Hippo VB Canal Phones
Nov 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #46 of 92
dfkt: Which UE tips are you using with these? The Bi-Flange or the single?

Also, if its not too much to ask, could I get a picture of them next to another earphone, like the RE0, to compare size?

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #47 of 92
Where can you purchase the Hippo VB in the usa?

Let me apologize if I haven't looked carefully enough and there is mention of where to buy! I couldn't find it.

I'd like to try these, the only other ones I tried where the RE1, and I didn't like them but daughter did. Time to try another IEM--it sounds like a good one.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #48 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1356 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dfkt: Which UE tips are you using with these? The Bi-Flange or the single?

Also, if its not too much to ask, could I get a picture of them next to another earphone, like the RE0, to compare size?

Thanks!

33codpt.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can you purchase the Hippo VB in the usa?

Let me apologize if I haven't looked carefully enough and there is mention of where to buy! I couldn't find it.

Uncle Wilson's Superstore - Where you can find your sound

Nov 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #50 of 92
Ah, just as I feared. Judging from that picture, the shape and size of the VBs are very similar to the Denon C551. The C551s gave me sealing issues in the past and were uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time because they were a tad too long.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #51 of 92
If anyone wants to know how the VBs bass compares to the Atrios, I would stick with the Atrios. So far I have done the necessary burn in for the VBs and the bass isn't as good as the Atrios. But what I like about the VBs is the clarity. I am waiting for my comply tips to come in for my VBs to see if it makes a difference, then I'll be back to post my response. Most likely I will be selling my Hippo VBs including the unused comply tips.

And the FiiO E5 doesn't do much to the VBs, but to the Atrios I really love it.
k701smile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #52 of 92
Has anyone else had any problems with the VB's?

What are Jaben like at aftersales support?

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #53 of 92
Jaben is a really great great store, if you could visit in singapore that would be good
smily_headphones1.gif
anyway the customer service is top notch
biggrin.gif

don't worry IF your items break down, as long as its within the 1 yr warranty, jaben will replace for u. i sent my broken crossroads lbi from canada to singapore and i got them replaced with no problem.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #54 of 92
Yup, another testament to Uncle Wilson's amazing service. :)

I dont mind paying a little extra as I know Uncle Wilson wont let me down when it comes to customer satisfaction. He replaced my broken Crossroads LBi when I had lost the bill and sent me a replacement without me sending him the old earphones back ! (Exceptional case since shipping from India to Singapore via Indian post is pathetic and courier services like DHL costs a bomb).

Even when I bought an Amp3 + Crossroads Quattro, I was upgraded to a Woodie 2 for no extra charge (a SG$10 value at least).

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #55 of 92
^
lol i broke my Lbi too, send it back from canada to singapore with no receipt and i still get my replacement
smily_headphones1.gif

lucky you u get good deals when ur at jaben... when i was at jaben i didn't get any deals for my woody 2 D:

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #56 of 92
What can I say, but I had a small problem and Jaben came to the rescue with the blue lights flashing this morning. Wonderful.

I am so impressed.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #57 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilgameshx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone wants to know how the VBs bass compares to the Atrios, I would stick with the Atrios. So far I have done the necessary burn in for the VBs and the bass isn't as good as the Atrios. But what I like about the VBs is the clarity. I am waiting for my comply tips to come in for my VBs to see if it makes a difference, then I'll be back to post my response. Most likely I will be selling my Hippo VBs including the unused comply tips.

And the FiiO E5 doesn't do much to the VBs, but to the Atrios I really love it.
k701smile.gif

I love my Atrio's to but the VB's blow them out of the water. I was shocked when I got my VB's today and within minutes retired my Atrio's. This is without even proper burn in for the VB's.

The bass on the VB's even on the lowest bass disc is more than the Atrio's.

The package of the VB's have the bass rating backwards. The solid disc has the most bass the disc with 3 dots is the least bass. I'm using the middle one and it has much more bass impact and quality compared to the Atrio's.

Also the hippos destroy the Atrio's when it comes to highs and mids, there is so much more sound going on in these freq ranges compared to the Atrio's. The Vb's also have a much better fit for me and better seal then the Atrio's ever did.

Trust me I loved my Atrio's I even bought another pair of them when my first pair broke after about 6 months of use and they have been my main IEM for almost 2 years and I retired them within minutes of listening to the VB's.

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #58 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just got these from jaben for $98 singapore dollars with a fiio 3 thrown in. i have a feeling it is from crossroads or a spinoff, since it uses a 10mm 'mylar driver'.

some brief initial impressions.

body:
made of metal, nozzle is plastic. 3 screw-on plates are provided for screwing on to the butt of the buds to alter for more bass or for more treble. the bassiest plate make the sound pretty dark and narrow down the sound stage. the 'treblest' plate sounds more airy and more pronounced highs but less bass. i prefer the middle plate. the nozzle has nothing to cover it, so looking through the nozzle, you will see the driver grill inside the body.

the cable is the standard stuff for consumer grade phones. 3 sizes of silicone sleeves comes with it plus a circular semi hard case to hold the earphones.

sound:
sound is dependent on which plate is used. the plates used give pretty stark difference to the sound signature. it can range from dark and bassy to airy and bright.

i'm using the middle plate. overall i would say the sound tends to the warm side, not the cold analytical stuff like etys. bass is layered and not mashed up like poorer offerings. treble is good, cymbals sounds clear, maybe just lacking that bit of crystal sharpness. mids are present without overpowering or underwhelming. i guess i need to burn in more for a more accurate review. but its sounding pretty good out of the box so far.

the hippo vb is very good value for its price, probably the best one can buy in this price bracket.

Please can you tell me which plate does what because I'm confused (plate with no dots vs. plate with 1 dot, etc). The pictures on the box confuse me more. Also if I were to try the cotton mod, where would the cotton go? Would it go in the front where the sound is coming out or would it go in the back (remove the plate and put in the cotton)?

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #59 of 92
Put it in the front, in the nozzle, but dont push it too far down, it should stay in the "tubic" part and you should be able to pick it back out with twizzers or a pin easily. I would also advise you not to use cotton (seemed to overly muffle the sound) but a piece of foam that you would have cut from stock earbuds or headphones cushions that you dont use (or you can buy generic ibuds foams from lelong ebay to experiment with them). A very small square should be enough.

About the plates:
No dot : maximum bass
2 dots : medium bass
3 dots : minimum bass

The pictures on the box say it wrong

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #60 of 92
i just want to ask, who has better bass this Hippo VB or the Denon C710?

thank you ^__^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back