Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
May 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #136 of 1,483
Quote:
Yeah, I don't get it either. I like using JRiver's player, but maybe I'm better off dragging music? That would really mess up track labels, though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well I don't have issues using Media Monkey to sync my music. All my folders show up in the proper area and my music works fine. I suggest you try and delete the "system" folder from the internal memory and see if that is your problem. When you load a bunch of new tracks you need to do this each time so that the unit will properly re-index your files. This may help them show up properly. I hope that helps.

I also have a guide on how to clean your tags via mp3tag. I'll post that for you below.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/mp3tag-setup-guide

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #138 of 1,483
Quote:
Is there a big diff between normal studio v and 3rd anv version? If there is is it worth it?

It's been described before. The 3rd ANV is an overall improvement over the original. Better treble quality, more natural and open bass, a slightly bigger sound stage, slightly more powerful. More transparency and best of all 70 to 75% reduction in hiss IMO which was the biggest plus for me. Both units sound superb in terms of sound quality alone. But factor in there being a lot more hiss on the second edition unit it detracts from that sound quality. So I found it worth it most definitely.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #139 of 1,483
Review of the Hisoundaudio 3rd Anv. 

For the last few days I have had the pleasure of listening to the Hisoundaudio 3rd Anv. Well pleasure doesn't sum it up, it is a very enjoyable and musical instrument. I am not going to belabor my summation of what I hear with hyperbole and gushing enthusiasm. Simply put, the Anv 3 does musically what most all daps should strive to do, play music and if recorded correctly, play it so that are not left wanting something more and you forget that are often wishing for more. You get it with the Anv 3. It is transparent, as transparent as anything I have heard and beautifully layered. Imaging is not bloated nor too narrow. Somehow they got this aspect right on. 

Bass foundation does not drag down the lower mids nor overpower any other aspect of the frequency range and is taught and fast. I mention bass because so often, it is the easiest to get wrong, at least in my experience and can be so pronounced in being wrong. Extension of the high frequencies is there with no hint of grain or glare. The mid frequencies shine. Such a presence and projection and body to voice and instrument, for me, it captures the expression of the music I am hearing. 

The UI is about as simple as it could be and from there, if less, you wouldn't need a screen. Some may want more, some artwork or just a bigger screen but frankly it serves its purpose and to me, that is all I want. Five buttons will do the navigation for you. And while I don't always get the center button correct, there is a learning curve, I still like the simplicity. 

A crazy aspect of the Anv 3 is the run time. You could go across the Pacific or Atlantic a couple of times and not need to charge this thing and even then all it needs is a USB. I mean it runs and runs. I have had it on all day today and all 4 bars are still showing. The 80 hours, though I have not tested it, seems to be a valid figure. I have no idea how they get the sound and volume out of this little beast and still get such a long run time. 

The case, well as you most likely have read elsewhere, it is solid and seems like a solid block of aluminum in an anodized light gold color, which I enjoy since most everything I have is black and I find the gold to be very classy looking. 

So there you have it. If you value sound, as I do, I don't think you will miss anything and have a lot to gain with the Anv 3. 

Phones used for listening:

ESW10 JPHN rewired with TWag v3 OM
JH13 Pro cabled with TWag v3 OM 

I use SanDisk cards, both 32gb and 64gb. 

Oh, I did try the Anv 3 with the new The Lightning fully balanced portable amp by RSA. The Lighting is the smallest balanced amp I know of and is almost exactly the same size as the Anv 3.  It is one of the best portable amps I have ever heard and the transparency of the Anv 3 worked fantastic with The Lightning. Using the headphone out is like a line out. I could hear no degradation to the sound and enjoyed the balanced sound the amp provides. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #140 of 1,483
Wow Jamato very nice review/impressions. Initially I was thinking you weren't gonna like the sound of the player. I'm glad you've grown to like it. So do you think it's worth owning (asking you personally).

To answer your question earlier about the volume. It seems you can induce a lower gain somehow on the player randomly. I think its maybe every 3rd restart that exhibits this (noticeably lower volume). The sound is different due to this IMO.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #141 of 1,483
Nice review Jamato, very straight and to the point. Thumbs up!

For me, the Studio is hard to beat at what it does so well, portability!

It is a great grab and go dap, solid build, VERY good sound, looong battery life, flac player, and works well with 64gb micro sd cards. 

Around the house or at work, I do grab my newly aquired Meier Quickstep amp which greatly enhances the Studio without taking anything away, but it really does do extremely well all by it's own.

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #142 of 1,483
I have my 64 GB cards up for grabs if anyone interested :p. I find the 32 GB cards to sound better on both the AK120 and Studio V using WAV. :)

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #143 of 1,483
Quote:
Wow Jamato very nice review/impressions. Initially I was thinking you weren't gonna like the sound of the player. I'm glad you've grown to like it. So do you think it's worth owning (asking you personally).

To answer your question earlier about the volume. It seems you can induce a lower gain somehow on the player randomly. I think its maybe every 3rd restart that exhibits this (noticeably lower volume). The sound is different due to this IMO.

Yes I would recommend it, great sound, very compact player, forever on one charge. Great fun to be honest. 
Quote:
Nice review Jamato, very straight and to the point. Thumbs up!

For me, the Studio is hard to beat at what it does so well, portability!

It is a great grab and go dap, solid build, VERY good sound, looong battery life, flac player, and works well with 64gb micro sd cards. 

Around the house or at work, I do grab my newly aquired Meier Quickstep amp which greatly enhances the Studio without taking anything away, but it really does do extremely well all by it's own.

NIce phones. Bet they really come to life with the 3rd Anv. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #144 of 1,483
Quote:
NIce phones. Bet they really come to life with the 3rd Anv. 

Thanks!

I actually have a love/hate relationship with the Rs1's. Right here, right now...they sound pretty great with the Studio and Quickstep combo.

Like the song says, "if you can't be with the one you love, Love the one you're with!"
size]

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #145 of 1,483
I ordered my Studio V 3rd Anniversary last week and was wondering in order to use the 64gig Microsd class 10 card that I have, do I have to format to fat32 and if so, what software do you recommend?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #146 of 1,483
You can use the link below to format to FAT32. Your 64 GB cards will work.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #149 of 1,483
Quote:
hi, Headfier:

We will release the latest firmware of Studio 3 Anv soon. Then the 3 anv. will be more stable. Please keep an eye to the update news here.Thanks.

Can you tell us if the new firmware will be quieter with less hiss ??  That would be really great news.

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #150 of 1,483
Quote:
hi, Headfier:

We will release the latest firmware of Studio 3 Anv soon. Then the 3 anv. will be more stable. Please keep an eye to the update news here.Thanks.

This made my day.
Really excited about the new firmware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back