Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Dec 23, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #841 of 1,483
  The Studio V3 with the latest firmware was a PITA.  But roll it back to the stable version, and it's an absolute dream to use - basic, but no issues here.  Thanks again to Lee & Goodvibes for getting me back on track.  Absolutely no regrets getting it.

I'm surprised you didn't sell it having that pos firmware on there :wink:. I would have slammed it against the wall if I was stuck with that lol. :p

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #842 of 1,483
  I'm surprised you didn't sell it having that pos firmware on there :wink:. I would have slammed it against the wall if I was stuck with that lol. :p

I'm glad I stuck with it in the end.  Goes everywhere with me now :)

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #843 of 1,483

I'm glad I stuck with it in the end.  Goes everywhere with me now :)

I no longer have my Studio but I still do have my BA and it is the most convenient piece of gear I've had thus far in terms of portability. A totally carefree unit and a looker at that :).

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #844 of 1,483
  Well thank you for your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

As far as UI, can you say anything about that? I've heard that the Studio is kind of hard to use, while the DX100 can be a bit buggy at times.

The hisound players can take a little getting used to at first to become comfortable with, but they're not 'hard' to use - in fact, the straightforward design makes them fairly easy to use, nothing to be overwhelmed by.  At the beginning, yes, you will probably find that you accidentally shut the player off when trying to get back to the menu, but you'll get more comfortable with the timing on that.

Also, displaying only 3 lines of items at a time (folder listing) is a little annoying for some, but as long as you know what's on your player it's not an issue.

Bringing my Studio to a friend's place and connecting it as a source tends to be rather fun as it's hard for them to get any real idea of what I have on their unless they scroll through everything.

I had a friend come and pay me a visit recently and I let him try out my portable system - I left him with it for a few minutes and found he was listening to a different album, he told me: "I was a little perplexed, but I figured it out." It does have that sort of intuitive interface.

One thing is for sure, you wont get yourself into any 'software' trouble with the Studio or Rocoo players...they're just not complicated enough to get you lost in menus/sub-menus without knowing how to get out.

I haven't tried a DX100, but I do have a DX50, and it has more than I really want in a DAP.  When menus change depending on where you are in terms of navigation/play, I get a little annoyed.

Best of luck on the decision!

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #845 of 1,483

And it still would of survived. :p (unless in your hands) :wink:

Here's mine in all it's glory, I absolutely love it with my RDB, I have to take it in small doses because it's just to much fun!

You can see that little nick in the upper left besides the screen, where you abused it as per usual. Mr audio gear assassin. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #846 of 1,483

I would have slammed it against the wall if I was stuck with that lol. :p

And it still would of survived. :p

There's another good point to make - I really don't think I can damage this player.  I've had every issue possible with it (purchased it used, so I guess that's what I deserve), and ended up having to re-solder two of the points between the USB port and the board.

Compared to any device with a touch-screen and delicate little switches/dials, I really do feel that this player can take a lickin'.  Be that as it may, I now fully intend to treat her (*ahem* 'it') right.

Has anyone here considered purchasing one of the black aluminum housings that were up for sale in the buy/sell/trade forum a while back?  I thought about it...but I like how my player matches my silver headphone amp right now.  Might be good to have a spare housing in case of real bang-up emergencies though.  From what I recall they were a really good price.  I'm going to go hunt for that link again...

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #847 of 1,483
Here's the link, BTW:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642771/fs-hisound-studio-v-replacement-parts

For anyone who wants to go black, or any who really need a polish-up.  Please note: removing the board from the housing can be a bit tricky as I'm pretty sure the USB port is soldered onto the board after it's installed in the housing.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #848 of 1,483
I've seen that link floating around for a while, however because I've owned the black model for a while now (2nd Edition) I'm fairly content with my gold version as a fresh change. 
tongue.gif
 What I would like to look into however is  shipping my Rocco BA to Jack and see if we can put the BA board into a Studio V casing with > Studio V battery. One Rocco BA with 80 hour run times would be more than welcome. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #849 of 1,483
  I've seen that link floating around for a while, however because I've owned the black model for a while now (2nd Edition) I'm fairly content with my gold version as a fresh change. 
tongue.gif
 What I would like to look into however is  shipping my Rocco BA to Jack and see if we can put the BA board into a Studio V casing with > Studio V battery. One Rocco BA with 80 hour run times would be more than welcome. 

