Hisoundaudio STUDIO-V Review
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #197 of 830

Quote:
Yes, but I've no knowledge of whether or not that makes any difference.

It very well could as I notice a difference between cables with this... Kinda like how I notice the sound of the FX700 is degraded when using the flimsy cable extender. The sound becomes duller using that extension. How irritating lol.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #198 of 830
Quote:
I am lovning mine. Im using it on the go with my Spiral Ear REF 5 - and I think it is a fantastic combo!

Is that the SE 5 way custom? So the impedance doesn't mess up the sound signature. I was told that the high impedance is an issue with BA drivers and the hiss is really bad?

No I don't have a problem with that:) there is a slight hiss, but I have really listen to hear it!

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #199 of 830

Quote:
No I don't have a problem with that:) there is a slight hiss, but I have really listen to hear it!

Well that sounds promising to prospective buyers. But there are others out there who hear it differently or have different issues. I'm sure this is based on the IEMs they have as well. So its not all cut clear and dry. Your millage will vary lol. But I can say I am extremely happy with my purchase and you'd have to fight me to the death to take my little gem away from me :wink:.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #200 of 830

Quote:
Well that sounds promising to prospective buyers. But there are others out there who hear it differently or have different issues. I'm sure this is based on the IEMs they have as well. So its not all cut clear and dry. Your millage will vary lol. But I can say I am extremely happy with my purchase and you'd have to fight me to the death to take my little gem away from me :wink:.

I totally agree :) It is a great player and I would choose it over Hifimans 60x any day!!
The REF 5 are not the most sensitive CIEM out there - so that has also got something to say. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #201 of 830

Quote:

That sounds promising. At least if I was to every get a pair of those beloved SE 5 way jewels I'd have a good source to pair with them on the go from the start :). I can only dream though lol. I've already committed to a buy (Heir 8A) and I think I'll be really happy with them once I get them.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #202 of 830

Quote:
It pairs well with phones that are more on the bassy and warm side. It gives them more detail. Now with headphones that are already bass light or very treble happy its not such a good pairing. I get irritated listening to my FX700 on it. I'm in a dilemma though... If I sell my 601 I most likely will sell my FX700 as not even the DX100 pairs as well with my FX700 as the Hifiman 601 does :frowning2:

i paired the v with my fx700...i didnt get much good results with it.
try with with an earbud, since earbuds are open and can render wider soundstage beautifully...like an mx980.
i think the fx700 is good enough for ipods or something like that.
i dont know...i didnt appreciate much the fx700 plus v pairing.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #203 of 830

Quote:
i paired the v with my fx700...i didnt get much good results with it.
try with with an earbud, since earbuds are open and can render wider soundstage beautifully...like an mx980.
i think the fx700 is good enough for ipods or something like that.
i dont know...i didnt appreciate much the fx700 plus v pairing.

Yeah I agree with you here. I didn't say I think the V pairs well with the FX700. The FX700 has too much treble emphasis as is and the V makes it even more treble happy. The IE80 pairs very nicely with the V though.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #204 of 830
Do current owners still recommend the studio-v?

Yes, but if I were to choose between this and the HM602 then I will have no comment. Thw two of them have different sound signature and they suit different types of headphone, IEM or earbud.

One thing for sure, having this and Senn Mx980 made the call for my earbud journey

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #205 of 830
the studio v is one of the best sounding dap in the market right now.
looking for unbelievable soundstage and instrument separation in your music? with a lot of details in neutral sig? the studio v it is.

ipods, walkmans, cowons, they all sounded digital to me.
the studio v just beats it.
in the sq department.
with very limited spaces/soundstages, but with lots of neat features that i really dont need in my music such as games, colored lcds, touchscreen, fm stations...

actually...what ive been looking for in a dap is something small that could play bigger and lossless files.
something that could provide my needs.
what i really hate in the studio is the price.
that alone.
the UI is very fine with me.
i can live with it.
its not buggy or anything. 

its not smooth.
its just neutral without the warmth of the imods sound.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #206 of 830
i think...the studio v is bass light.
its more focused on the mids and highs.

guys, if you have an extra moolah, and you want to try something good and looking for a can...
you should try the PHILIPS SHL5500.
this pairs very well.

the shl sounds sweet and warm without exaggeration in the bass or mids.
its like a an fx700 and sm3 hybrid sound.

pairs made in heaven.
HEH!

