Hisound BA100 IEM Appreciation Thread.
Oct 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #181 of 240
  Well said. This is my first official review, so I really appreciate the feedback. Of course, I'll try tip rolling, different sources, give them a week, etc. But if anyone has any more suggestions, keep them coming.

In your review, give a preamble so that others can see a baseline of what your individual preferences are.

EG - here was mine for the BA100:

Preamble - 'about me'.   (This is to give any readers a baseline for interpreting the review).
I'm a 46 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile - just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current mid-fi set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (i-devices) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HP).  My main headphones at the time of writing are the Shure SRH1840, Senn HD600, AKG K702, Shure SRH840 and Shure SE535 Ltd Ed. IEMs. I have auditioned quite a few entry and mid-tier cans, but have yet to hear/own any flagships other than the SRH1840 (at current time of writing this review).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz to grunge and hard-rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced - with a slight emphasis on the mid-range.  I am neither a bass or treble head (you could argue that I do like clarity though).  Current amps = NFB12 and LD MKIV.  I also formerly owned several portable amps - the most notable being an Arrow 4G and GoVibe PortaTube.

For the purposes of this review - I used the HSA BA100 straight from the headphone out socket of both my iPhone 4 and iPod Touch G4.  I did not bother with amping them, as IMO they do not require an amp – and the likelihood is that HiSound have targeted them toward an audience who may not use additional amping anyway.  By now I have probably notched up around 30-40 hours listening on the BA100.  In that time I have noticed no change to the overall sonic presentation (I do not believe in 'night and day' burn-in).  I will allow that the more time I've have spent with these IEM's, the better they continue to sound to me.  Personally I think this is brain burn in - but I will respect others choice if they interpret this as physical burn-in.

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

It just gives everyone an idea of any personal preferences which may influence your own subjective experience.

And try to list both strengths and weaknesses as best you can.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #182 of 240

Although I don't wholly agree that this is the worst thing I've heard for >= $50 or have any build quality QC issues, I can see where the whole "artificial" think keanex is coming from. Initial AB'ing with the RE400 makes the BA100 sound quite artificial, but this is just my out of the box impression. I don't believe in burn/break-in, especially not for BA's, but I'll post my review after a week to satisfy those who believe in burn/break-in.

I have to agree with Brooko. Also consider synergy in this case. I never found any of my IEMs to sound natural on the O2 amp as is. I disagree on it being color free. Because it very much has its own coloration to the sound. It's sound staging is very narrow and stretched thin without much depth at all. It is a very aggressive and dry amp (more emphasis on lower treble and upper mids area). Still it is a good amp IMO but nothing like it was made out to be from the hype-train. I sold it in the end and kept the Tralucent T1 and UHA6 MKII (for a while, then that was later replaced by the Triad L3 for desktop usage). Once in a while though for Rock music I really did like the amp. But got fatigued after 3 or 4 songs...

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #183 of 240

You're right I came off harshly, for that I apologize. I must say though, that I felt my time wasted due to poor quality control. I'm not sure if that quality I hear, outside of the distortion, is what you guys are hearing, but compared to the many IEMs under $50 that I've heard, these are nothing I would recommend. Maybe you guys are hearing something else though.

Congratulations, you now join me on the HSA blacklist!
In my case I gave short of 3 stars (2.5 stars) rating for a review
rolleyes.gif
(and I was nit picking on stuff like... how come official pictures have lime green and blue ear tips, but the real product has none of it?) but hey, the samples all come from HSA's own funds. They'll deny whoever they don't like or want. Free or half-price review alike. I was going to grab a pair off Noisy Motel but now it sounds as if HSA may even deny warranty in case that one is faulty. Hope that ain't the case, cause might order tomorrow or just forget it. A certain someone is tickling my DIY project again so might just go that way...

Though based on that FR graph posted earlier in this thread, I'm not entirely surprised it sounds bizarre to you. Like Brooko said it would take some getting used to. You can imagine when I first got my KH-C701 (IMO probably somewhat similar sounding to the BA100 based on graph vs. personal impressions... I could be super wrong don't quote me on this) after my TDK BA200 it was day and night difference. Couldn't handle them. Lent my TDKs out for a week now, gotta say I'm loving the C701 a whole lot more. It's not warm, but it's clarity like none else without being harsh.

Then again I shouldn't doubt your call on distortion being actual distortion and not just things sounding warped due to very different sound signature from what we're acquainted to. If your case doesn't get solved, would I be able to borrow them off you, me paying postage both ways?

Suggestion - to give them a fair shot (which is what I do when reviewing)

Listen to them, and only the BA100 for approx 2-3 days.

