Hip Hop cans below 400 USD
May 21, 2011 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Parall3l

lƐllɐɹɐԀ
This is my first thread on head fi and i apologise if there is already a thread like this or if this is in the wrong place. Anyways, i'm thinking of buy'n my self some decent headphones and did some research here on head fi and some other sites. I listen mostly to mainstream hip hop and i like bass, and my current choices are:

beyerdynamic DT770 or DT 990 (i got no idea which has better bass)
AKG K 702 (i'm seeing mixed opinions on this one)
Ultrasone  HFi 2400 (The headroom frequency response graph looks as if it'll sound bloated)

I'll get some kind of portable amp/DAC with the cans (Price range around $200 looking at the ibasso D4 right now, any other suggestions would be awesome
regular_smile .gif

is my budget all wrong? should i go for a more expensive amp and get the AT M50S instead? 

i currently listen to low quality mp3s (mostly 192kbps) but i will improve my source when itunes get that 24 bit update (anyone know what kind of format will they use?)

i listen to music a couple of hours non stop so comfort is important, i don't plan to listen to the cans on the move (but i don't want to be stuck in my uncomfortable study forever either so i'd want the amps to be portable)

I also listen to music at a volume that is considered by my friends to be extremely soft. (we are all teenagers and i guess its just because they ruined their ears before i did)

the music will be stored on my macbook (perfect for music and the web, very disappointing for games
frown.gif
)

replacable battery for the amps would VERY nice

Thanks in advance

May 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd go with Ultrasones.

The DT 990s are open headphones and require a lot of amping if you get the good version.
AKG's aren't known for their bass.

Also, I'd get the FiiO E7.
The amp section is meh, but it does have a DAC. But if you get the right type of Ultrasones, a lot of them don't need full amping to sound amazing.

May 21, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 9
ok, so my choices are narrowed down to ultrasones (pro650 or hfi 2400) and something like the d4 from ibasso (costs slightly more but higher quality and a lot more portable than e9 + e7) or the fiio E7 (+E9 if i get some hard to drive cans later on)  E7 seems like a better choice because it is cheaper and lasts for 80+ hours (13x longer than my macbook ) the d4 would only last something like 4hrs on a standard 9v battery thats sold in the local supermarkets

May 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I listen mostly to mainstream hip hop and i like bass,

i currently listen to low quality mp3s (mostly 192kbps) but i will improve my source when itunes get that 24 bit update (anyone know what kind of format will they use?)

is my budget all wrong? should i go for a more expensive amp and get the AT M50S instead? 

i listen to music a couple of hours non stop so comfort is important, i don't plan to listen to the cans on the move (but i don't want to be stuck in my uncomfortable study forever either so i'd want the amps to be portable)

replacable battery for the amps would VERY nice

Gathering from what you want, here are a couple choices for you:

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 $166.97 (Amazon) 

http://www.headfonia.com/bass-to-the-power-of-two-pro700-mk2/

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-i-ve-finally-found-my-steak-and-potatos#post_7481954

I do not have any experience with this headphone!!!

ATH M50 $160 (Amazon) and below (For Sale area)

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/3/

Now this I do have experience with.  The m50 is the jack of all trades, master at none headphone.  It can do everything but can be outdone if you start singling  out music genres.  It has bass but it honestly is a proper amount of bass with a little extra added in the deeper level.  If you are used to sub-woofer bass, this might not cut it for you.  If you are used to ear-buds/ headphones that come stock from your mp3/cd/etc player the bass it brings is a welcome surprise.  I'm waiting for a supplement to the m50 at the moment that will allow me to have bass and let me adjust the quantity I want when I want depending on the song.

It's called the 

digiZoid ZO "portable subwoofer" $99 (Sharper Image)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

Like I said, I'm waiting for the "Zo" to come in so I can re-evaluate my headphones.  If it does what it says accordingly then I'm set.  I'll let you know how it goes.  =)

May 21, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 9
The thunderpants are the best hip-hop cans I have ever heard, they can be found used for about $400.
I don't think any of the other headphones mentioned compete.
Also do not buy the k702 or k701 you will be sorely disappointed.

May 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd go with Shure SRH 840/940. They are warm, have a pronounced bass and voices aren't too recessed.

I'm a big Ultrasone fan, but you have to like their special presentation, which might take some time. I also think that they have too much energy (fast attack, short decay) that might ruin some laid-back beats.

As for the DT770/990, they are too V-shaped, recessing the rapper's voice too strongly. If a track has highs (which rarely happens with Hip-Hop), they probably will be annoying. You pay a lot for a kinda natural timbre (though some frequencies are emphacized, the overall sound of instruments is spot on), which is really a waste for Hip-Hop/Rap and will also take away the feeling of an underground locale.

I'd look out for warmth, deep bass with natural decay, little treble and not too recessed mids.
That's my take, but I'm not a rapper and I don't know your preferences, but I'd thus miss out on Beyerdynamic and Ultrasone (ironically my two preferred brands) if I were you...
I'd also look into Audio-Technica and Sennheiser, but I don't know many models by them.

Edit: Looking at your sources, your budget is way too high, btw.
And forget about an amp and portable DAC. Modern Hip-Hop is extremely badly produced by some sneaker shoe sellers who have spent too much money on equipment.

May 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 9
You may interest to start read about ATH Pro700 MK II and Beyer DT770/80. :)

P.S: I won't call mid section of 770/80 as "recessed", yes it isn't as forward as Grado, but no other is like Grado for sure.

May 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Some additional options for ya:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 Ohm

Denon AH-D1100, D2000

ULtrasone HF-780, PRO 750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back