Hiii Head-Fiers! Glad to Join the Community!
Sep 24, 2015 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 227

Mackenzie

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm kinda shy on the internet, I'm an introvert and I am unsure what else to say about myself so I'll get to my audio related history.

This is pretty embarrassing, but my entire life I have never been to any concerts and have never really experienced quality audio nor placed any particular interests in it. The most I've had is an old ghetto-blaster for radio and cassettes, a stereo CRT television, or for computers a simple left and right speaker that pretty much collects dust as I prefer to use headsets. I always buy the cheapest headset I can get at The Source or other reputable electronic stores that looks like it will block out external sound and keep my audio private. Usually in the $30 - $50 range. So yeah, always stereo, always very basic. I play games much more than I listen to music, but enjoy both quite often. Never had an actual audio card in my computer either.

That is until today. About a week ago I decided I wanted to hear for myself what the big hype was about for high quality audio instead of just being okay with audio as a lowest priority in my gaming/music sessions in my free time. I've been researching all sorts of websites and areas of the internet, especially this one. So I bought an Asus Xonar DGX audio card that fits in a PCI Express slot nicely. The installation was very quick and easy, so was installing the drivers from the CD. I plugged my headset into the audio jack of the new card and the music I listened to on it so far has been vastly superior. Having sensitive hearing I was able to immediately able to tell a significant difference. Then I clicked the check box for Dolby Headphone Technology.. I was in awe. I tried the DH-1, DH-2 and DH-3 modes, each of them I could see having a really awesome purpose for various types of games or genres of music. Something I hadn't really put thought into before, but after having listened to a few familiar songs using the new card and its various settings...I was literally brought to tears. I can't believe I did this to myself for so many years and didn't even know it.

Interestingly enough, I realize I'm probably not even a quarter way there in terms of potential headphone quality, so I also purchased headphones, a model from AKG, the Q701s. I play a lot of FPS games competitively and after a lot of research those ones spoke out the most to me for being the most accurate and suitable with a wide sound stage that will apparently enhance positional accuracy detection. I was already able to tell positions somewhat well, so I can't wait to try with them on with Dolby activated. I have a feeling things are really going to pick up in terms of audio quality once they arrive and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll also be keeping my eyes open from something similar to the Q701s but closed back for more privacy and seclusion from the outside world of noises. Any recommendations for this would be fantastic and appreciated!

So to give this thread more of a purpose, hopefully it isn't breaking any forum rules or standards, I was hoping I could ask a few questions about my audio card's Xonar control panel, as a lot of these functions are new to me and I don't quite understand which options would be suited best for which purposes, so if some of you experienced audio experts wouldn't mind sharing some of your wisdom I'd happily read it and see if I can utilize the information in some way to my own style of listening quality.

I have an option for 2, 4, 6 or 8 channels. I'm not sure I'm hearing much of a difference. 8 channels seems to sound slightly further away but more clear? I could be hallucinating as that may be entirely for a speaker setup but I have no idea, I'm trying to figure this out by carefully listening. Advices welcome!

I can choose Headphone or FP Headphone. I'm not sure why but when I choose FP option, everything goes silent, even if I reload the application / video. All of the other options (speakers) sound significantly worse than headphones, but that's pretty obvious as I wear a headset (and soon, headphones). So what is this FP Headphones option, and would I want to use it for anything?

The next option I don't understand at all it says SPDIF Out then a drop box below with only one option "PCM" with a checkbox next to it. I hear the audio skip for a super short millisecond as I toggle this, but I can't hear any difference between it being checked or not. What is this PCM?

There is a HP Advanced dropdown box with three settings. VOIP Mode, Pro-Gaming Mode, and Exciter Mode. The main difference I noticed is the volume significantly amplifies between these settings. Is volume basically what this adjusts, or is it changing more of a signature behind the scenes that I'm not accustomed to hearing yet?

The mixer, EQ and preset options are straightforward, I used those plenty in my media players even with bare quality. So I suppose the last setting I don't really understand is, what is AEC? Acoustics Echo Cancellation. I understand what it describes it would do, but do any of you actually use this for anything? If so, what do you use it for, when is it appropriate?

Thank you for reading! Hopefully it wasn't too much for you guys, I look forward to replying and posting more often as I delve deeper in the world of quality audio.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 227
Hello, welcome. I definitely wouldn't say I'm having a problem, just undergoing a learning process haha. You should get an audio card if you can afford it, so worth it!

