Hip Hop: An Analysis
May 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #76 of 108
Music affects people in entirely different ways, music is a subjective thing so there is really no point going into what is and is not music.
If something is regarded by the majority as music, then what makes it not music? I seriously doubt that every listener of hip-hop or rap is wrong.

May 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #77 of 108

Quote:
Music affects people in entirely different ways, music is a subjective thing so there is really no point going into what is and is not music.
If something is regarded by the majority as music, then what makes it not music? I seriously doubt that every listener of hip-hop or rap is wrong.

Quote:
Obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinions. We can discuss the merits of rap lyrics and rhythm all we want, but we'll never come to agreement. For me, the magic of great music has always been about the creation of something more than the sum of its parts. And just because hip hop breaks someone's conventional notions about what music should sound like doesn't mean it can't be amazing in its own right. I like hop hop. I could point out a certain lyric or two, but what would be the point? I like it because it grabs my heart and shakes me from the inside out. Art doesn't have to have a reason; some art is just art.

Thank you, two people who have either actually got what I'm saying or already understood it's entirely subjective. Cliche's are generally overused, but that is because they work, and "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" fits really well for this situation. Or maybe we should say here instead "Musicality is in the ear of the beholder".

May 24, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #78 of 108

I know opinions are opinions, but I feel as if Uncle Erik is rather stubborn and has his mind made up already... so no matter what people post it will just be pushed aside

Like me, maybe one day you will learn to appreciate hip hop and other genres of music that you once avoided. In the mean time, why don't you actually listen to some of the good stuff posted here and critique it? I'm sure you can find some time on the weekend to do this. I would recommend starting with Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest which is one of my favorites.

As for sampling... Get Endtroducing by DJ Shadow and let it grow on you a few days. Then come back and tell me that sampling is devoid of talent.

May 24, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #79 of 108
If you believe that the musical merit stems from composition and instrumental complexity, you lost the plot. Chances are, you are not interested in music at all. Rather, you view the entire thing as a pissing contest

May 24, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #81 of 108
Personally I like my music to be so complicated it can only be played by machines.

May 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #82 of 108
Quote:
As for sampling... Get Endtroducing by DJ Shadow and let it grow on you a few days. Then come back and tell me that sampling is devoid of talent.

X2, I consider it art. It only took one listen for me... 

May 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #83 of 108
The funny is that that Uncle Erik owns a pair of Grado HP2's, and there is not another headphone that I have heard that does better justice to that album imo. Absolutely stunning

I'm would be genuinely curious to hear his opinion of it, but he probably abandoned this thread by now

May 25, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #86 of 108
No, I haven't abandoned the thread. The HP-2 is wonderful, but it doesn't help a lack of talent.

I'll stand by my opinion. Poetry might fit the description, but an Excel spreadsheet of clichés applied randomly wouldn't be terribly different. If all someone can offer is couplets (loosely defined, of course) filled with clichés and stereotypes, where's the value? It's just another talentless snorefest.

And why would someone try to block posts, anyway? Can't handle an opinion that differs from yours? Stop being an infant. I've never blocked anyone - I actually value disagreement. I'll read what anyone has to say and am not afraid of anyone who disagrees. Argument is a good thing.

Though I've put this out before, I find a stunning lack of originality or musical worth in this genre.

The lyrics are clichés, ones going back a good 20 years.

No one plays instruments.

There is no original musical composition.

At best, the vocals are spoken word; there isn't any singing.

Musical refrains are stolen from other artists.

Rap/hip-hop is boring and pointless. Creativity in the genre (admittedly, there was some) died about 20 years ago. Compared to all other genres, there's very little of value. Shame it turned into a cookie-cutter stereotype; the genre had potential in the late 80s/early 90s.

May 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #88 of 108

Quote:
And why would someone try to block posts, anyway? Can't handle an opinion that differs from yours? Stop being an infant. I've never blocked anyone - I actually value disagreement. I'll read what anyone has to say and am not afraid of anyone who disagrees. Argument is a good thing.

Well said that.

Erik has his opinion and that's fine.

But vocal talent I have to say is more than present in hip hop. My most favourite part.
2pac had an english degree. Others read dictionaries in their spare time. If you tell eminem to rap about the objects in your room, he can in an instant. It's a life for these guy's, like 'The game,' and not just a way of making money. They don't rap about the same things. They don't recycle lyrics. That is talent and dedication. Becoming a rapper does not require one to be from a upper class family and being sent to a 20k a year boarding school. Then the royal college of music in kensington london. I mean people slagg off footballers (soccer players) as being under-talented and overpaid. And for me the single fact that crushes this argument is the amount of competition there exists that you have to overcome to become the best. Far far more than any other genre- and if you can proove to me otherwise, go for it. That's where the talent lies- beating this competition.

Some of the artists mentioned here are of the exotic breed. Some prefer them, but in hip hop I don't. I think the talent lies in the tried and tested- yes the mainstream. Usher/ne yo have great voices (not my favourite- soprano's in classical or reformulated rock/celtic/....genres take my vote). These guys have true technique. So too does chris brown, however hateable he is. They may have learnt their style from jako- but he's the best there has been.
Again I think its sieving the gold from the crap that is the issue, with justin bieber/ rick ross and hundreds of others polluting the environment. And these 'pollutants' don't last long. The one hit wonders as they say. Another issue is in my view, the general lagging of female vocie quality. That exists in bounds in pop music, but also in hip hop for females the emphasis isn't on musical talent. There of course exists some though- Hear jlo's spanish album 'como ama una mujer.' Again, leaving from a purely musical point of view- you cannot say that is not something. And I don't know how badly you hate the x-factor simon cowell franchise. Probably not as much as me. But I have to hold my hands up and admit to the only thing good i've come across- leona lewis has a stunning voice.

Take the much loved on headfi diana krall. Some of her music I like, some stinks. IMO she is talented with her voice, but not greatly by any means.

I like to comment on things on headfi that are understated. It's no point for me to talk on how the IE8 has a large soundstage/ which classical pieces move me. Plenty of others have done that.

May 25, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #89 of 108
A tribe called quest both has people playing instruments, few clichés and original music composition so please stop bringing that up.
Also not all rap and hip-hop are samples of other music.
Eminem generally does not use clichés in his older stuff and he portrays atmosphere and imagery brilliantly.

Just because you do not like a genre of music does not mean you can go around saying that it isn't music.
So please refer to it as a dreadful genre of music if anything.

Since when did you have to play an instrument to be a musician? look at practically all atmospheric or electronic music.
Hip-hop also requires the artist to loop beats and samples to the point that they barely resemble the original, so I consider this playing an instrument.
Overall you seem to just be disregarding the artists that do not feed into your perceived view of hip-hop and rap.
There are hundreds of artists that combine traditional hip-hop with jazz and other genres, there are also many artists that do not use clichés in their lyrics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back