Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #556 of 830
Quote:
Well you say you find yourself adding treble boost on your Arrow. I'd say the Studio V would not require you to add that treble. The treble is very well extended on it. I'd say a 30 Ohm adapter is sufficient to eliminate all audible hiss during playback without ruining the sound. Since you seem to love treble the Studio V will be a good match for your tastes. The large and airy sound stage play very nicely with rock IMO. Plus the mid range is quite upfront and personal.

thanks man
have you used 75ohm adapter? do you think that much of resistant will ruin the sound? (I'm waiting for your impression about 3rd anniversary studio V it is also available on ebay)

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #557 of 830
Quote:
yes will purchasing the 3rd ANV on monday. will have to sell my old unit since funds abit tight for me right now
redface.gif
. really excited on purchasing it

You will be purchasing it from Treoo? Just saw the price :p

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #558 of 830
Quote:
thanks man
have you used 75ohm adapter? do you think that much of resistant will ruin the sound? (I'm waiting for your impression about 3rd anniversary studio V it is also available on ebay)

I wouldn't recommend using a 75 Ohm adapter. That will actually suck the life out of the sound. It will make the mid range sound distant. I'd say 30 Ohms may be the limit. You could possibly go up a few more but 30 seems to be the sweet spot. It lowered the hiss enough where you won't hear it at all with music playing, even on the lowest volume possible. Plus the hiss you could hear with no music playing is so small that you would literally be nit-picking and trying to look for it. I'd say the hiss with the adapter is on par with the hiss I get from my DX100 on medium gain, so it's minor and not an issue at all. Below is the adapter I bought from ebay. You can ask them to customize it to the impedance you need. I chose 30 and it seems to fit the bill. It also did a great job on my older Studio V. You could probably pump it up a few on the older Studio though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-ER4P-TO-ER4S-RESISTOR-ADAPTOR-3-5MM-PLUG-/290372905689?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item439b92ead9

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #559 of 830
Quote:

You will be purchasing it from Treoo? Just saw the price :p

im gonna purchase it through jack directly. i just checked the treoo website and the 3rd anv studio v is still havent avaible

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #561 of 830
Quote:
I have gotten my eye on akg k550 phones, what do you think how will they sound with studio 3rd?

Don't- good for movies and gaming, but has a resonance in the upper mids, short story = bad news for music. And the highs are killer, and I THINK the studio is also a bit bright, so it will most probably make your ears bleed.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #562 of 830
I presently live in Singapore and I ordered a Studio V directly from Jack about four (4) months ago. It arrived by post in just over a week and I had no problems whatsoever dealing with Jack.  Now about the UI... 
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #563 of 830
Quote:
I presently live in Singapore and I ordered a Studio V directly from Jack about four (4) months ago. It arrived by post in just over a week and I had no problems whatsoever dealing with Jack.  Now about the UI... 
tongue.gif

lol the UI is a bit quirky but not as bad as some make it out to be. My main qualm with it is when you select a folder and play songs from it. Say I want to go back into that folder to choose different songs, it won't let you do that and takes you back to the very beginning of the resource menu. If they fixed that I 'd be quite happy with it generally. There can be some lag though when switching between folders while music is playing back. I notice either pausing the music or selecting a folder from the internal memory/external memory fixes this.

Aug 26, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #564 of 830
Quote:
Don't- good for movies and gaming, but has a resonance in the upper mids, short story = bad news for music. And the highs are killer, and I THINK the studio is also a bit bright, so it will most probably make your ears bleed.

So what would you suggest? Another i have in mind is Fidelio L1. Would be more all around headphones with some more bass, but as far as i have read not as nice for music.
 I do like my Shure SE215 IEMs witch it seems are considered somewhat bass heavy.

How do i format my sandisk mSDXC to fat32? the default windows formatter does not allow it.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #566 of 830
Quote:
 So what would you suggest? Another i have in mind is Fidelio L1. Would be more all around headphones with some more bass, but as far as i have read not as nice for music.
 I do like my Shure SE215 IEMs witch it seems are considered somewhat bass heavy.