I had a Rocoo BA as well and considered putting it in a Studio V case, and I'm pretty sure it would be doable (would depend on how the board in the BA is secured and where the ports sit), but I'm not sure if the power handling of the BA is so similar that it would be an easy switch for the battery.

The battery on the Studio looks easy enough to replace, and I've considered purchasing a replacement for it for the future.  Again, it's more about how it fits in the housing than anything else - the Studio battery's specs should be easy enough to find online....sizing might just be the issue there.  In terms of installation, the board doesn't have to be removed to replace the battery, so it should be pretty straightforward as long as you have a soldering iron with a nice, small tip.

I might do some hunting now and see what I can come up with.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #850 of 1,483
I'd be interested seeing if you can track down a battery for the studio, I'd like to bookmark it, mine are both rather healthy atm. I also wonder about the power input of the two, I'm just assuming though the studio and Rocco take the same voltage only the studio takes a whopping capacity in mAH, 12 hour charge times don't lie.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #851 of 1,483
I'd be interested seeing if you can track down a battery for the studio, I'd like to bookmark it, mine are both rather healthy atm. I also wonder about the power input of the two, I'm just assuming though the studio and Rocco take the same voltage only the studio takes a whopping capacity in mAH, 12 hour charge times don't lie.

Here are the exact specs on the hisound Studio V 3rd Anv. Battery:

Power: 3.7V 2000mAh
Dimensions: 65mm x 37mm x 6.5mm (measured size)

The length of the battery can be up to 74mm. Width could be moved up to 39mm at most. Thickness of the batter (6.5mm) cannot exceed this size, but could go narrower and just add some padding to prevent movement.

I'm pouring over eBay listings for something that might work. I'll let you know if I find anything (I'm limited to those sellers who would ship to Canada.)

Best,

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #852 of 1,483
Well, here's the closest thing I've found so far:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Customize-Polymer-Li-Ion-Battery-Pack-3.7V-800mAh-2.96wh---UN-Approved.aspx

I'm not the most familiar with all of this, so I wouldn't go ahead and buy one to install before talking to someone who could assure you/all of us that swapping out the existing battery for this would actually get the job done.

Anyone here have any ideas?

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #853 of 1,483
If you try something like that, make sure to insulate if the battery has a metal case. Any Li-ion with the correct voltage should work. I wouldn't ask Jack to make a custom BA. It will cost him more to one up it than just make another A3. Buy a case in the sell forum or find an older studio to salvage.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #854 of 1,483
  If you try something like that, make sure to insulate if the battery has a metal case. Any Li-ion with the correct voltage should work. I wouldn't ask Jack to make a custom BA. It will cost him more to one up it than just make another A3. Buy a case in the sell forum or find an older studio to salvage.

Heh, that was my thought as well.  I never opened up my Rocoo before I ended up selling it, but I imagine it would be possible to to do.

I'll most likely replace the battery in my Studio at some point - I'll be sure to post a thread with some instructions when I end up going through that.

I don't know if some Li-ion batteries are structured differently than others, or if some have more longevity (ie recharge cycles - the one I posted above lists 300+ recharges.)

Anyhow, might be a good project, and with everything I've put that player through, it would probably be a good idea.

H20Fi,

Let me know if you end up going through the process and what battery you land on.

Best,

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #855 of 1,483
  Well, here's the closest thing I've found so far:

http://www.batteryspace.com/Customize-Polymer-Li-Ion-Battery-Pack-3.7V-800mAh-2.96wh---UN-Approved.aspx

Just to note: this one is a 800mAh battery, so...yeah...not sure why I posted this - I was in a rush and it was listed under a category that led me to initially believe it was 2000mAh.

Anyhow, just wanted to make sure nobody buys that one - I'm going to keep looking around.  Do you think it would be easier to just ask Jack if we could purchase a replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back