Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Jan 8, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #166 of 830

Quote:
Can the STUDIO-V play flac files with resolutions higher than 16/44.1 (CD) ? Mine will not play 24/88 (Audio DVD), or 24/96 (Hi Res), or 24/192 (Master Tape Res) flac files.

If this is true...What!?!?!?

This means the 'STUDIO' cannot play 'Studio Quality' recordings!  Even my little CLIP+ w/Rockbox can play EVERY flac mentioned above, period!!

That period came to soon. The Rockbox Clip+ is downsampling so the res is also not 'studio quality'. I think it even downconverts 48k stuff to 44/16. It is generally poorer in practice to downsample on the fly. Best to do ahead of time for best results. Just harder on the processor and wasting storage space. Brings up the noise floor etc. Seeing how that noise floor is about 90db on a clip+ HiRes is dubious regardless. I'm not that interested in more than 16/44 for a portable but it would be nice to know what the true capabilities are. For instance I prefer 96k downconverted to 48k over 44k so if it did 48/16 or even, that would be nice. 44-48/24 would probably suffice for those that feel HiRes is important in this environment.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #167 of 830
I hope you have  a chance to compare the sound quality of  rest DAPs with the loseless formate files with ROCOO P with the mp3 format of 192 KBPS.

Anybody can share your experiment?

Quote:

That period came to soon. The Rockbox Clip+ is downsampling so the res is also not 'studio quality'. I think it even downconverts 48k stuff to 44/16. It is generally poorer in practice to downsample on the fly. Best to do ahead of time for best results. Just harder on the processor and wasting storage space. Brings up the noise floor etc. Seeing how that noise floor is about 90db on a clip+ HiRes is dubious regardless. I'm not that interested in more than 16/44 for a portable but it would be nice to know what the true capabilities are. For instance I prefer 96k downconverted to 48k over 44k so if it did 48/16 or even, that would be nice. 44-48/24 would probably suffice for those that feel HiRes is important in this environment.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #168 of 830
The control and rhythmic character of RoCoo may be better with lower res but the subtleties and ambiance retrieval of 320 or higher is still important to me. As long as I can get it all with RoCoo, I'm happy.
bigsmile_face.gif
Of course, if I was driving some inefficient cans, RoCoo would be the choice with any file.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #169 of 830
I've just noticed a quirt with the Studio V as well. It seems sometimes the volume and overall dynamics are off and it will require a reboot to fix this? Is anyone else experiencing this? It was making me think my IE80s were crap. Then when I turn off the studio V and turn it back on, presto... Not sure what this is but Jack could you look into it? I think it may have something to do with that BTS button. But the thing is I don't want to hear beeps period...

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #170 of 830
While we're discussing STUDIO quirks:

When music is playing and I press a button: (example: to change the volume) there's a momentary 'click' sound or interruption in the music just like a skipping record player. This doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes. It's very irritating. (I am not speaking of a long button press which will pause the player, just a momentary 'wake-up' press, used to adjust the volume.)

Anybody else have this 'issue'?

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #171 of 830

Quote:
While we're discussing STUDIO quirks:

When music is playing and I press a button: (example: to change the volume) there's a momentary 'click' sound or interruption in the music just like a skipping record player. This doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes. It's very irritating. (I am not speaking of a long button press which will pause the player, just a momentary 'wake-up' press, used to adjust the volume.)

Anybody else have this 'issue'?

+1. I am also having that issue and it is irritating as well. Its like you are using the player too fast lol. So I tend to try and avoid this by taking my time when changing the volume... :p

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #172 of 830

Quote:
+1. I am also having that issue and it is irritating as well. Its like you are using the player too fast lol. So I tend to try and avoid this by taking my time when changing the volume... :p

It's not the speed of the button push, it's actually the very first push if I haven't touched it for a while. It is strange...it's like it gets startled 'cause I'm asking it to do something. Once it 'clicks', it doesn't do it again for awhile, but eventually it nods off and then next time I touch it.....'click'....lol

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #173 of 830

Quote:
It's not the speed of the button push, it's actually the very first push if I haven't touched it for a while. It is strange...it's like it gets startled 'cause I'm asking it to do something. Once it 'clicks', it doesn't do it again for awhile, but eventually it nods off and then next time I touch it.....'click'....lol

Do you get clipping on some of your tracks? Not sure if this is due to the actual recordings but on certain tracks, (they tend to be tracks that are on the brighter side) I get clipping. Especially on tracks like Enya, Depeche Mode, etc. Not a hole lot of tracks but on some still...

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #174 of 830

Quote:
Do you get clipping on some of your tracks?

Hmmm? Haven't noticed that (yet?). Is the clipping subtle or is it noisy like a 'clickity' sound? Is the clipping volume related, or not? Does it happen with different headphones? Does it happen with just headphones or only when other amps, etc., are also in the circuit?

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #175 of 830

Quote:

Hmmm? Haven't noticed that (yet?). Is the clipping subtle or is it noisy like a 'clickity' sound? Is the clipping volume related, or not? Does it happen with different headphones? Does it happen with just headphones or only when other amps, etc., are also in the circuit?

This is with my IE80s at volume around 12. This happens rarely but it seems to happen on certain tracks. I am thinking the amp may be clipping on some of these songs. Its a crackly click noise as you said and happens on higher notes more so in the treble and mid range areas.

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #176 of 830

Quote:
This is with my IE80s at volume around 12. This happens rarely but it seems to happen on certain tracks. I am thinking the amp may be clipping on some of these songs. Its a crackly click noise as you said and happens on higher notes more so in the treble and mid range areas.

I would not think the Studio would be anywhere near clipping @ volume 12. I listen regularly at 15-20 to all kinds of amp workout rock (Alter Bridge, Smile Empty Soul, etc.) and have never heard the slightest hint of clipping. Now, if you're also running another amp device inline, that could do something peculiar. I do recall hearing something strange when I had my ZO2 w/ my Studio. Not sure what was happening but it did remind me of clipping. Haven't tried it since though. Might have been my brain shorting out...scary..
basshead.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #177 of 830

Quote:
I would not think the Studio would be anywhere near clipping @ volume 12. I listen regularly at 15-20 to all kinds of amp workout rock (Alter Bridge, Smile Empty Soul, etc.) and have never heard the slightest hint of clipping. Now, if you're also running another amp device inline, that could do something peculiar. I do recall hearing something strange when I had my ZO2 w/ my Studio. Not sure what was happening but it did remind me of clipping. Haven't tried it since though. Might have been my brain shorting out...scary..
basshead.gif

Well I don't know what it is but it is a clear issue for me. Maybe I could send you some of the tracks that are exhibiting this as its only an issue on the studio V and not on any of my other sources...

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #179 of 830

Quote:
Well I don't know what it is but it is a clear issue for me. Maybe I could send you some of the tracks that are exhibiting this as its only an issue on the studio V and not on any of my other sources...

Any update on this? Is anyone else experiencing the clipping?

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #180 of 830

Quote:
Any update on this? Is anyone else experiencing the clipping?

I still get it on certain tracks. Not sure why this is but its there for me. The amp will also clip at times when I'm building up electricity in my body lol. Like cooking and such. That's in combination with my silver cable on my IE80s. I would actually like to send some of the tracks I'm having this issue with to other Studio V owners to confirm this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back