How do i format my sandisk mSDXC to fat32? the default windows formatter does not allow it.

Use this program. The easiest method and sure-shot.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #567 of 830
I have just order myself a Studio V but still i would like to know is it a worthy upgrade from rocoo p ? 

Other than the battery life which is very attractive anything else ? Is it worth more than double the price ?

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #568 of 830
Quote:
I have just order myself a Studio V but still i would like to know is it a worthy upgrade from rocoo p ? 

Other than the battery life which is very attractive anything else ? Is it worth more than double the price ?

IMHO, the battery life itself is a worthy upgrade. better amp hence the bulk i presume

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #569 of 830

Quote:

Below is a post from the Hisound Studio V 3rd ANV edition thread. Headfier wormsdriver just received his unit and he feels this player is in an entirely different level above the Rocoo P and Rocoo BA. I feel the same way. Don't kid yourself the Rocoo Players have nothing on the Studio V when it comes to sound quality.

post #81 of 82
3 hours, 16 minutes ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/eb/100x100px-LS-ebb9469c_MY-LOGOalmostdone.jpeg[/img]
  1. wormsdriver
  2. badge_100.v1305918899.png
  4. offline
  1. 394 Posts. Joined 8/2011
  2. Location: McAllen, Tx.

Quote:
I hate you :wink:... So can you post some impressions? Hiss, sound quality compared to your other Studio V? Keep-em coming :p.

I'm uploading an unboxing video right now, and I'll try to take some decent pictures later on tonight. So far, I've only manage to have a few short listening sessions with it and my ie8's, and it totally blew me away. I also have Rocoo P and Rocoo BA(no Studio V) wich I love, and I love the synergy they have with the ie8's(and others). WITH OUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, THE STUDIO 3RD ANNIVERSARY IS ON A WHOLE DIFFERENT LEVEL THAN THESE OTHER TWO PLAYERS. 
What immediately blew me away was the width of the soundstage, and the instrument separation is very clear. Like I said earlier, I love my other two Hisound DAPs. I started out with the Rocoo P, and thought it couldn't get any better, but boy was I wrong! I then got my hands on the Rocoo BA since I was planing on buying a pair of UM Miracles and read that they are very sensitive so thought it would come in handy. Well a couple of months later and I still haven't place the order for the Miracles but went ahead and started using the Rocoo BA anyways. Although I wasn't immediately impressed with it and questioned it's price increase over the Rocoo P, after a couple of months of usage I am thoroughly impressed with it and the Rocoo P sits in a Pelican case all by it's lonesome.
I passed on the Studio V promotion last December, and was kicking myself after all the great things I read about it, and reading that it was indeed a better DAP than the Rocoo's. This time around, no way I was missing out on this great deal(thanks Hisound
smile.gif
) and so far so good, I am a VERY HAPPY MAN!

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #570 of 830
As promised, this is my review of the HiSoundAudio Studio V 3rd anniversary.

Introduction:
----------------

My headset is an Earsonic EM4. I am extremely satisfied by it. It is very neutral, with deep and articulated bass, a nice medium and detailed but never aggressive trebles. I used to pair it with a Cowon J3 that gave me full satisfaction but died unexpectedly few weeks ago.

To find its successor, my two requirements were:
  1. At least the same sound quality
  2. A very good battery life (30+ hours). I am travelling a lot and new Cowon’s short life batteries are deal breaker for me.

I wandered on the net to find the good candidate and found on Head-Fi this brand, HiSoundAudio, and their highly praised products… True, there were some cave emptor here and there regarding the stability or user interface, but when Jack gave me the opportunity to get one in order to write this review, I give it a try.

Package:
-----------

Received in a black, watch like box, the overall presentation is quite good. Small flaw in finishing prevent to qualify it of luxury product but close enough and it is definitively more exclusive than the plastic box of the J3.

