Hiii Head-Fiers! Glad to Join the Community!
Sep 27, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #46 of 227

This is indeed the route I'm going, more or less.  A modest DAC/amp and several headphones to try out, so you can find what you really want in a headphone.  Good luck with your search!

Yess, there is much to learn and try out so it will have to be a timely process. Thank you and for your help getting me started on my sonic journey!

By the way, I'm leaning toward this for the 5.1 setup:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/logitech-logitech-5-1-computer-speakers-system-z906-980-000467/10179850.aspx?path=be43d18f8c3e11834e3dc1263acdf259en02

Do you think that is an alright way to go or would you recommend something a little more basic? Better? Hmm. I'm not sure I understand the difference between computer speakers and well.. regular speakers? Can't both be adapted to fit in any environment with the right cables and adapters? Is the 'computer' label basically flagging that it's worse than standard?

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #47 of 227

Yess, there is much to learn and try out so it will have to be a timely process. Thank you and for your help getting me started on my sonic journey!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/logitech-logitech-5-1-computer-speakers-system-z906-980-000467/10179850.aspx?path=be43d18f8c3e11834e3dc1263acdf259en02

Do you think that is an alright way to go or would you recommend something a little more basic? Better? Hmm. I'm not sure I understand the difference between computer speakers and well.. regular speakers? Can't both be adapted to fit in any environment with the right cables and adapters? Is the 'computer' label basically flagging that it's worse than standard?

What size room would you be putting the surround sound setup in? For most bedrooms I would recommend something quite a bit better in quality, though not all that much more expensive: the Klipsch Quintet http://www.klipsch.com/quintet

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #48 of 227

No way jose.  The only way to do surround is with a good A/V receiver, bookshelf speakers or even floorstanding in the front depending on your room size, surround speakers in the rear.  I guess bookshelfs or floorstanding for the side channels too if you do 7.1.  Logitech = no no.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #49 of 227
  What size room would you be putting the surround sound setup in? For most bedrooms I would recommend something quite a bit better in quality, though not all that much more expensive: the Klipsch Quintet http://www.klipsch.com/quintet

10' x 13' if I recall correctly. I don't have any floor space available, my desk takes up 9' x 6' and after a twin bed there is just enough room for a long dresser-like entertainment compartment and a walkway to the closet. So the speakers will need to be on the desk, under the desk or wall mounted.

There's no sub woofer with the Quintet?

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #50 of 227

No way jose.  The only way to do surround is with a good A/V receiver, bookshelf speakers or even floorstanding in the front depending on your room size, surround speakers in the rear.  I guess bookshelfs or floorstanding for the side channels too if you do 7.1.  Logitech = no no.

Haha, so no Logitech, gotcha. Well, the desk itself surrounds my seating area so it would be ideal for center/F right/ F left/R right/ R left and probably the sub on the underside. I've never had more than just left and right so I don't really know how that would be set up, especially if a 7.1 would be possible. Could you show me a link demonstrating what you think would be acceptable for my situation then? Something inclusive of one of these receivers you keep mentioning would be nice to see and research upon.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #51 of 227

Haha, so no Logitech, gotcha. Well, the desk itself surrounds my seating area so it would be ideal for center/F right/ F left/R right/ R left and probably the sub on the underside. I've never had more than just left and right so I don't really know how that would be set up, especially if a 7.1 would be possible. Could you show me a link demonstrating what you think would be acceptable for my situation then? Something inclusive of one of these receivers you keep mentioning would be nice to see and research upon.

I can't help so much with your specific situation, but here is an example of more or less an ideal 5.1 setup.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/5-1-surround-sound.svg/2000px-5-1-surround-sound.svg.png

You may have to wall mount the surround channels.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #52 of 227

I can't help so much with your specific situation, but here is an example of more or less an ideal 5.1 setup.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/5-1-surround-sound.svg/2000px-5-1-surround-sound.svg.png

You may have to wall mount the surround channels.

That's definitely interesting. I thought the fronts would be NE / NW and the rears would be SE / SW. I wonder why they're banked so much closer toward the front when they're trying to accomplish merging sound that sounds like it is coming from behind you. The desk is gigantic, and can probably fit those angles nicely on top of the desk. I would of course wall mount it if it made the system sound better. I guess I'll have to experiment and get a savvy friend to help me with the positioning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulltghws1ovnni2/TCC.png?dl=0

It's a lot bigger than it appears. Hmm, do you have any recommended alternatives if you think Logitech is definitely not the way to go? For 5.1 + receiver setup?