This.
Get familiarized with them first, then go back to make comparison to your usual kicker. You might start noticing things on the RE400 you've never noticed before :D

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #184 of 240

Although I don't wholly agree that this is the worst thing I've heard for >= $50 or have any build quality QC issues, I can see where the whole "artificial" think keanex is coming from. Initial AB'ing with the RE400 makes the BA100 sound quite artificial, but this is just my out of the box impression. I don't believe in burn/break-in, especially not for BA's, but I'll post my review after a week to satisfy those who believe in burn/break-in.

The O2 thing was from an owner that had one and found the issue on his V'-modas. Doesn't mean it will have the same problem on everything. Glad it's working.

Tip placement is important. Mine came with the tips pushed all the way down the nozzle stem. pull them to the groove at the very tip and I think you'll have a different Idea about their balance. I didn't care for them with the tips at their bases either but like them with the tips forward. If you have double flange tips, try those as well but in that case pushed down to the base of the nozzle to make up for the extra length. My fav tip has been the TF10 double. Other doubles haven't been as good.

The lower mids/upper bass is sensitive to tip placement and is too elevated with the tips at the base but it's a very easy thing to get right since there's an actual grove to secure the tips near the tip end on the nozzle. I suspect it's there for a reason.
wink_face.gif
 I think some are evaluating them as they come packaged without (IMO) the tips installed correctly. At least that's how mine came. I know some will ask why they come this way instead of more forward but come on, they're tips and fit the packaging this way. How many preferred IEMs do we have here that members wont even use the stock tips on? We've had numerous page threads strictly dedicated to tip rolling on the B2 and GR07.

I feel that commenting on the sound of a universal by pulling them out of the box and giving a quick listen without a bit more experimentation is likely premature. All IEMs are a set of compromises that may or may not suit a particular individual. You may ultimately not like them but I suspect you'll think better of them with a bit of time..

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #185 of 240
Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll definitely experiment to find what I prefer most from the BA100. That, and I'll give ~1 week exclusive head time for the BA100 to make fair comparisons. As for goodvibes' comments, my BA100 came with the tips at the outer groove and not all the way in, but again, I'll be sure to try different tips, sources, tip placement, etc.

Initial impressions are good so far though, so no worries here.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #187 of 240
In case anyone is wondering, there are two different revisions of BA100. The new version has two places for the tip to sit, and brass inside the tip. It also has only one vent hole per ear. The older version, which you might find if you buy off Ebay, has a shorter tip with only one slot, and three vent holes. The cables are also a bit different between revisions.

If you buy directly from Jack, he'll send the newest model, which I gather has a better low end.

Also, did anyone else get a pair of foam tips with their order?

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #188 of 240
  In case anyone is wondering, there are two different revisions of BA100. The new version has two places for the tip to sit, and brass inside the tip. It also has only one vent hole per ear. The older version, which you might find if you buy off Ebay, has a shorter tip with only one slot, and three vent holes. The cables are also a bit different between revisions.

If you buy directly from Jack, he'll send the newest model, which I gather has a better low end.

Yea, my pair is the new one and came with a pair of foam tips (pretty good I must say, feels like a better version of the Shure olives). 

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #191 of 240
  I had trouble getting the foam tips past the first depression on the nozzle. 

I did a half-assed attempt at shoving them down the giant notch and concluded that it's not possible without damaging the tips/IEM. However, the foam tips sound great at the first notch for me anyway so I figured I would be fine.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #192 of 240

I don't think that's entirely correct but I can't be sure. Mine came without foam and have the 3 vent depressions. However, only one of the vents depressions is actually open and they have this same nozzle so the 2 versions should be functionally identical.

Here's some pics I found of what you're describing as the later version. Mine look identical other than a sealed dimple on either side of the open rear vent. Mine are on the bottom with 3 depressions.

I know that there's been promo pics with 3 open vents in the back but I haven't read of anyone receiving them that way. How influential that may be is also relative to how much resistance a single vent still has. If negligible, more wont make any difference. If noticeable it does. I mention it because the vent in the BA itself will very likely be smaller though that doesn't necessarily mean more venting in the case can't still affect things but it may not.

In any case, if someone here has a different looking nozzle or more than 1 open vent, please let us know. Otherwise, they should all be representative.

You reported 3 vents. Could you look closer to see if all are functional (open) and not just cosmetic. If they are all open, which I suspect is not the case, close the outer 2 with tape etc and let us know if there's a difference.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #193 of 240
I don't have pictures showing the vents, but all three were open. The nozzle length and design as well as cable were quite different as well.
http://imgur.com/a/riZzr
Also, I don't have this version any more (sent it back for the new revision) but Jack tells me it has less bass and possibly better treble.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #194 of 240
Hmph weird, mine came with no foam tips and it only has one vent hole open. Your nozzle is quite different from mine too. Maybe HiSound recently decided to drop the foam tips?

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #195 of 240
Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I've had two versions of the BA100, I posted pictures of the earlier version to show what it looks like but the one I have now, that came with foam tips, is the newer revision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back