Documentation:
--------------------

Minimal, mainly in Chinese and obviously written to support multiple products. It contains basic information but definitively not enough to make your device works correctly, we will this later

The look:
-----------

This is a small brick of champagne brushed aluminum. Aluminum is light (which is good) but quite fragile (which is not) and my device arrived with a dent on the top. It marks quite easily and will have to be seriously protected from external aggression. That being said, I like the look (so do my wife) which is definitively out of standards (iphone like) devices we see everywhere now. However, this is a matter of personal taste and not everybody is fan of Bauhaus design.
On top, 5 buttons (brushed iron) forming a cross for the control and one too small (but readable) screen, that’s all for the interface.

Usage:
--------

User interface is definitively of another age. It lack of consistency (sometime the menu is up/down, sometime left/right) and is not comfortable (screen is really small and can display less than 20 characters). There is no search function and despite my effort (and the support of the forum), I was unable to make the ID3 tags recognized. Therefore, no navigation through albums, artists or whatever…
In consequence, access is reduced to the resource manager which is basically a file explorer. Hopefully my files are sorted in directory by artist then album so it’s ok but if it’s not your case forget it…
Depending of the type of tags you use and your size of data, the file checking when your start the device could take several minutes. This is annoying and could be reduce to less than 2 minutes by sticking to a set of rules seen just after…

The storage, the files, the tags, the life…:
--------------------------------------------------

Internal storage is only 4GB. You will then need to add a micro SD card (SDXC is Ok) up to 64GB. Please note this card will have to be formatted in fat32 as the exfat format is not supported. Tools to do so can be found on internet as Windows will not allow you to do so directly.
As said, file checking is very slow and the system is very picky when parsing the file, ignoring some and mixing up file orders. So, to make it work and reduce the checking time to minimum you have to:
  1. Remove all ID3v2, FLAC, VORBIS tags. Keep only ID3v1 (I am wondering it this is really necessary however...)
  2. Remove all albums arts, inside (tags) or outside. With the screen, they are useless anyway so…
  3. Your filename should not contain dashes (-), dots (.) or exotic (ie non basic) characters (à é…)

Doing so, you should be able to start in a decent time and navigate through your file with the resource manager.
And the battery you wonder… it is endless… scores of hours, this is really great and I like that…

Ok ok we get it, but the sound:
--------------------------------------

Sure, putting apart the battery criteria I mentioned earlier, the other important point for me was the sound quality. Going through all those problems (took me days to reach a stable situation), there is probably a reason for that. You are right, the sound is damn good.
The Studio V got 2 firmwares called Dynamic and BA. My device arrived with the Dynamic one. It was not good (at all) especially in the trebles with extremely unpleasant saturation. From web instruction (this is not in the manual), I manage to switch to the other firmware, BA (stands for Balanced Armatures) and it is a totally different world.

Two first striking things are the high level of transparency you get and the beautiful textured medium, especially appropriate for voice lover as I am. Sound is very fluid, analogical, probably mode suited (however it is very good on other style) to live music, jazz, classical… Soundstage is good putting all elements at the right place. Only drawback is the gap between to track which is really annoying when listening live and concert….

Regarding the J3, the only point that I could find could be a slight lack of energy on the low and may be an inferior precision on treble. However the latest could just be an effect of having a higher level of details.

End word:
-------------

In my country, audiophile is an ambiguous word. It shares the same meaning as in English, describing the world of music lovers, high quality devices and search of perfect reproduction. But it also carries a kind of ironic dimension, of devices forgetting the user’s mind and eyes, sometime elitist or unreasonably expensive.
Coming from a Cowon J3 that gave full satisfaction (good sound, good battery, nice but small screen), I have to say this Studio V 3rd anniversary really is really matching this qualification. If you are ready to really sacrifice all for the music, go for it, it’s really good. If struggling with a “not of our time anymore” UI and the most picky and capricious ID tags and file name processor I ever seen, this is not you thing..

Well, you get me I guess… :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back