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #207 of 830
"i think...the studio v is bass light.
its more focused on the mids and highs." by pinoyman

I did a very careful A/B with my GR07 with the STudio V and 601 and 601/UHA4.   I found the bass on the V the same, not less, as the 601 and the 601/4.  What I did find different was 40-50% more transparency and clarity of the V in mids and highs over the 601 or 601/4.   The UHA4 brought out the mids and highs more on the 601, however, not quite as transparent and clear as the Studio V.  

I posted earlier that Average Joe found the V to sound like a "bunch of snakes" even with BA firmware and his JH16.   I have found the same thing, the hiss is very noticable with the JH5(it sounds like tape hiss)  plus I find with careful A/B between the 601/4 and StudioV that with BA firmware the V is slightly too bright for me.   I have ordered a 10 ohm impedence adapter(based on Jerry Harvey and Average Joes recommendations to see how that affects the Studio V with the JH5.   They each said anything higher than 10 ohm can  degrade the sound.   If that doesn't help, I will concur with AverageJoe that at least for me, the Studio V is great with dynamics but not for BA's without significant mods. (Annaxilus is using op amp 209 rather than the standard 8610 in his UHA6 which he finds more transparent, and while I have the UHA4 I might get the 209 if I can't get the V to sound better with my newly finally arrived JH5.)

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #208 of 830
I agree but it depends on the BA, At 118db abd 18 ohms, the JH16 are twice as efficient and 1/2 the impedance of most BAs. Something like a Phonak 112 works fine. I'm sure there's also Dynamic IEMs that will be too efficient. Not a BA vs dynamic thing, just a general matching issue. I don't find it a big deal with the RoCoo but I probably would expect better in the Studio V price point where you're more likely to use customs etc.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #209 of 830
Thanks for your opinion, I always appreciate opinions of old timers!!   I agree that for the price the V should be more flexible with extremely efficient
IEMS, the 601 appears to be, but I've only used it with the DBA/B2, GR07.   You may want to pm Average Joe on the BA/Dynamic opinion.  Funny, you have the Rocco and he ended up contacting Jack and swapping his V for the Rocco, and apparently the snake problem is gone, but other problems are coming up.   Jack lied to me on a pm regarding Average Joe's concerns and on this site to iethan's comments  when he said there was no "hiss" problem with the V with BA/extremely efficient IEMS.   I am asking Jack right now to be honest on this thread and explain the problems with "hiss" besides offering his impedence adapter.   There should be a firmware answer to this problem for the Studio V.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #210 of 830

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion, I always appreciate opinions of old timers!!   I agree that for the price the V should be more flexible with extremely efficient
IEMS, the 601 appears to be, but I've only used it with the DBA/B2, GR07.   You may want to pm Average Joe on the BA/Dynamic opinion.  Funny, you have the Rocco and he ended up contacting Jack and swapping his V for the Rocco, and apparently the snake problem is gone, but other problems are coming up.   Jack lied to me on a pm regarding Average Joe's concerns and on this site to iethan's comments  when he said there was no "hiss" problem with the V with BA/extremely efficient IEMS.   I am asking Jack right now to be honest on this thread and explain the problems with "hiss" besides offering his impedence adapter.   There should be a firmware answer to this problem for the Studio V.

75 Ohm adapter took the life out of music; 'hiss' was largely gone.
35 Ohm adapter dulled the music; lesser, but still 'hiss'. (may or may not be bothersome.)
10 Ohm adapter? I am curious how much difference it will make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back