Refs:

Perhaps it's because I'm quite inebriated, but the above post made me laugh aloud.  The "Refs:" bit was the clincher, causing actual liquid to exit my nostrils as I chuckled extra enthusiastically.  Seriously, mark2410 posts fine reviews--quality enough to contribute to my purchase of a Studio V 2A--but, please, give alphaman credit for a dryer-than-vermouth wit.  Now, the real conundrums:  does the Studio V 3rd Anniversary have an improved "Play\Random" function relative to the Studio V 2A?; and, if so, is this plus the seemingly improved sound quality worth the upgrade?  This is what the discerning public wants to know
beerchug.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #791 of 830
The UI hasn't improved IMO in any respects although they supposedly are releasing an updated firmware to improve things (still skeptical on this myself though). Regarding the sound quality improvements I found it worth the upgrade. But for me personally the biggest plus was the reduction in hihs. This is major to me and made the unit that much more listenable. But in regards to sound quality the unit is a nice improvement in all areas. Now not night and day differences but enough for me to appreciate the differences. A more refined and natural sound, treble especially has a more natural sound and not so metallic sounding. Bass is not as compressed and is more open. A bit more bass presence IMO while the 2nd edition had some slight bass roll off. Some still do feel there is slight roll off but I tend to think otherwise. The sound staging is also slightly bigger. Vocals are as good as ever. Not sure about improvements in this area. But overall the sound is more transparent.

Jul 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #792 of 830
Thought I'd pop in to share this wonderful pairing I have discovered Sony MDR V6 / Studio V.

Not sure if anyone has tried these two before but you should certainly be, they sound very nice together.

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #793 of 830
Hey guys

I've got the top of the line Sandisk 16gb card, but under Music it says there are no files.

I have to play music by the Resource Manager, its a pain.

I had a Class4 8GB card before and it was fully fictional.

Yes, I've tried everything: reinstalling firmware, switching between the 3 firmwares, formatting my card to FAT32 with my Mac and Windows computers, etc

Is anyone having this issue? Are there any fixes?

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #794 of 830
Did you delete the system folder on the internal memory? You have to do this every time you switch out SD cards or you will have issues. I also only use the resource menu as it is much faster than using the other functions. They are too buggy to bother with IMO. Especially when you have a lot of files....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back