Hippo VB or Atrio M8?
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

iBud destroyer

New Head-Fier
After much deliberation I've narrowed my choices down to the Hippo VB or Atrio M8. I like a smooth, musical sound which I can get lost in. I also like strong bass. I am sensitive to sibilance so I am hesitant to buy the Hippo VB. From what I've read, the Atrio M8 is like a smooth Hippo VB. What would your recommendation be between these two?

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
After much deliberation I've narrowed my choices down to the Hippo VB or Atrio M8. I like a smooth, musical sound which I can get lost in. I also like strong bass. I am sensitive to sibilance so I am hesitant to buy the Hippo VB. From what I've read, the Atrio M8 is like a smooth Hippo VB. What would your recommendation be between these two?

The new Atrios have no sibilance and are very smooth. I certainly felt that they had a sound I really enjoyed listening to. They also have excellent build quality and come from a company with excellent customer service.

The Hippos have some build quality issues, so you'll get what you pay for.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 15
I have not heard Hippo VB's, so I can't speak for those...

...but the Atrios were my first high-quality phones, and I didn't understand what the term "sibilance" even meant until I started branching out to other phones.  They are quite warm and have one of the most technically proficient low-ends that you can find.

One of these days I'll have to get my hands on a pair of Hippo VB to listen to, I hear them come up all the time within the context of basshead IEM's but I can't imagine them out-bass'ing the Atrios.

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 15
That's surprising. The metal body of the Hippo VB looked much sturdier than the plastic Atrio. Do you think the Atrio is still a smart buy in 2011? Is there anything else for a similar price which outperforms the Atrio without sibilance issues?

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 15
 It's not just about the body. The cable fails all the time, or the connection in the body. The other earphone that reminds me very much of Atrio is the new Sonomax SoundCage, but it won't be released till spring. I reckon it is very similar to the Atrio, if not harboring even more low notes in its bowels. It uses the same or very similar cable, too. It is a 4-minute custom that I have a few strong reservations about, but it sounds soft, low, fun, and soothing with no hint of treble sibilance. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 15
I haven't owned the Hippo VB so i can't comment. But having owned the Atrios before, i can say that if you crave bass you won't be disappointed ! They really have the "kick" to get you moving. And very smooth as well. Just one thing to look out for is the fit of the Atrios, they are really picky on fitting so a learning curve is needed to find the sweet spot.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 15
No, it isn't a DIY. I'll blog about it today at TMA. Anyway, it is a kit that straps to your head like a Minority Report brain dead thingy. You sit there in front of a rep (at a distributor) and they click two buttons and the mould injects into your ears, filling little balloons in the earphone tips. That expands and in four minutes, you click the earphones off the frame and have bass monsters that should fit your ears. You'll see in my report. I got a pair from CES. Pretty cool, some issues, though.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 15
You buy it at a distributor, not personally. That way, some errors are eliminated. They don't sell direct to end users, but through their shops and dealers. That may change, but currently, it is only sold that way, or is planned to be sold that way. Good idea, I think, but limiting. I've still got them in my ears and I keep wondering if the driver isn't the same or very similar as that in the Atrio as it really really sounds the same and seems to use the same cable and fits into the ear at the same angle. I really wonder.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
You buy it at a distributor, not personally. That way, some errors are eliminated. They don't sell direct to end users, but through their shops and dealers. That may change, but currently, it is only sold that way, or is planned to be sold that way. Good idea, I think, but limiting. I've still got them in my ears and I keep wondering if the driver isn't the same or very similar as that in the Atrio as it really really sounds the same and seems to use the same cable and fits into the ear at the same angle. I really wonder.

Don't quote me on this, but I *think* Future Sonics manufacturers their drivers themselves in-house.  Based on that, it would be unlikely that they'd share with some other company, but again, I could be wrong.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 15
I have no idea either, but there are SO many similarities, even the repressed vocals in comparison to low and high bass. For electronic (slow) and instrumental music, this is an amazing sounding earphone, but if you cherish vocals (male or female), it kind of loses out. The M5 I had years ago was the same way, though the bass may not have been as strong as it is on the Sonomax. In the end, I tore off the custom tips as they didn't fit on the right ear. I stretched some Monster tips over the end and I am in bass hog heaven.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 15
One last question. After so much research (3 weeks), I would rather buy one expensive IEM than end up with several cheaper ones. Since Hippo VB has sub bass, Eterna has mid-bass, what is a more expensive IEM which has both sub and mid bass, as well as a "musical" sound signature? Would it be the Klipsch X10 or the IE8, or something else? I'm prepared to spend a bit more on an IEM if it outplays the cheaper IEMs.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #15 of 15
Miles Davis Tribute or Monster Turbine Golds, IE8s have a load of midbass but it's subbass doesn't compare to the MDs or even the Monster Golds from what I remember of them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back