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 227
Probably a good thing to consider. I do all of my listening from my bedroom. ><

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 227
No welcomes to the universe of audio or suggestions for the newcomer? Kenzie be sad. :[

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 227
Hello and welcome.  Not many of us use ASUS Xonar sound cards I wager but I'll try to answer some of your questions.  For gaming, I'd guess that setting channels to 8 and enabling Dolby Headphone is ideal (not Dolby Digital Live).  

PCM is an audio format.  If you're not using the sound card's optical output then checking it shouldn't make any difference.

When listening to music you'll want to disable all sound card "optimizations" and revert back to 2 channel.

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 227
When listening to music you'll want to disable all sound card "optimizations" and revert back to 2 channel.

Heyy Rhamnetin, thanks for the welcome!

I did notice a certain accuracy and crisper quality when it's back to default options, thanks for pointing that out. I can see why it would be the best option in terms of quality. I have to admit though, hearing music with some of the optimizations active can sound fascinating too, I might just mix it up from time to time and keep it fresh.

Thanks for explaining PCM, that makes sense. Is there any great reason to go optical?

Do the 'many of you' use an alternative to sound cards altogether or a higher-end sound card?

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 227

Heyy Rhamnetin, thanks for the welcome!

I did notice a certain accuracy and crisper quality when it's back to default options, thanks for pointing that out. I can see why it would be the best option in terms of quality. I have to admit though, hearing music with some of the optimizations active can sound fascinating too, I might just mix it up from time to time and keep it fresh.

Thanks for explaining PCM, that makes sense. Is there any great reason to go optical?

Do the 'many of you' use an alternative to sound cards altogether or a higher-end sound card?

A reason to use the optical out would be to connect to an external DAC for better sound quality.  I do this with my Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD.  

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 227
Interesting. I think I'll have to give that a try in the next few months as funding frees up.

You use this device for headphones, yeah?

Is the quality of using optical definitively better than a non-optical connected DAC, or is it subjective?

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 227
  Interesting. I think I'll have to give that a try in the next few months as funding frees up.

You use this device for headphones, yeah?

Is the quality of using optical definitively better than a non-optical connected DAC, or is it subjective?

It varies per device.  Many DACs have a lackluster USB input section, so often times optical and coaxial result in a cleaner signal unless you use something like the Gustard U12 or unless you have a DAC with a very good USB input section.  Although if you want to use a DAC with your sound card then your only option is optical out, as your sound card does not have a USB output or coaxial output.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 227
Hmm, I see. I think I understand, I've never used one of those converters if that wasn't already obvious. Trying my best to learn this though.

I'm all for quality, please, by all means suggest what route you think I should go for maximizing quality on the AKGs. Any suggested devices? I'm fine with going optical and not worried about budget, but I don't need to really overkill things I won't even notice for gaming/some music listening. This is why I went with the Xonar card, seemed the best price for performance for my needs.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 227
Hi Mackenzie, welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet. :)

Have you read anything about local meets in your area? Assuming you are in British Columbia, Canada right now, there are talks about another Calgary meeting for November 15th in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763636/11th-calgary-head-fi-meet-sunday-may-31st-2015-at-university-of-calgary/135

Do not be shy about posting in this thread, as things change by the hour, especially when the meet is planned and is less than 24 hours from the planned time.

Edit: Oops, Calgary is in Alberta. There are other meets being planned in Canada as well, like Toronto and Montreal.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 227
  Hmm, I see. I think I understand, I've never used one of those converters if that wasn't already obvious. Trying my best to learn this though.

I'm all for quality, please, by all means suggest what route you think I should go for maximizing quality on the AKGs. Any suggested devices? I'm fine with going optical and not worried about budget, but I don't need to really overkill things I won't even notice for gaming/some music listening. This is why I went with the Xonar card, seemed the best price for performance for my needs.

The Q701 would certainly benefit from an external DAC and amp, for music at least.  For gaming not so much.  The Schiit Modi 2 (Uber) DAC or a JDS Labs ODAC, along with a Schiit Vali amp, seem to be popular pairings for the Q701.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #15 of 227
Hi Mackenzie, welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you read anything about local meets in your area? Assuming you are in British Columbia, Canada right now, there are talks about another Calgary meeting for November 15th

Heyy pbui44, thanks for the welcome. Wallet? I don't recall budget being a problem haha.

I have read quite a bit about these meets. The problems are not only am I publicly shy an insecure about meeting strangers but I don't think my doctors would recommend I do any traveling. Not to get too personal but I have a lung disease, so I'm stuck indoors most of the time. I also live on Vancouver island, which makes accessing the majority of Canada even more difficult. I might be able to attend one in Victoria as that is not too far away, but I will probably be advised against that as well by medical professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back