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #53 of 227

That's definitely interesting. I thought the fronts would be NE / NW and the rears would be SE / SW. I wonder why they're banked so much closer toward the front when they're trying to accomplish merging sound that sounds like it is coming from behind you. The desk is gigantic, and can probably fit those angles nicely on top of the desk. I would of course wall mount it if it made the system sound better. I guess I'll have to experiment and get a savvy friend to help me with the positioning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulltghws1ovnni2/TCC.png?dl=0

It's a lot bigger than it appears. Hmm, do you have any recommended alternatives if you think Logitech is definitely not the way to go? For 5.1 + receiver setup?

Interesting desk.  So you'd definitely use bookshelf speakers for the front-L and front-R channels, and surround speakers for the surround channels.  They can all fit on your desk.  If you raise your monitor then you can put the center channel below it, otherwise you can mount it above the monitor somehow.  As for subwoofer placement I have no idea.  A subwoofer is not even 100% necessary at that range, if you use good speakers.

I recommend getting a used highly rated 5.1 receiver, probably from Denon or Yamaha or maybe even Pioneer.  Then start off with just the two front bookshelf speakers if you're trying to work within a $200 budget (Micca MB42X is the lowest I can recommend and it still surpasses a $200 budget with a receiver).  Then as you get more funds, get yourself a center channel (Micca MB42X-C?) and some surround speakers.

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #54 of 227

Interesting desk.  So you'd definitely use bookshelf speakers for the front-L and front-R channels, and surround speakers for the surround channels.  They can all fit on your desk.  If you raise your monitor then you can put the center channel below it, otherwise you can mount it above the monitor somehow.  As for subwoofer placement I have no idea.  A subwoofer is not even 100% necessary at that range, if you use good speakers.

I recommend getting a used highly rated 5.1 receiver, probably from Denon or Yamaha or maybe even Pioneer.  Then start off with just the two front bookshelf speakers if you're trying to work within a $200 budget (Micca MB42X is the lowest I can recommend and it still surpasses a $200 budget with a receiver).  Then as you get more funds, get yourself a center channel (Micca MB42X-C?) and some surround speakers.

I'm honestly not worried about budget. Sure it'll take more time to save up for, but when I say I wanna hear the hype of HQ audio, I mean it! haha. So I'll probably do similarly as I am with the converter/amplifier combination. Start with a low end (yet higher-end for their brand) Logitech complete 5.1 system, since it is affordable, then keep my eyes open for a receiver ASAP, and I can at least enjoy a surround speaker system while I save up a year to get some Miccas so I can really feel the substantial upgrade. Thank you again for your advices and the various brands to search up for all of the equipment. You've been a real big help, I won't forget this! ><

I'll still be primarily using headphones as it is so, I don't mind cheaping out on the speaker system temporarily. It's either that or no system and take ages with no system to get a great HQ system, yeah?

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #55 of 227
Getting the Logitech system is a waste of money since you'd end up trashing it in the future.  Opposed to starting off with a receiver and good bookshelf speakers, which leaves you with two perfectly good speakers to use in the mean time, until you eventually buy more speakers (not replacement speakers, just extra for the surround channels and center channel).

But you have the right idea with the quality of speakers you need; for gaming you don't need anything very good at all.  The quality of video game sounds is all over the place.  I don't plan on getting Hi-Fi speakers either since I'd just be using them for PC gaming.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #56 of 227
  I'm honestly not worried about budget. Sure it'll take more time to save up for, but when I say I wanna hear the hype of HQ audio, I mean it! haha. So I'll probably do similarly as I am with the converter/amplifier combination. Start with a low end (yet higher-end for their brand) Logitech complete 5.1 system, since it is affordable, then keep my eyes open for a receiver ASAP, and I can at least enjoy a surround speaker system while I save up a year to get some Miccas so I can really feel the substantial upgrade. Thank you again for your advices and the various brands to search up for all of the equipment. You've been a real big help, I won't forget this! ><

I'll still be primarily using headphones as it is so, I don't mind cheaping out on the speaker system temporarily. It's either that or no system and take ages with no system to get a great HQ system, yeah?

Honestly I have had surround sound speaker sets, and have set one up for my father, and it just isn't all it is cracked up to be. You get a much more immersive experience with headphones, and a much higher quality experience with just two regular speakers, unless you wanna spend thousands on a surround sound system. If you want a good experience with speakers, a good pair of bookshelf speakers/desktop monitors will give you quite the experience. The KEF X300A or LS50 for example, would be a FAR superior experience to any surround sound setup under several thousand dollars. The X300A also doesn't require a receiver as it has Amp/DAC built in.

You keep saying budget is no issue....why not just get the Hifiman HE-1000 with a Ragnarok and just be done with it? lol

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #57 of 227
  Getting the Logitech system is a waste of money since you'd end up trashing it in the future.  Opposed to starting off with a receiver and good bookshelf speakers, which leaves you with two perfectly good speakers to use in the mean time, until you eventually buy more speakers (not replacement speakers, just extra for the surround channels and center channel).

But you have the right idea with the quality of speakers you need; for gaming you don't need anything very good at all.  The quality of video game sounds is all over the place.  I don't plan on getting Hi-Fi speakers either since I'd just be using them for PC gaming.

That is true. I guess I really want to at least feel the 5.1 drive in the meantime, a little impatient there. Hmm. Maybe I should get a sub $100 set so that trashing them in the future won't feel like a waste as I replace them in the suggested order, as that seems most logical of an order. Start with the fronts, center, receiver then surround channel speakers.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #58 of 227
  Honestly I have had surround sound speaker sets, and have set one up for my father, and it just isn't all it is cracked up to be. You get a much more immersive experience with headphones, and a much higher quality experience with just two regular speakers, unless you wanna spend thousands on a surround sound system. If you want a good experience with speakers, a good pair of bookshelf speakers/desktop monitors will give you quite the experience. The KEF X300A or LS50 for example, would be a FAR superior experience to any surround sound setup under several thousand dollars. The X300A also doesn't require a receiver as it has Amp/DAC built in.

You keep saying budget is no issue....why not just get the Hifiman HE-1000 with a Ragnarok and just be done with it? lol

Holy moly, those KEF X300As! Pricey but the quality I'm reading about them. Neutral, clarity with all ranges wowww, I am definitely keeping my eyes open for those at a better price while I save up. Might even be the fronts I get. Would I benefit getting a center, sub and rear speakers to complete the surround setup? Would it require a receiver to get the optimal quality on said additions to the mentioned KEFs? Those look amazing. Gosh I wish I could test hear them right now!

I completely agree with you though, headphones are the ultimate for personal immersion. I'll be working on the quality of my headphone listening as a higher priority than getting a solid 5.1 system up. I just gotta keep in mind I'm not looking to rock the bedroom below mine to disturbance, even during the day, it'll be in my bedroom and for just me as one person who cherishes her hearing and wants to not damage my ears so I don't necessarily need powerful speakers, I just want the source quality to be fantastic and HQ. Headphones will still get at least 90% of my total listening time even if I do start giving speakers more of my attention. Thanks for the suggestion, I have a slightly better idea of what to look for in specification ranges and pricing.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #59 of 227

No issue as in I'm not going to limit my 'late-game' (for lack of better equivalent term for life in general) setup because of something as silly as a price tag. I may not have a whole lot more time, so I will save up vigorously until I darn well have them! While I'm waiting though, since again I may not have a whole lot of time in my run, I am thinking to have at least something while I'm waiting for the HQ audio to roll in, which it will, regardless of price. I may not be too bright but I am surprisingly determined when I've made up my mind.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #60 of 227

No issue as in I'm not going to limit my 'late-game' (for lack of better equivalent term for life in general) setup because of something as silly as a price tag. I may not have a whole lot more time, so I will save up vigorously until I darn well have them! While I'm waiting though, since again I may not have a whole lot of time in my run, I am thinking to have at least something while I'm waiting for the HQ audio to roll in, which it will, regardless of price. I may not be too bright but I am surprisingly determined when I've made up my mind.

Haha I totally understand xD My end goal for headphone audio is the Hifiman HE-1000 with an adequate DAC/Amp combo to match. And the price I end up paying is irrelevant because I just WILL have it within the next few years xD. Concerning what you want in speakers, I really think you'll love the X300As or LS50s. Keep in mind though that the X300A is a stand alone set, and you can't add any more to it. Though I doubt you would want to once you actually heard them haha.

If you are looking for a good budget pair of desktop speakers, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is about as good as it gets for budget pair, and I can certainly vouch that they are a fantastic value for money that beats anything logitech could hope to make. http://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-Media-Computer-Speaker-System/dp/B0030ZLZ5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443420091&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+promedia+2.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back